Yogis Unite!

I'm unable to run right now and other exercise such as ballet and pilates very much "feeds" into my former eating disorder.
So I wanted an exercise that was good not just for my body but also my mind and spirit...hence I discovered yoga.

Any other yogis out here wanna be friends?

Favorite type of Yoga: Vinyasa (my studio has a warm vinyasa class Tuesday mornings that I love)
Favorite pose of the moment: Grasshopper Pose or advanced/side crow
Favorite Yoga Song of the moment: "Try Everything" by Shakira

Hope to talk to you all soon! Peace and light for your day-Namaste.

Replies

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yoga helped me transition out of a marriage past its expiration date, overcome abusing alcohol, and come to grips with some unpleasant childhood stuff.

Favorite song (artist): Krishna Das. Have seen him live many times. Was reading the sample of Ram Das's “Be Love Now” last night and got a kick out of the referrals to KD.

Favorite poses: balancing - yay for my big feet!

I'd like to get back into vinyasa...might do that today as it is too hot to be outside until the sun goes down, and then the mosquitoes come out.

I'm a terrible "feed friend" but active here on the forums.

Haha! Yeah...miserably hot here too. I'm just telling myself "hot yoga...kind of like doing hot yoga". But the park is so pretty and my friend is going with me. We'll grab a drink at the pub after then call it a night.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Been practicing almost 15 years now. I only do bikram and hot yoga! Favorite post is standing bow :smile:
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    I like the idea of yoga, but never have seriously given it a go. But I'd like to sometime! :)
    Probably videos that I can do at home as I'm not one for going to classes. I'd rather be alone when I fall over and fart.
  • maureenseel1984
    Fursian wrote: »
    I'd rather be alone when I fall over and fart.

I laughed out loud when I read that.

Check out "Yoga with Adrienne" and "Yoga with Candace" Both great especially if you're just starting out.
    I've found being open to the spiritual side of yoga and really using it to get in touch with my body-that has helped me get so much more out of it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    My husband and I started at an Iyengar studio about six months ago. I have long dabbled and have done a few rounds of 30 days with Adrienne, but this is my first practice with a teacher to correct form, and an Iyengar teacher will definitely correct your form!
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Fursian wrote: »
    I'd rather be alone when I fall over and fart.

I laughed out loud when I read that.

Check out "Yoga with Adrienne" and "Yoga with Candace" Both great especially if you're just starting out.
    I've found being open to the spiritual side of yoga and really using it to get in touch with my body-that has helped me get so much more out of it.

:mrgreen: Glad it gave a chuckle!
    Thank you for those recommendations!
    The spiritual side of yoga you mention, like meditation I guess, does sound appealing. Enjoy the yoga session at the park! I hope you eventually can get back into running, also! :smile:
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I've also been practicing on and off for quite a few years. And I'm also a pretty terrible friend!

Favorite Type: I'm cool with plain old Hatha. I get creative with my practice based on what other exercise I've been doing.

Current Favorite Pose: Trying to improve my Plow. I may have years of experience, but I have a tricky body and need to revisit some basics.

Music for Yoga? Black Tape for a Blue Girl. The older, more etheral stuff, like All My Lovers or the entirety of As One Aflame Laid Bare By Desire (I like my music a more than a little dramatic).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i like and teach aerial yoga. for 6ish years
    music-i don't have a favorite yoga song
    pose-side locust maybe
  • maureenseel1984
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    pose-side locust maybe

I've been intrigued by aerial yoga. I used to do pole and love doing tricks, etc. There's a studio where I live that does aerial yoga so I should check it out!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    pose-side locust maybe

I've been intrigued by aerial yoga. I used to do pole and love doing tricks, etc. There's a studio where I live that does aerial yoga so I should check it out!

i love it. i have myalgia and yoga on the ground is too hard for my joints but aerial yoga i can do :)
    and it's as easy or hard as you would like, simple or complicated just like yoga on the ground

lol at the woo
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    LOVE yoga...kundalini yoga is my fav
    Ravi and Singh
    https://www.raviana.com

Im not sure my fav pose
    I like rag doll, camel pose, crow pose, bow pose...
  • maureenseel1984
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Ravi and Singh

Im not sure my fav pose

Love camel pose. My crow pose is getting better and better-even got my side crow. I want to learn flying crow but holy crap...
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Ravi and Singh

Im not sure my fav pose

Love camel pose. My crow pose is getting better and better-even got my side crow. I want to learn flying crow but holy crap...

Im not sure ill ever be ready for that..LOL
    but feels great to stick with it and make progress
  • maureenseel1984
    It just takes time and practice. That's the thing with yoga-you can stick with the basics and still get a great workout-you can try the more advanced stuff. I used to do pole for fitness and it was SO fun because of the tricks and things-almost like gymnastics. I think that's why I like the more advanced yoga poses. Scratches the same itch.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Began practicing about twelve years ago, got serious following a bout of rheumatic fever that left me with a lot of joint pain, and stepped it up even more trying to lose weight". I do yin twice a week, flow five times a week (mostly hot), and hot Pilates five times a week.

Am a bit curious why you feel Pilates lends itself to eating disorder?

Favorite poses are cat tail, twisted and twisted-twisted root, full hero, and dragon. I used to love pigeon and twisted pigeon but my knees have started bothering me lately, soma, having to do a seated figure 4 pigeon to take the pressure off.

Yoga butt is a continuing problem, too.

Losing seventy pounds has made an amazing difference in my flexibility, and I’m starting to nail arm balances, which is a thrill at my age, lol. Am also getting tripod and trying to get enough courage to start sticking my legs up there in the middle of the room, and not relying on a wall.

There’s a reason its called a “practice”, y’all.
  • maureenseel1984
    Began practicing about twelve years ago, got serious following a bout of rheumatic fever that left me with a lot of joint pain, and stepped it up even more trying to lose weight". I do yin twice a week, flow five times a week (mostly hot), and hot Pilates five times a week.

Am a bit curious why you feel Pilates lends itself to eating disorder?

Favorite poses are cat tail, twisted and twisted-twisted root, full hero, and dragon. I used to love pigeon and twisted pigeon but my knees have started bothering me lately, soma, having to do a seated figure 4 pigeon to take the pressure off.

Yoga butt is a continuing problem, too.

Losing seventy pounds has made an amazing difference in my flexibility, and I’m starting to nail arm balances, which is a thrill at my age, lol. Am also getting tripod and trying to get enough courage to start sticking my legs up there in the middle of the room, and not relying on a wall.

There’s a reason its called a “practice”, y’all.

The tripd pose I've managed to get away from the wall. Handstands are way scarier LOL.

I don't think Pilates necessarily lends itself to an eating disorder-it did for ME personally...it was the focus on perfecting certain areas of my body or eliminating perceived flaws...so for me it was very unhealthy.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,424 Member
    I’ve been going to a local studio for about 7 months now. I modify most poses still, but my flexibility has definitely gotten better. My legs don’t hurt after working my 8 hr shift on my feet. I’ve lost 50 lbs in 11 months and the yoga seemed to help me keep focus and mindfulness during the holiday season. It seems to be helping my mindfulness just as much as it’s helping me physically. My favorite pose is fish pose
  • maureenseel1984
    I’ve been going to a local studio for about 7 months now. I modify most poses still, but my flexibility has definitely gotten better. My legs don’t hurt after working my 8 hr shift on my feet. I’ve lost 50 lbs in 11 months and the yoga seemed to help me keep focus and mindfulness during the holiday season. It seems to be helping my mindfulness just as much as it’s helping me physically. My favorite pose is fish pose

OOooooooh...yeah I do love fish pose/supported fish pose...great heart opener. Also love yogi squat...great hip opener.
  • Catrenasalmonte602
    Catrenasalmonte602 Posts: 2 Member
    I am an avid Bikram Yogi. Just wondering how to track this activity within the app.

Any thoughts?