Yogis Unite!

Replies

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    I am an avid Bikram Yogi. Just wondering how to track this activity within the app.

Any thoughts?

There are a couple levels of yoga listed on MFP...I don't worry about the calories burned so much. For something like Bikram, I'd see which one shows the most calories burned and log that. Lower kcal burns are probably from like hatha yoga/stretching.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I do vinyasa yoga once a week. I've been doing it for around 18 months.

I really like it. I'm a bit inept at it, and fall over if anything involves balance. But I suspect I'm way better at it now than when I started.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    My Apple Watch tracks yoga calories if I select yoga workout at the start of class. I was kinda curious if it was just doing a flat figure or was really calculating something. I did a two mile C25K type run immediately before a hot class this morning. The class seemed extra hot and extra hard and at the end, my watch had rewarded me with a ton of extra activity calories. I guess my heart rate was still up from the run.

But then I did a 75 minute yin class right after the hot class and only got seven calories for that one, lol. Probably because I kept dozing off during holds. And to be fair, I don’t have it calculate yin anyway. Seems kind of silly to do so.
  • maureenseel1984
    GET IT!

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    @maureenseel1984 thanks! I hadn’t heard that one called deaf man’s pose before.
  • julieweberr
    julieweberr Posts: 21 Member
    I'm always open for more yoga friends. I love yoga I do it often but I've been falling off a little because I want to do it at home too just for schedule purposes but I never really know where to start with it when I'm doing it by myself. I've tried videos and stuff but they never really match with the level they show and I am out of sorts with it so if you have any suggestions please share!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    looking good @springlering62 :)
  • maureenseel1984

Btw, note that quart jug of water, there’s a thread here that some instructors discourage water during class. 😱

I'm glad the instructors at my studio always encourage us to stay hydrated...I can't believe a teacher would say no water.
  • maureenseel1984
    I'm always open for more yoga friends. I love yoga I do it often but I've been falling off a little because I want to do it at home too just for schedule purposes but I never really know where to start with it when I'm doing it by myself. I've tried videos and stuff but they never really match with the level they show and I am out of sorts with it so if you have any suggestions please share!

I like to do my own home practice...and doing it on my own without an instructor or video was SUPER weird at first....but then once you get into it, not only is it easy but it's liberating and fun. You don't have to do it like I do, but this is how I go about doing my own home practice (sometimes outdoors is fun if the weather's nice)

1. I set an intention first-something I want to work on or get out of my practice. A lot of times it guides my music choices...I have a mantra to come back to, etc if my mind starts to wander.

2. I start in a relaxed position and work my way up. So child's pose...I love supported fish pose, etc.

3. I work my way into either cat/cow or a fun variation that I do from child's pose to cobra....REALLY good spinal stretch.

And from there the world is your oyster! I like deciding if I want a more intense practice/relaxed...then let that guide if I step/hop/float when I go through my sunrise salutations. I try to go through a flow so...warrior 1/2 and sometimes 3...sun salutations/chaturanga...and usually work on a hard/advanced pose just to challenge myself toward the end. Then wind down with seated stretches and/or wheel pose/happy baby depending on my mood...and of course shavasana.

Much luck to you! Namaste.
  • julieweberr

I like to do my own home practice...and doing it on my own without an instructor or video was SUPER weird at first....but then once you get into it, not only is it easy but it's liberating and fun. You don't have to do it like I do, but this is how I go about doing my own home practice (sometimes outdoors is fun if the weather's nice)

1. I set an intention first-something I want to work on or get out of my practice. A lot of times it guides my music choices...I have a mantra to come back to, etc if my mind starts to wander.

2. I start in a relaxed position and work my way up. So child's pose...I love supported fish pose, etc.

3. I work my way into either cat/cow or a fun variation that I do from child's pose to cobra....REALLY good spinal stretch.

And from there the world is your oyster! I like deciding if I want a more intense practice/relaxed...then let that guide if I step/hop/float when I go through my sunrise salutations. I try to go through a flow so...warrior 1/2 and sometimes 3...sun salutations/chaturanga...and usually work on a hard/advanced pose just to challenge myself toward the end. Then wind down with seated stretches and/or wheel pose/happy baby depending on my mood...and of course shavasana.

Thank you! Very helpful. :smiley: also this is a super random question but I've been seeing groupons for the aerial yoga, have you done that before? I want to try it but I don't know how advanced in yoga you need to be :neutral:
  • mbaker566

Thank you! Very helpful. :smiley: also this is a super random question but I've been seeing groupons for the aerial yoga, have you done that before? I want to try it but I don't know how advanced in yoga you need to be :neutral:

I teach it.
    no yoga experience is necessary for our studio. when i started i couldn't touch my toes and didn't know a warrior 1 from an eagle pose
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Working through the Ashtanga primary series at the moment. Because of some knee issues I can not really do the seated postures. That said, the standing ones are quite challenging...
  • julieweberr
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I teach it.
    no yoga experience is necessary for our studio. when i started i couldn't touch my toes and didn't know a warrior 1 from an eagle pose

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to get into it then!
  • julieweberr

I teach it.

is there weight standards or anything? I know I'm annoying I'm sorry!
  • mbaker566

I teach it.

is there weight standards or anything? I know I'm annoying I'm sorry!
    the fabric and rigging should be able to hold at least 2000 dynamic lbs.
  • maureenseel1984
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Working through the Ashtanga primary series at the moment. Because of some knee issues I can not really do the seated postures. That said, the standing ones are quite challenging...

I know-arm balances are way less of an issue for me, but a lot of standing balance poses are tough-Warrior 3 and Dancer pose are almost impossible LOL
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Powerclean2deadlift Posts: 35 Member
    This thread inspired me so much! I googled a morning yoga routine and did that today. Very nice wellbeing feeling. Definitely add this into my fitness routine.