FASTING, love it or hate it?

Options
12346»

Replies

• 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just started intermittent fasting on a 16/8 schedule where I limit eating to 10a-6pm. I’ve heard that Keto would help me lose weight faster but I’m not doing Keto because I’d like the flexibility of eating what I want as long as I watch my macros. Also, I used to have an unhappy stomach that grumbled and made weird noises all the time but that’s stopped completely since I started IF.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    If you're doing the same thing every single day it is not intermittent. It is simply time restricted eating with defined periods of fasting and non-fasting. It used to be called daylight and dark. Day and night. Three hots and a cot. Or not.

Then we had to start overthinking everything related to food. Remember when you ate your mother's homecooked meals without giving the timing a single thought. Those were the days of true simplicity.

I'm glad that's over. My poor mother couldn't cook, lol. At least I don't mind burnt stuff.

My mom was from the generation of europeans who thought meat wasn't cooked until it was shoe leather, and veggies were only done when they were rendered into mushy anonymity. :D

I never understood why anyone would like steak my whole childhood. Then I actually had a steak that wasn't burnt to a crisp, and finally understood.

Opposite here. I had a fairly steady diet of raw lamb and other meats growing up. I still prefer it red and dripping today.

I really don't care about the woo this got lol, but for informational purposes for anyone interested, quite a few very tasty Lebanese dishes use raw meat.

Kibbe! Delicious!! I grew up with a family of Lebanese friends. I was always happy to be invited for dinner when it was kibbe, kousa and baba ganoush.

Mu OH also grew up with a family of Lebanese friends and the first dish he requested I cook for him was kibbe. However, this kibbe was cooked.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you're doing the same thing every single day it is not intermittent. It is simply time restricted eating with defined periods of fasting and non-fasting. It used to be called daylight and dark. Day and night. Three hots and a cot. Or not.

Then we had to start overthinking everything related to food. Remember when you ate your mother's homecooked meals without giving the timing a single thought. Those were the days of true simplicity.

I'm glad that's over. My poor mother couldn't cook, lol. At least I don't mind burnt stuff.

My mom was from the generation of europeans who thought meat wasn't cooked until it was shoe leather, and veggies were only done when they were rendered into mushy anonymity. :D

I never understood why anyone would like steak my whole childhood. Then I actually had a steak that wasn't burnt to a crisp, and finally understood.

Opposite here. I had a fairly steady diet of raw lamb and other meats growing up. I still prefer it red and dripping today.

I really don't care about the woo this got lol, but for informational purposes for anyone interested, quite a few very tasty Lebanese dishes use raw meat.

Kibbe! Delicious!! I grew up with a family of Lebanese friends. I was always happy to be invited for dinner when it was kibbe, kousa and baba ganoush.

Mu OH also grew up with a family of Lebanese friends and the first dish he requested I cook for him was kibbe. However, this kibbe was cooked.

holy heck. kibbe is freaking amazing. i've never tried it cooked though, only raw. i've seen it breaded and fried but...meh.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Maybe they meant "ewww" and picked "woo" because it rhymes :lol:

My family was terrified of undercooked meat for some reason while I was growing up, so I have a strong negative association with raw/undercooked meat. All of it was cooked well done for a couple of decades. That's loosened up a lot now, my dad's allowed to leave some pink when he cooks burgers and steaks now. But raw would've been scandalous!

We bought into "the most important meal of the day" stuff when I was a kid. But now even when I'm not doing IF, I delay eating a bit and limit the calories now.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm neutral. I did a once weekly water only fast when I was in college. I thought at the time that it helped me control my weight. I don't currently fast, but I'm not against it if it helps others maintain their deficit. To each their own, I say.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, there are 2 different ones. Cooked and raw cured with salt and spices. I've had both both 5he raw cures one is my favorite!
  • mmapags
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    I dont know why it has to be called fasting... it's more like just starting to eat a bit later
    Bingo.

I guess it was given a name so that people could more clearly identify it, and it was given a whole bunch of different time frames and a twack of unproven benefits, too. I've been doing IF for decades. I used to call it just skipping breakfast. <shrugs> But in order to get on a bandwagon, it needed a trendy handle, lots of arbitrary rules and levels of 'commitment' to distinguish the hardcore zealots from the merely mortal. ;)

It’s popularly called intermittent fasting to distinguish it from the other intermittent eating method many people practice called intermittent overeating or IO.

I practiced IO for a couple years and gained weight. Since mid-September 2018 I resumed IF and lost the gained weight plus more. I’ve never gained weight practicing IF but I’ve learned here at MFP that some have.
    There is such this as intermittent overeating?? Lol now my mind is blown. I totally agree with IF.. I've done it for 2 years. But I think giving it a name makes it seem complicated. All it means is that you dont eat in the morning (depending on what timing method you use). It's not some new genius weigt loss technique. It simply helps you save your calories and stay in a deficit

Bingo, again. And yes, the term IO is completely made up. That poster has a proclivity of insisting that people who gain weight using IF are card-carrying, strap-on-the-ol'-feedbag undisciplined gluttons. :D

Truth is, for anyone doing IF - especially with a longer non-fasting period of 8 hours - that is plenty of time to inadvertently consume a bit more than your maintenance calories for the day and, over time, gain weight. This is especially true for women who have a lot less calories to work with in a day to begin with. Combine this with not tracking caloric intake and it is actually pretty easy to slowly gain weight while technically following IF. No gorging involved. ;)

The ability to gain weight while doing IF is also indicative that the many magical properties commonly associated with this way of eating are entirely bogus.

Bottom line?

Intermittent Fasting is a method that can be used to help some people limit the amount of time they consume food during the day and, as a result, lose weight. However, limiting that time period is not beneficial, in and of itself, unless that also puts the person in the required caloric deficit needed to actually lose weight. That - like with every other diet strategy on the planet - is strictly a function of CICO. Consume less calories in a day than your body burns and you will, over time, lose weight. And the best way to make sure that you're actually in a deficit is to use a food scale and log your entries here on MFP. :)

Regarding the bold - I posted a NYT link elsewhere that had a huge list of meals that looked fine by anyone's standards, but were actually close to 2k calories per meal. 8 hours > one 2k meal for lunch and one for dinner and, unless your caloric needs are higher than average, that 4k calories just wrecked hopes of weight loss.

And as mentioned elsewhere as well as here, the idea of conflating overeating with gluttony is just ridiculous. Maintain at 2500k and eat 2550K every single day = over eating which will result in weight gain. No gluttony required.

IF has a higher moral value if it requires special effort, gluttony, or an eating disorder to defeat it. It can't be a simple tool to be used to assist in calorie control. It has to be something glorious because now it has a name like IF instead of being the crude notion of skipping a meal.

This makes me nervous as it possibly follows that actually enjoying a meal (as opposed to simply fueling up) may actually increase my caloric intake?

I need to re-assess my entire WoE now. :(

Oh yeah. You need you some "feeding windows" (not just eating times or it doesn't count) and some "discipline" and some "dedication" or you calories will count 20% higher. Because calories know the darkest intentions of your heart and what a glutton you really are deep down inside and how much you love to "IO"!! :D

Man! If I could only get an insightful I would bat for the cycle on this post!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I dont know why it has to be called fasting... it's more like just starting to eat a bit later
    Bingo.

I guess it was given a name so that people could more clearly identify it, and it was given a whole bunch of different time frames and a twack of unproven benefits, too. I've been doing IF for decades. I used to call it just skipping breakfast. <shrugs> But in order to get on a bandwagon, it needed a trendy handle, lots of arbitrary rules and levels of 'commitment' to distinguish the hardcore zealots from the merely mortal. ;)

It’s popularly called intermittent fasting to distinguish it from the other intermittent eating method many people practice called intermittent overeating or IO.

I practiced IO for a couple years and gained weight. Since mid-September 2018 I resumed IF and lost the gained weight plus more. I’ve never gained weight practicing IF but I’ve learned here at MFP that some have.
    There is such this as intermittent overeating?? Lol now my mind is blown. I totally agree with IF.. I've done it for 2 years. But I think giving it a name makes it seem complicated. All it means is that you dont eat in the morning (depending on what timing method you use). It's not some new genius weigt loss technique. It simply helps you save your calories and stay in a deficit

Bingo, again. And yes, the term IO is completely made up. That poster has a proclivity of insisting that people who gain weight using IF are card-carrying, strap-on-the-ol'-feedbag undisciplined gluttons. :D

Truth is, for anyone doing IF - especially with a longer non-fasting period of 8 hours - that is plenty of time to inadvertently consume a bit more than your maintenance calories for the day and, over time, gain weight. This is especially true for women who have a lot less calories to work with in a day to begin with. Combine this with not tracking caloric intake and it is actually pretty easy to slowly gain weight while technically following IF. No gorging involved. ;)

The ability to gain weight while doing IF is also indicative that the many magical properties commonly associated with this way of eating are entirely bogus.

Bottom line?

Intermittent Fasting is a method that can be used to help some people limit the amount of time they consume food during the day and, as a result, lose weight. However, limiting that time period is not beneficial, in and of itself, unless that also puts the person in the required caloric deficit needed to actually lose weight. That - like with every other diet strategy on the planet - is strictly a function of CICO. Consume less calories in a day than your body burns and you will, over time, lose weight. And the best way to make sure that you're actually in a deficit is to use a food scale and log your entries here on MFP. :)

Regarding the bold - I posted a NYT link elsewhere that had a huge list of meals that looked fine by anyone's standards, but were actually close to 2k calories per meal. 8 hours > one 2k meal for lunch and one for dinner and, unless your caloric needs are higher than average, that 4k calories just wrecked hopes of weight loss.

And as mentioned elsewhere as well as here, the idea of conflating overeating with gluttony is just ridiculous. Maintain at 2500k and eat 2550K every single day = over eating which will result in weight gain. No gluttony required.

IF has a higher moral value if it requires special effort, gluttony, or an eating disorder to defeat it. It can't be a simple tool to be used to assist in calorie control. It has to be something glorious because now it has a name like IF instead of being the crude notion of skipping a meal.

This makes me nervous as it possibly follows that actually enjoying a meal (as opposed to simply fueling up) may actually increase my caloric intake?

Oh yeah. You need you some "feeding windows" (not just eating times or it doesn't count) and some "discipline" and some "dedication" or you calories will count 20% higher. Because calories know the darkest intentions of your heart and what a glutton you really are deep down inside and how much you love to "IO"!! :D

Can I PM it to you instead?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Maybe they meant "ewww" and picked "woo" because it rhymes :lol:

My family was terrified of undercooked meat for some reason while I was growing up, so I have a strong negative association with raw/undercooked meat. All of it was cooked well done for a couple of decades. That's loosened up a lot now, my dad's allowed to leave some pink when he cooks burgers and steaks now. But raw would've been scandalous!

We bought into "the most important meal of the day" stuff when I was a kid. But now even when I'm not doing IF, I delay eating a bit and limit the calories now.
    I never understood why raw/rare was such a turn off to people with my upbringing. I couldn't get enough and had gotten into trouble for stealing the raw lamb. I had no concept of cost lol.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Bingo.

Bottom line?

You're pretty much taking home the gold in this thread :D Well done :)

*Fistbump*

As we say in Oaxaca, muchas gracias mi hermano!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

Bottom line?

You're pretty much taking home the gold in this thread :D Well done :)

*Fistbump*

As we say in Oaxaca, muchas gracias mi hermano!

De nada mi amigo!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    giphy.gif

This thread is closed for moderator review.

May I suggest that everyone take a few moments to review the Community Guidelines and ensure your posts are made with them in mind? No, really - please take a moment to actually read them. :flowerforyou:

Link here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

A friendly reminder: repeated violations of any guideline can lead to a member losing access to the community.
This discussion has been closed.