Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    Pepper Jelly is another favourite in grilled cheese in our house, in lieu of mayo and pickles.

Wait, pickles and grilled cheese??? noooo
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    The only acceptable addition to grilled cheese is butter (garlic butter also seems fine) for the grilled sides of the bread (of course) and then tomatoes and/or bacon/ham (although if you add ham it becomes a ham and cheese sandwich, not really a grilled cheese).

I still do not get this mayo on a toasted item thing.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The only acceptable addition to grilled cheese is butter (garlic butter also seems fine) for the grilled sides of the bread (of course) and then tomatoes and/or bacon/ham (although if you add ham it becomes a ham and cheese sandwich, not really a grilled cheese).

I get the mayo on toasted things, but warm pickles sounds terrible. And I'm going to have to counter the garlic butter... only because I'm not a fan of garlic. I like more of a sweet/savory combo... so sweet onion butter or honey butter on grilled cheese is a must :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

I get the mayo on toasted things, but warm pickles sounds terrible. And I'm going to have to counter the garlic butter... only because I'm not a fan of garlic. I like more of a sweet/savory combo... so sweet onion butter or honey butter on grilled cheese is a must :)

But dill pickle pizza is good, and those are warm pickles.

<ducks and slinks away before the violence starts>
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I quite like a fresh bread untoasted cheese and chutney sandwich
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited June 2019
    I like my toasted cheese sandwich with butter and a thin scraping of marmite on the outside of the top slice. Anything else we call a Toastie. In our family, Toasties usually have thin sliced tomatoes and ham strips added, but other fillings are acceptable too. The butter and marmite is a family favourite on toast of any kind.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    There are at least two restaurants in my area specializing in grilled cheese (one also serves poutine). There used to be another, but it closed...but I think I recently heard that a new grilled cheese restaurant was opening this year. They put all manner of stuff on their sandwiches from pulled pork to lobster. But I am a purist and like my grilled cheese with just tomato...preferably on rye bread...with a cup of tomato soup.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

But dill pickle pizza is good, and those are warm pickles.

<ducks and slinks away before the violence starts>

Wait....what? I’ll just....pretend I didn’t hear that. :s

That said....fried pickles are good, and those are warm pickles.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Purple broccoli ? Any better than Normal broccoli ? 🤔

Nah, tastes exactly the same. Like purple potatoes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    *glares at y'all* With all this talk about pineapple on pizza, I got to jonesing for a slice of hawaiian pizza and gave in to it today. Best I Don't Know How Many Calories I ever ate. Altho I did weigh it. Even tho I wasn't planning on logging it.

And, to keep this on topic, I asked our client who walked in whilst I was eating it also whilst on the phone with another client if he likes pineapple on his pizza and he said no but he's not a fruit eater. His wife does tho and I said she has good taste. :)
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

From Father's Day with my son. He took me to Friendly's and I had Butter Pecan ice cream with crispy bacon topping. I think I'm still sweating it off, but Mother of Pearl it was good.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    MrUgly wrote: »
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

From Father's Day with my son. He took me to Friendly's and I had Butter Pecan ice cream with crispy bacon topping. I think I'm still sweating it off, but Mother of Pearl it was good.

Ice cream and bacon.. I can't even imagine
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited July 2019
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

I can imagine it! Bleaughhhhhh! But then I have a ❤️/😈 relationship with bacon. I used to love it, now I can't stomach it!
  • slimgirljo15
    edited July 2019
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

I can imagine it! Bleaughhhhhh!

Lol.. the idea is so foreign to me, it would be like dropping ice cream in a beer or pairing sardines with stewed peaches..

• slimgirljo15
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Bacon makes everything better.

Everything.

I do love bacon.. just not with my dessert. :D
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited July 2019
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

Lol.. the idea is so foreign to me, it would be like dropping ice cream in a beer or pairing sardines with stewed peaches..

The first is just a short step from ice cream soda, which is quite nice, but that may be a step too far!
  • slimgirljo15
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

The first is just a short step from ice cream soda, which is quite nice, but that may be a step too far!

True.. I think it's an American thing, I've seen pics of donuts with bacon on them too.
    Where are you from Terri?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

Now there's an idea with potential. I reckon ice cream in a shandy could be really pleasant...
  • TerriRichardson112
    @slimgirljo15 I’m from UK. I live in Northern Ireland.