Yogis Unite!

Replies

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    This thread inspired me so much! I googled a morning yoga routine and did that today. Very nice wellbeing feeling. Definitely add this into my fitness routine.

Huzzah!!!! Oh yay! I'm so glad! Yoga is my jam...good for the body, mind and soul.
    Namaste, new friend!
  • maureenseel1984
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I'm glad that I found this thread and have enjoyed reading the posts.

I've experimented with yoga for several years, but had not committed to it until this past fall, when I succumbed to pressure from my tri coach and chiropractor. As a result, I've taken a year off from racing to allow my body to recover via chiropractic care, swimming and establishment of a regular yoga practice.

My primary goal at the start was to use yoga to increase balance and flexibility in order to help with rehabilitation of an overuse injury. What I'm learning after eight months of practice is that I'm getting other benefits as well.

It took me a while to get over my mental limiters (as a very competitive, goal oriented person). I also felt a bit out of place as a very inflexible 61yr old guy in a room full of yogis who possessed terrific flexibility and balance. But once I was able to quiet my competitive urges and realize that the purpose is not to "win", but to make improvements only for myself, I realized how much I enjoyed the practice. I now see tangible improvements in my posture and flexibility. I've also become more attuned to my body's condition on each specific day. This awareness will be a huge help in avoiding injury when I return to triathlon next year.

I've even started to understand the mental benefits of a practice. I've used mantras before to help maintain performance during painful stretches in competition, but I'm starting to incorporate this into my daily routine. I've found that I now really look forward to practicing, whether at the studio or at home. The meditative state and focus on letting go of tension has provided a refreshing change of pace from the last few years of trying to always push my limits.

Finally, I've even come to grips with how ridiculous I look attempting some of the poses, and overcome my fear of falling and crushing the yogi practicing next to me. I think that shows true growth :)

So glad you've discovered a practice that you enjoy, embrace and get a lot out of!

I too am doing more yoga as I recover from running/overuse injuries and it's been helpful mentally and physically. We all feel like we look silly at times. For me it was embracing things like "Lion's breath" and "Breath of Joy" where I felt like I "looked dumb". Half the time everyone else is thinking that about themselves, not about the other yogi's in the room...and when you really embrace those movements and the breathing and technique-there's a lot to be gained from it!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    So glad you've discovered a practice that you enjoy, embrace and get a lot out of!

I too am doing more yoga as I recover from running/overuse injuries and it's been helpful mentally and physically. We all feel like we look silly at times. For me it was embracing things like "Lion's breath" and "Breath of Joy" where I felt like I "looked dumb". Half the time everyone else is thinking that about themselves, not about the other yogi's in the room...and when you really embrace those movements and the breathing and technique-there's a lot to be gained from it!

Yes, I was missing the larger point at first. I was thinking of yoga as just another workout session, ie, number of reps, miles, etc. and that the practice was only useful for a fixed number of weeks or months until I was "cured".

The chiropractor set me straight: "You need to think of a consistent yoga practice as a lifetime prescription from me." He is a 60yr old cyclist, hiker and trail runner who has overcome severe back injuries that occurred when he was in his 30's, so I'm hoping that he is right. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Here are my favorite inspirational yoga videos to watch (not to do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc&t=29s
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Wow. I may have pulled a hamstring just watching those videos. :)
  • maureenseel1984
    OMG those handstands!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    @julieweberr I did several aerial classes, both with my daughter, who’s an instructor, and at my own regular studio at the time. At the time I was 220, give or take. No problem feeling like the equipment could support me at either studio, but I won’t lie, the silks cutting into what others here affectionately call their “apron” was excruciating. I haven’t tried again since I lost the weight.

Maybe it was just me, but any time the silk stretched acrost my front hips I though I was going to holler or weep from the pressure but I bit my tongue. Everything else felt great, especially the shivasana, but ohhhhhhh, that hip pain.
  • MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Following
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    @julieweberr I did several aerial classes, both with my daughter, who’s an instructor, and at my own regular studio at the time. At the time I was 220, give or take. No problem feeling like the equipment could support me at either studio, but I won’t lie, the silks cutting into what others here affectionately call their “apron” was excruciating. I haven’t tried again since I lost the weight.

Maybe it was just me, but any time the silk stretched acrost my front hips I though I was going to holler or weep from the pressure but I bit my tongue. Everything else felt great, especially the shivasana, but ohhhhhhh, that hip pain.

Oh, yeah. Iyengar yoga uses ropes to hang in. Can't seem to get the pain that causes me across to the instructors.
  • maureenseel1984
    Alright, Yogis, I need to pick your brains.
    I'm working on floating to my handstand. So far I can only get there by kicking upward. My biggest issue is that my arms are long. Forward folds and touching the ground are zero effort for me (palms flat). So floating my legs feels impossible. I realize a lot of this could come from strength I need to build in my abs and back to be able to tilt my pelvis upward to float my feet-but any suggestions on this?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @maureenseel1984 there are some good hints here in the first post or so.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    I love doing yoga almost everyday. It's been three months since I am doing regular yoga. Want to be friends with #yogis here
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,168 Member
    ...an Iyengar teacher will definitely correct your form!

Yup, I'm on the other side of some of you. I only want to go to a studio with really good teacher. I always feel at home I'm just farting around.
  • kshama2001
    My husband and I started at an Iyengar studio about six months ago. I have long dabbled and have done a few rounds of 30 days with Adrienne, but this is my first practice with a teacher to correct form, and an Iyengar teacher will definitely correct your form!

I'm really happy that my first teacher was an Iyengar teacher. That gave me a great foundation.
  • kshama2001
    I’ve been going to a local studio for about 7 months now. I modify most poses still, but my flexibility has definitely gotten better. My legs don’t hurt after working my 8 hr shift on my feet. I’ve lost 50 lbs in 11 months and the yoga seemed to help me keep focus and mindfulness during the holiday season. It seems to be helping my mindfulness just as much as it’s helping me physically. My favorite pose is fish pose

OOooooooh...yeah I do love fish pose/supported fish pose...great heart opener. Also love yogi squat...great hip opener.

I haven't done restorative poses in ages. I almost went to a restorative class last night but it was too darn hot to leave the house. I did add Supported Bound Angle into my flow. I can't find my strap, and what I had wasn't quite long enough, and haven't done this in ages, so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked, but remember really loving it when I did it more often.

Supta Baddha Konasana

ReclinedBoundAnglePose.jpg

My OH has a strap I can use for next time.
  • maureenseel1984
    ...an Iyengar teacher will definitely correct your form!

Yup, I'm on the other side of some of you. I only want to go to a studio with really good teacher. I always feel at home I'm just farting around.

It took me a really long time to get past that feeling/thought process.
    Once I started making it a ritual...as on choosing a mantra...doing some journaling or meditation and really thinking about what I wanted to get out of my practice...it naturally flows (so to speak) once you start to make it habit and make it meaningful. I enjoy my home practice now. Before I always needed videos or to go to the studio.
  • maureenseel1984
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’ve been going to a local studio for about 7 months now. I modify most poses still, but my flexibility has definitely gotten better. My legs don’t hurt after working my 8 hr shift on my feet. I’ve lost 50 lbs in 11 months and the yoga seemed to help me keep focus and mindfulness during the holiday season. It seems to be helping my mindfulness just as much as it’s helping me physically. My favorite pose is fish pose

OOooooooh...yeah I do love fish pose/supported fish pose...great heart opener. Also love yogi squat...great hip opener.

I haven't done restorative poses in ages. I almost went to a restorative class last night but it was too darn hot to leave the house. I did add Supported Bound Angle into my flow. I can't find my strap, and what I had wasn't quite long enough, and haven't done this in ages, so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked, but remember really loving it when I did it more often.

Supta Baddha Konasana

ReclinedBoundAnglePose.jpg

My OH has a strap I can use for next time.

I want to nap just looking at supported fish pose. It looks so relaxing.
  • maureenseel1984
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @maureenseel1984 there are some good hints here in the first post or so.

Looking into it now!
  • toreybybee
    toreybybee Posts: 6 Member
    electronic music especially trance is always my go to. I am a raver so I find there is always a genre of edm to suit any activity I am doing, even yoga haha