Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    It looks very fattening and something that I would never try because my stomach would burst. But I am like that you enjoy it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Had a fun argument with a coworker about Krispy Kreme doughnuts today and it reminded me of this thread.

Her: They're impossible to pass up, so good yummy.

Me: Meh. I'd take even a stale Entenmann's boxed doughnut over KK.

Her: :astonished:

*laughs* My pastor thinks that Krispy Kreme is the next best thing to manna from heaven.

I stopped at a Krispy Kreme donut shop last weekend to see what all the hype was about, and all I could think was meh - so so. I've had much better donuts from Sheetz convenience stores and I'll take a stale Dunkin's over a Krispy Creme any day!
    Krispy Kreme has gone downhill. I used to be able to eat them until I collapsed. Now I can actually stop at four. Quality control these days yaknow? :(

Agreed! I could eat them by the box many years ago. They would just MELT. Now they are meh.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Had a fun argument with a coworker about Krispy Kreme doughnuts today and it reminded me of this thread.

*laughs* My pastor thinks that Krispy Kreme is the next best thing to manna from heaven.

I stopped at a Krispy Kreme donut shop last weekend to see what all the hype was about, and all I could think was meh - so so. I've had much better donuts from Sheetz convenience stores and I'll take a stale Dunkin's over a Krispy Creme any day!
    Krispy Kreme has gone downhill. I used to be able to eat them until I collapsed. Now I can actually stop at four. Quality control these days yaknow? :(

Agreed! I could eat them by the box many years ago. They would just MELT. Now they are meh.

Serious question... has the quality changed or is it just that the hype has died down, the glamour has diminished, and you're realizing that they're not as great as you thought they were?
  • Boomshakalaka01
    Boomshakalaka01 Posts: 65 Member
    Organ foods or anything I consider a domesticated pet.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

And to think you were my favorite.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I would be curious about more polarizing foods. I have eaten a Franescino in Portugal (not worth the calories)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesinha
    https://www.tasteporto.com/top-francesinhas-in-porto/

and poutine in Canada (not worth the calories either)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

:cry: :cry:

Look, I'll split a bag of Oreos with you any day, but KK doughnuts are just like eating spoonfuls of sugar. :tongue:
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member

Look, I'll split a bag of Oreos with you any day, but KK doughnuts are just like eating spoonfuls of sugar. :tongue:

... you say that like it's a bad thing XD

Have you seen the "Irish People Try" episode on YouTube that features Krispy Kreme donuts?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

KK > Dunkin donuts tho
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I would be curious about more polarizing foods. I have eaten a Franescino in Portugal (not worth the calories)

OMG what a fat, cholesterol, triglyceride, and calorie bombs those things are!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019

KK > Dunkin donuts tho

No.
    A DD glazed chocolate cake donut, or a Boston creme, with a coffee is a great way to face a Monday.

So you guys feel free to chase that KK, less cars in front of me at the DD drive thru :innocent:
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

The first wouldn't interest me at all, but the poutine I might be willing to try!

No.
    A DD glazed chocolate cake donut, or a Boston creme, with a coffee is a great way to face a Monday.

So you guys feel free to chase that KK, less cars in front of me at the DD drive thru :innocent:

Ah, a good boston creme donut! Though I personally want the custard inside a powder sugar dusted donut, so I'll scrape the chocolate off the top and give you that.

otherwise, you're a gal after my own heart, and I'll meet you at DD for a sugar free latte and a donut, and leave the KK to other folks lol
  • Carlos_421

And...what's the problem? Lol
  • acpgee
    I ate the infamous spleen sandwich (fried in lard) in Palermo, Sicily which would probably also be considered polarizing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pani_câ_meusa
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited September 2019
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Serious question... has the quality changed or is it just that the hype has died down, the glamour has diminished, and you're realizing that they're not as great as you thought they were?

It's hard to really tell. KK was a rare treat for us because we didn't have a store in my area, so we'd only get them when some kid group or school group would sell them as a fundraiser. Last time I had them was a trip to a city that had a store, and it just wasn't the same. Could be a quality change, could have been that store compared to the fundraiser boxes, but it could have also been just me growing older and having my tastes change.
  • Carlos_421
    Wait...are y'all eating cold Krispy Kremes?
    You're supposed to eat em hot or not at all, folks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    This is certainly going to drive up my reaction count in a certain category, but I have yet to find a doughnut that seems worth the calories to me. They look wonderful, so I keep hoping and trying them (now and then! ;) ), but they always disappoint me. I'm not sure why.

Yes, I've tried all the normal national chains, the local-ish chains, specialty and "gourmet" purveyors in my area and various other places. So far, a pretty big calorie expenditure for meh.

Don't get me wrong: There are lots of desserts/sweet treats that I put in the oh-so-worthwhile category, including some seriously non-fancy ones. I just haven't found the doughnut yet that goes there.
  • acpgee
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is certainly going to drive up my reaction count in a certain category, but I have yet to find a doughnut that seems worth the calories to me. They look wonderful, so I keep hoping and trying them (now and then! ;) ), but they always disappoint me. I'm not sure why.

Yes, I've tried all the normal national chains, the local-ish chains, specialty and "gourmet" purveyors in my area and various other places. So far, a pretty big calorie expenditure for meh.

Don't get me wrong: There are lots of desserts/sweet treats that I put in the oh-so-worthwhile category, including some seriously non-fancy ones. I just haven't found the doughnut yet that goes there.

You are probably not looking for a doughnut in the "worth the calories" category, but I would recommend a homemade beignet, or freshly made churros dipped in a warm chocolate or cinnamon sauce in a good Spanish or Mexican restaurant.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Good beignet or, my favorite, a really good apple cider donut. My green market has people who do good ones, as well as a few local places, but Ann might still think they aren't worth it, as I think most cake is not worth it, but good pie is, and some (weirdly and wrongly) ;-) prefer cake to pie.

I've never had a worth it (or good) Krispy Kreme, but I've been told it's about freshly-baked hot Krispy Kremes and we don't get that here. So who knows.