Goals. Ugh

Options

Replies

• yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    We just all here trying to get all our chit together man. Thats what goals are for.

But there was talks of ghosts? What about goblins?

Leave it to you to come in here and throw everyone off track Trouble 😂
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    yogidani77 wrote: »
    My goals are ever changing. At first I just wanted to lose the baby weight and hit my "pre baby" weight. Then I wanted to be as thin as possible. Then I started lifting heavy and my goals were constantly chasing PRs on deadlifts, bench and squats. Then I felt inspired to do a bodybuilding competition, did one. And now I want to nationally qualify at my next body building competition.

I think goals is just you know, something personal for you that you want to achieve, no matter how big or small. For me personally, I am much more disciplined if I have a goal to aim towards. That's just me.
    daizirose wrote: »
    I set goals every month. You can have short term goals or long term goals. Examples for your body....

Cardio 3 x per week (Anything you like or something specific)
    Strength 2 x per week (Whatever you like)
    Drink 8 cups of water per day
    Track food
    Cut out bad carbs and sugar

Mind....
    Meditate 20 mins per day
    Read positive affirmations
    Take a class, research

Spirit....
    Pray everyday
    Daily bible reading/devotions

Insert your own interest. It's easier to accomplish things if it's something you like to do. Also make some goals somewhat challenging so that you stepping out of your comfort zone. But not overwhelming. Lose the all or nothing thinking. You can track your goals in a journal like you would track your food. Does it always happen? Nope!!! However setting goals helps you to procrastinate less and do more. hth
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo

This is great stuff! Not that everyone’s post aren’t great, but these really inspire me. I also think that goals should be attainable but also challenging and ever changing as well.
    I have always gotten better results when I had a goal to work toward. I have lost weight and reached an “ideal” weight more than one time but have never been successful in maintaining as long as I have this time. I think that has a lot to do with setting goals and working toward those and also having a fitness community that I can talk to that helps me feel accountable.

I used to think the whole friends thing on here was lame - but after hanging out in good ol chit chat a bit - you cats are some cool peeps and really have inspired me to get of my *kitten* this year so - thanks for you and your goals yo 👊

I got ya fam!!! I’m going to be checking up on your progress towards those goals Mr!!!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    We just all here trying to get all our chit together man. Thats what goals are for.

Nobody takes goblins seriously man, they’re like gargoyles. A running joke

But what about ghosts and goblins togethe?

Gremlins are goblins - you ain’t never seen a documentary on gremlins have you- gotta go with caco in this one tank - it’s ghost hunters not goblin hunters for a reason my man

I'll have you know a certain video game before my time ruined my childhood, circa 1985. :P Goblins are real!

Leave it to you to come in here and throw everyone off track Trouble 😂

You are delirious. I am not trouble o:) And this thread needed me. Don't you see how it got bumped after I commented
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Setting goals and working towards them makes me happy. I do not enjoy complacency. I do not look down on those that dont mind it.....my happiness comes from being self aware of what makes me tick. I do not feel bound by working towards a goal, i feel energized and alive. I dont like living in gray area, and sometimes we have no choice, but i thoroughly enjoy eliminating as much of it as possible. Goals give me answers, and even when the goals may change mid flight.....its still an answer or insight into what makes me tick.

When you are a busy person goals are almost a must. If you don’t set goals for yourself then things do not get done.
    It is good that you can adapt when things don’t necessarily go as planned and rework your goals to accommodate new situations. Some people allow themselves to be thrown off by the unexpected and give up if things don’t go their way. Being able to go with the flow and remain goal oriented is a much better option :)
    I think generally humans are trying to forever find a purpose. Setting goals gives every little thing they do every day some kind of purpose. I share your sentiments, @caco_ethes. I don't particularly care to do anything with purpose. Nothing wrong with it though.

But like anything purpose is subjective right - I have no real purpose to get fitter than i already am other than I just want to see if i can - I want to see if I’m disciplined enough- but I’m not sure what purpose it serves in the grand scheme - if I decided not to do this nothing would change good or bad I don’t guess ... hmm good thread caco good thread indeed

See? It’s a rabbit hole! The subjectivity of it is what drives me nuts. I’m an accountant, man. I need things black and white.

I’m curious how this whole concept fits in as well. Are people who readily meet inner and outer expectations more goal driven? See the quiz below

https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/

I am a goal oriented person, although I do favor being well rounded- inculcating the inner and outer expectations.

It is always good to be well rounded. As I said goals are good but you have to be able to deal with sometimes not reaching those goals or having to change them :)

I am a "failure isn't an option" type of person. I can defer goals for a time for something more pressing, only that by year's end, it's likely completed. Goal setting for me is about attitude and aptitude. Makes zero sense to set unattainable goals. You are likely more forgiving of incomplete things than I am. ;)

Eta:

If I love someone, I have a tendency to be more obligatory. My selfless self will meet the needs, wants, goals & desires above mine, which isn't to say that my own will not be met, it just means I have a full timetable.

If I am coming off like a rebel ... Mostly my culture right now, it is because I loathe fakeisms. I will stand up for those who are under represented, even risking popularity with the "in sets."

If I am coming off as being overtly inquisitive, the target person or group doesn't have my trust.

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Setting goals and working towards them makes me happy. I do not enjoy complacency. I do not look down on those that dont mind it.....my happiness comes from being self aware of what makes me tick. I do not feel bound by working towards a goal, i feel energized and alive. I dont like living in gray area, and sometimes we have no choice, but i thoroughly enjoy eliminating as much of it as possible. Goals give me answers, and even when the goals may change mid flight.....its still an answer or insight into what makes me tick.

When you are a busy person goals are almost a must. If you don’t set goals for yourself then things do not get done.
    It is good that you can adapt when things don’t necessarily go as planned and rework your goals to accommodate new situations. Some people allow themselves to be thrown off by the unexpected and give up if things don’t go their way. Being able to go with the flow and remain goal oriented is a much better option :)
    I think generally humans are trying to forever find a purpose. Setting goals gives every little thing they do every day some kind of purpose. I share your sentiments, @caco_ethes. I don't particularly care to do anything with purpose. Nothing wrong with it though.

But like anything purpose is subjective right - I have no real purpose to get fitter than i already am other than I just want to see if i can - I want to see if I’m disciplined enough- but I’m not sure what purpose it serves in the grand scheme - if I decided not to do this nothing would change good or bad I don’t guess ... hmm good thread caco good thread indeed

See? It’s a rabbit hole! The subjectivity of it is what drives me nuts. I’m an accountant, man. I need things black and white.

I’m curious how this whole concept fits in as well. Are people who readily meet inner and outer expectations more goal driven? See the quiz below

https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/

I am a goal oriented person, although I do favor being well rounded- inculcating the inner and outer expectations.

It is always good to be well rounded. As I said goals are good but you have to be able to deal with sometimes not reaching those goals or having to change them :)

I am a "failure isn't an option" type of person. I can defer goals for a time for something more pressing, only that by year's end, it's likely completed. Goal setting for me is about attitude and aptitude. Makes zero sense to set unattainable goals. You are likely more forgiving of incomplete things than I am. ;)

Eta:

If I love someone, I have a tendency to be more obligatory. My selfless self will meet the needs, wants, goals & desires above mine, which isn't to say that my own will not be met, it just means I have a full timetable.

If I am coming off like a rebel ... Mostly my culture right now, it is because I loathe fakeisms. I will stand up for those who are under represented, even risking popularity with the "in sets."

If I am coming off as being overtly inquisitive, the target person or group doesn't have my trust.

Anyone who knows you, KNOWS. You have the mental strength of military SFers. You still deliver after torture. There's no downtime, you recover and continue. Failure never was/is in your line of sight. Mission complete has always been your mind-set and your track record, under pressure. Even in here - You entered Nov 2012 weighing 359 lbs having already dropped from 995 lbs, earlier in the year. That's commitment. That's dedication to fulfill your goal-setting. #Harda$$ is your reputation. Your credibility. What you expect of others and yourself. You are uncompromising. Nothing disrupts your targets, soft or hard.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    My goals are ever changing. At first I just wanted to lose the baby weight and hit my "pre baby" weight. Then I wanted to be as thin as possible. Then I started lifting heavy and my goals were constantly chasing PRs on deadlifts, bench and squats. Then I felt inspired to do a bodybuilding competition, did one. And now I want to nationally qualify at my next body building competition.

I think goals is just you know, something personal for you that you want to achieve, no matter how big or small. For me personally, I am much more disciplined if I have a goal to aim towards. That's just me.
    I set goals every month. You can have short term goals or long term goals. Examples for your body....

Track food

Mind....
    Meditate 20 mins per day
    Take a class, research

Spirit....
    Pray everyday

Insert your own interest. It's easier to accomplish things if it's something you like to do. Also make some goals somewhat challenging so that you stepping out of your comfort zone. But not overwhelming. Lose the all or nothing thinking. You can track your goals in a journal like you would track your food. Does it always happen? Nope!!! However setting goals helps you to procrastinate less and do more. hth
    I’m going to try to do a cut the next 10-12 weeks - just too see if I can - I’ve never set any real goals before - but will be 40 in sept - and my mantra if you will for 2019 was to be fit by 40 - being the procrastinator that I am I didn’t start working out til April and now it’s close to September i figure should probably get serious - so I started today and we’ll see how it goes - if I have abs by September I’ll throw a selfie in the shirts off thread like a mfp’n boss yo

This is great stuff! Not that everyone’s post aren’t great, but these really inspire me. I also think that goals should be attainable but also challenging and ever changing as well.
    I have always gotten better results when I had a goal to work toward. I have lost weight and reached an “ideal” weight more than one time but have never been successful in maintaining as long as I have this time. I think that has a lot to do with setting goals and working toward those and also having a fitness community that I can talk to that helps me feel accountable.

I used to think the whole friends thing on here was lame - but after hanging out in good ol chit chat a bit - you cats are some cool peeps and really have inspired me to get of my *kitten* this year so - thanks for you and your goals yo 👊

I have a theory that there are some obliger tendencies behind this
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My goal is that I simply desire to constantly grow into a better person. What constitutes as a better person is like a revolving door, ever changing depending on your current needs in life. Currently I’m working on my time management skills and being a more dependable person.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

What day in September?

Dude, we are the same age--to the day

Lol small world man - but fugg 40 bro

It'll be cool, I didn't expect to make it past 36 for some weird reason so it's all been bonus since then

All her life my sister thought she’d die at 37. She’s 39 now. 😊

@your_future_ex_wife

.... so she's living on borrowed time, huh ?

I bet she's fun.
    Living gratefully and I guess sort of surprised.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    (Didn’t read any responses, just popping in because #goals is literally my profile pic)

🤣

I’m slightly sad because that hairstyle is no longer an option in Bitmoji 😑
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Options

What the heck are my goals supposed to even be? Am I supposed to be trying to set up a side hustle? Should i be dissatisfied with my existence in the absence of any real goals?

What your goals are are very personal. I think overall its people breaking "the person they want to be" down into bite size pieces they can work on.

Should you be dissatisfied? I guess that depends on how you look at the definition of a goal. I think of it as a very wide range of things. They can be as simple as get up and get through the day so I can have fun over the weekend. Or as big as losing 100 lbs, training for a marathon, getting a degree, starting up your dream company. If you consider my first example a "goal" then I think having none at all is a sign of some serious depression, basically lacking the will to live at all. But, if you only consider the big goals as being goals then I don't think a lack of them is really a bad thing. There are stages in life. Maybe you wanted to start a family, and you have. You can't just keep popping kids out forever, you just have to manage the goal you already achieved at some point :)

After writing that it made me think maybe they are better classified as goals for building/change and goal for maintaining whatever you already achieved, just because something isn't changing doesn't mean it doesn't require alot of effort to maintain, and it's ok to love the maintenance part of life too.

• Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options

Track food

Mind....
    Meditate 20 mins per day
    Take a class, research

Spirit....
    Pray everyday

I have a theory that there are some obliger tendencies behind this

Perhaps - I’m a man of the people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I watch a LOT of motivational youtubers and they all talk about waking up early to work on and journal about and prioritize their goals. The more I hear this, the less it makes sense to me, kinda like saying the name Lois over and over. You know. Like you do.

Anyway, the idea of goals has been on my mind a lot lately. What the heck are my goals supposed to even be? Am I supposed to be trying to set up a side hustle? Should i be dissatisfied with my existence in the absence of any real goals? Just what am I missing out on??

Just curious what your goals are, specifically. I mean really specifically. Also.. how did you realize these were your goals? Does one just sense their goals? How do i know what i want to want? The word ‘goals’ is infuriatingly abstract for me at this point.

Sorry if someone already said this but:

GOAL= Get Out And Look

Sometimes you don't know what you want until it surprises you one day. If you are asking yourself what your goals are, that probably means you are on your way to discovering what you want to achieve.
  • cee134
    Options
    I think generally humans are trying to forever find a porpoise. Setting goals gives every little thing they do every day some kind of porpoise. I share your sentiments, @caco_ethes. I don't particularly care to do anything with finding a porpoise. Nothing wrong with it though.

I have a new goal now. :)

• _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of setting goals although most of the time I don't accomplish them because I get sidetracked. I decided to make a goal for this summer and that was to spend less time on social media and spend my time enjoying my kids by traveling and doing activities outside of home, which is what I've been doing. So I suppose I can accomplish goals if I really set my mind to it.
  • cee134
    Options
    I like the idea of setting goals although most of the time I don't accomplish them because I get sidetracked. I decided to make a goal for this summer and that was to spend less time on social media and spend my time enjoying my kids by traveling and doing activities outside of home, which is what I've been doing. So I suppose I can accomplish goals if I really set my mind to it.

Every time I read about goals I always end up reading about SMART goals. Maybe this will help.

To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:

Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
    Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
    Achievable (agreed, attainable).
    Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
    Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Every time I read about goals I always end up reading about SMART goals. Maybe this will help.

Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).

So my new goal is to set my goals the proper way. The SMERT way
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

So my new goal is to set my goals the proper way. The SMERT way

Specific, Measurable, Equestrian, Relevant and Time bound.

GOALS.

@4legsRbetterthan2 this is right up your alley no?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

@4legsRbetterthan2 this is right up your alley no?

well I do have some horse related goals right now, so yup!