What is something you can’t believe people enjoy doing?

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    Getting really drunk. Why o why? I’m excluding alcoholics from this.
    Alcoholics still getting really drunk.
    After a few years of spending all your time, money, and energy getting drunk, thinking about getting drunk, you’d think they would look around and see what they are missing.
    I guess that may go for drug abusers, too?

In all sincerity I don't think people with substance misuse issues are truely enjoying themselves.

I don’t think so either. That’s the point. If they’re not enjoying it, on so many levels——-
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    Getting really drunk. Why o why? I’m excluding alcoholics from this.
    Alcoholics still getting really drunk.
    After a few years of spending all your time, money, and energy getting drunk, thinking about getting drunk, you’d think they would look around and see what they are missing.
    I guess that may go for drug abusers, too?

I think part of it is the dependency/addiction which their bodies start to crave but which also alters their perception. The other part is that very often they are using the drug to deal with or mask another issue/emotional pain etc which is why they are taking the drug in the first place. If they liked life I imagine that the chance of them being an addict would be dramatically less.

Just my opinion.

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Oh gee. Me & my mouth
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hunting

I love hunting, it's a hike where you get the chance to take home meat for the freezer.
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I will never understand how people feel the need to spend atrocious amounts of money on a vechile that approximately depreciates 20 percent of its value in the first year. As well as 15 percent each year afterwards, until after 10 years, in which it's worth becomes approximately 10 percent of what it originally cost.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I will never understand how people feel the need to spend atrocious amounts of money on a vechile that approximately depreciates 20 percent of its value in the first year. As well as 15 percent each year afterwards, until after 10 years, in which it's worth becomes approximately 10 percent of what it originally cost.

I bought brand new once, because I had the cash to pay for it outright... 19 years ago... I still drive it :)

I don't think I'd splurge on brand new again, however. Late model secondhand most likely.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Getting up in the early hours of the morning and going for a run.
    Running marathons, or even half marathons -- (ironically I ran track and regularly ran 4-5 miles for years, lol)
    Singing along to Journey.
    Letting dogs sleep in your bed
    Weed -- I understand why you like it, but it's never been nice to me!
    Going to school for-ev-errr
    Small towns
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Running. And mushrooms. I try them both about once a year to see if my tastes have changed. They’re both still gross though
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Running. I do it for health reasons but have never enjoyed it. I don't get how people get a runner's high - if I can't get one running 10 miles or more, I don't think I'm destined to experience it.

Watching sports.
    Fishing.
    Shopping (for anything - though I'd rather shop for food or tools than clothing).
    Sitting on the couch all weekend, every weekend instead of getting out and living life.

Hahaha pretty much my weekends! I totally get what you're saying. For me I feel like I give so much of my brainpower during the week that it's soothing and wonderful to just sit and do "nothing." I'll usually watch tv, read, chat with friends.

Shopping on the other hand, omg. I need to stop, for real.
  • FriendlyNeighborhoodEngineer
    Options
    Gossiping
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    Options
    Fishing, I just do not get the appeal of catching a live animal, throwing it back in and repeat.

I like to fish. Sometimes I'll even put a line in. Non baited, I just like to look the part.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Smoking. I can see how addicts would be driven to it, how they would physically need to do it to counteract withdrawal, but to actually enjoy it? How can purposely breathing in noxious chemicals be enjoyable?

It isn't
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options
    x2 on smoking. I know it becomes a nicotine addiction and understand why people do it after they're hooked. But you have to make yourself inhale the smoke and smell it and overcome the yuck before you actually become addicted - which is why I don't understand why people do it.

And kickboxing. I'd rather hear babies scream or be obese. No offense to those who love it.

There was a time, believe it or not, where Dr's would appear in cigarette ads and recommend certain brands. The Marlboro man and Joe Camel were heroes, and grocery stores had ash trays at the end of each aisle. Also, if you grew up watching your parents smoke.

The same things can be said about drinking alcohol. No one actually likes the first taste, it becomes an acquired thing.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options
    Internet dating. WTF lol
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    x2 on smoking. I know it becomes a nicotine addiction and understand why people do it after they're hooked. But you have to make yourself inhale the smoke and smell it and overcome the yuck before you actually become addicted - which is why I don't understand why people do it.

And kickboxing. I'd rather hear babies scream or be obese. No offense to those who love it.

There was a time, believe it or not, where Dr's would appear in cigarette ads and recommend certain brands. The Marlboro man and Joe Camel were heroes, and grocery stores had ash trays at the end of each aisle. Also, if you grew up watching your parents smoke.

The same things can be said about drinking alcohol. No one actually likes the first taste, it becomes an acquired thing.

like coffee
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options

like coffee

Are we talking coffee coffe, or complicated milk based drinks with a dash of coffee for color?
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

like coffee

Are we talking coffee coffe, or complicated milk based drinks with a dash of coffee for color?

Straight up, black coffee that actually tastes like coffee. I contend it is an acquired taste - one which I have acquired.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options

like coffee

Straight up, black coffee that actually tastes like coffee. I contend it is an acquired taste - one which I have acquired.

I would agree. See above about Marlboro man and parents
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    WSS. Black coffee....

made me google 😁