Anyone else tierd of logging?

Options
1235»

Replies

  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love logging not just for the calories but for what I learn about nutrients and foods. Take today, I learned that a cup of Cheerios (which I never eat) has a lot of iron. It was my highest intake of iron so far in 31 days. I'd never know these things without the logging and the daily reports you can view. I'm bit by bit learning how make food choices based on nutrients. That is how I'm changing my way of eating/cooking and losing weight as I go. I guess it could depend on what you're looking for with the data the logging provides.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,028 Member
    Options
    bosque1234 wrote: »
    I love logging not just for the calories but for what I learn about nutrients and foods. Take today, I learned that a cup of Cheerios (which I never eat) has a lot of iron. It was my highest intake of iron so far in 31 days. I'd never know these things without the logging and the daily reports you can view. I'm bit by bit learning how make food choices based on nutrients. That is how I'm changing my way of eating/cooking and losing weight as I go. I guess it could depend on what you're looking for with the data the logging provides.

    I get your larger point, and it is a good one.

    However, as far as iron goes, iron was added to Cheerios, so if you are anemic like me, take the value of that with a grain of salt. There are many forms of iron and I tried about a half dozen before I found a form that got both my iron and energy levels back up. I figure the form of iron food manufacturers add is even more cheap and useless than that in the useless pills I was prescribed.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if it’s just me or does anyone else get so tierd of logging every single thing they eat? I am starting to find it really mentally exhausting it’s like I am contanstly thinking about food and calories and my weight. I hate seeing my calories in the negative and I honestly feel stress about it if I am over .. anyone stopped counting and been alright with it?

    Yep. My goal is to eventually no longer have to....
  • showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    One of the better fitness accounts on YT. He does much more exercise than nutrition, but this video on counting calories (or not) dropped today. Just passing along. Might be of help to someone.

    https://youtu.be/wJ0QXCTqjUs
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    showjefb wrote: »
    One of the better fitness accounts on YT. He does much more exercise than nutrition, but this video on counting calories (or not) dropped today. Just passing along. Might be of help to someone.

    https://youtu.be/wJ0QXCTqjUs

    Like all systems it would work for some people. It would not work for me.

    The problem with his system still come back to food choices. Even without stacking in a single meal I can choose food that exceeds my calorie goal and fit it all in the designated areas. Many people will naturally assume they need to be eating lower calorie food if they are trying to lose weight. Others may think that they can eat whatever they want if it fits the plate.

    His comment about being a "slave to the app" does not apply to me either. I pay attention to what I am eating and the portion sizes. I can somewhat accurately estimate the things I eat on a regular basis. I push myself in this regard because I need this skill when I eat things that I have no option to weigh my food like a restaurant meal.

  • showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    showjefb wrote: »
    One of the better fitness accounts on YT. He does much more exercise than nutrition, but this video on counting calories (or not) dropped today. Just passing along. Might be of help to someone.

    https://youtu.be/wJ0QXCTqjUs

    Like all systems it would work for some people. It would not work for me.

    The problem with his system still come back to food choices. Even without stacking in a single meal I can choose food that exceeds my calorie goal and fit it all in the designated areas. Many people will naturally assume they need to be eating lower calorie food if they are trying to lose weight. Others may think that they can eat whatever they want if it fits the plate.

    His comment about being a "slave to the app" does not apply to me either. I pay attention to what I am eating and the portion sizes. I can somewhat accurately estimate the things I eat on a regular basis. I push myself in this regard because I need this skill when I eat things that I have no option to weigh my food like a restaurant meal.

    Absolutely. It is not a one size fits all deal. Just another option or tool in the tool belt.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of it. But then again I'm tired of struggling with maintenance. And half the time don't know how I'm going to keep doing this forever. But here I am, still doing it.
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

    >However, as far as iron goes, iron was added to Cheerios, so if you are anemic like me, take the value of that with a grain of salt. There are many forms of iron and I tried about a half dozen before I found a form that got both my iron and energy levels back up. I figure the form of iron food manufacturers add is even more cheap and useless than that in the useless pills I was prescribed.<

    I totally agree and understand. I am more amused at the Cherrios thing and don't plan to make that my 'main' source. How about sharing what foods you've found that work for you? Iron supplements cause me too much constipation.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    I am coming up on a year and 6 mo into maintenance. I stopped logging for a bit ... didn't go well.

    I prelog every day. I tend to eat one of two breakfast meals and lunch meals. Those are saved as meals, so super quick to log. My variety comes with dinner. Pre-logging helps me assure that I stay in my allotted caloriecrange without having to continually think about it during the day.

    So, logging for me takes about 2 minutes in the morning (or night before). Occasionally, I have to come back to the app and tweak entries, but not often. Not very burdensome.

    Yep, I do it like this too..
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What would make logging easier?

    I eat alot of the same food every week so its a matter of copying from previous days.
    I find the UI difficult to use and cumbersome so I was thinking of automating it by creating a program to do it for me.

    Maybe this program would be of a help to others if I can get a sense of what would be helpful to have.

    thanks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What would make logging easier?

    I eat alot of the same food every week so its a matter of copying from previous days.
    I find the UI difficult to use and cumbersome so I was thinking of automating it by creating a program to do it for me.

    Maybe this program would be of a help to others if I can get a sense of what would be helpful to have.

    thanks


    Logging would be easier if the MFP db were not full of erroneous entries.

    What makes logging really easier is just time and experience.

    The MFP API is not open to the public and I am not even sure what level of access they allow. I am afraid that whatever you automate will require so many options for customizing for each user that it will actually be more cumbersome.

  • Nikonana
    Nikonana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started and stopped My Fitness Pal many times, but this time it feels different, and for good reason.....my husband recently suffered heart issues and it hit me that I need to do everything I can to get healthy for myself and my family. I have about 100 lbs to lose, but I am not looking at that number because it would be discouraging and insurmountable to keep thinking of 100 lbs. So far I am at 15 lbs Not dieting, just being careful of the food I am putting in my mouth. I like logging. I find it interesting.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've been on a weight loss journey now for about 8 years - and before you say "oh wow, 8 years, what are you doing wrong", let me explain.

    I lost 50lbs in 2011 - 2012. It took a long time, lots of ups and downs and mistakes. I'm only human. Since then I tend to go up and down about 10-15lbs, get back on the logging band wagon and it comes off.

    EVERY TIME I stop logging, my weight goes up. I gain a few, I say "oh, it's only a few pounds, I'm tall and well within my healthy weight range, it's fine". Then all of a sudden my clothes don't fit.

    Yes, it's tiring after awhile. Yes, it's something you think of all the time. But honestly, if you have a goal and have little self control otherwise, logging works. Stay heavy or gain more weight or be annoyed with logging and lose weight. Your choice?

    My story is pretty similar to this, but I've been logging for six years. Do i get tired of it? Sometimes, and I get lax about logging...and then my weight climbs. To me, it's kinda like having a finacial log. You can see where your money goes and where you can improve or change something.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Five0Six wrote: »
    This is what killed me last time. I got to the point where I thought "Oh, I can do it intuitively now! No need to bother, it's so boring anyways."

    Nope, turns out I couldn't.

    Going to give it a go this week and see how I go!! Wish me luck 😃