Yogis Unite!

Replies

• MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2019

I haven't done restorative poses in ages. I almost went to a restorative class last night but it was too darn hot to leave the house. I did add Supported Bound Angle into my flow. I can't find my strap, and what I had wasn't quite long enough, and haven't done this in ages, so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked, but remember really loving it when I did it more often.

Supta Baddha Konasana

This is how I sleep naturally, eases my hips - even on my belly. I call it frog sleeping :)
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member

I haven't done restorative poses in ages. I almost went to a restorative class last night but it was too darn hot to leave the house. I did add Supported Bound Angle into my flow. I can't find my strap, and what I had wasn't quite long enough, and haven't done this in ages, so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked, but remember really loving it when I did it more often.

Supta Baddha Konasana

This is how I sleep naturally, eases my hips - even on my belly. I call it frog sleeping :)

OH my god I LOVE binds! I love bound chair pose.
  • maureenseel1984
    Also, just a little tidbit for you yogis out there today. The definition of Namaste-there are a lot of interpretations of it but...I thought this was so uplifting.

Namaste means “The divine light in me bows to the divine light within you.” However, a simple Internet search provides many beautiful meanings and translations of namasté, such as:

I honor the place in you where the entire universe dwells.
    I bow to the place in you that is love, light, and joy.
    When you and I bow to our true nature, we are one.
    My soul recognizes your soul.
    We are the same, we are one.
    I honor the place in you that is the same as it is in me.

(courtesy of the Chopra Center)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    we have some traditional conservatives and some straight up hippies in our area so when i teach i tell them it means:
    the light in me recognizes the light in you

but i love the whole thing. thanks for sharing @maureenseel1984
  • maureenseel1984
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    we have some traditional conservatives and some straight up hippies in our area so when i teach i tell them it means:
    the light in me recognizes the light in you

but i love the whole thing. thanks for sharing @maureenseel1984

Haha-I most definitely fit the hippie yoga chick description. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive either though. But there are some more conservative folks who are a TOUCH closed minded when it comes to "the universe" and "the divine" or understanding a broader meaning of those words.
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    I used to practice almost every day, but I fell out of the habit, focusing more on running and other strength training programs. Need to get back to it - I am a better version on me when I do it regularly. Good post :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I decided to try something new by riding my bike to Yoga class today. I only rode for an hour, but the route is essentially all climbing after the first half mile, so I was sweating and all warmed up when I arrived. Practice was slightly challenging, but I felt very good during the whole session. The final payoff was the long, downhill ride home, where very little effort was needed on my part! This could become a regular Saturday ritual as long as the weather is good. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited July 2019
    I walk to my studio. It’s a mile round trip and sometimes I walk up for morning and later evening classes. It gets to be such a habit you don’t even notice the walk.

I’ve started going an hour earlier and dropping my mat on the windowsill and either going for a brisk walk or a run. I actually like going into a hot class sweaty because I’m already loose from the other.

They are so sweet. If they see that mat and bottle, they bring them in and check me in for class. It’s nice having a “regular” studio.
  • maureenseel1984
    DaveJ_43 wrote: »
    I used to practice almost every day, but I fell out of the habit, focusing more on running and other strength training programs. Need to get back to it - I am a better version on me when I do it regularly. Good post :)

*Big hugs* I agree... I'm happier and more content when I do yoga routinely...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    We get to go back to the studio today after our regular class being cancelled all week!
  • maureenseel1984
    We get to go back to the studio today after our regular class being cancelled all week!

Glad you're able to get back to it! Why had they been canceled? I was bummed-this morning there was pop-up yoga in the park! I wish I'd known-would have packed my mat and joined in!
  • springlering62
    edited July 2019
    Got firefly today. She eased us into it and it was surprisingly easy. Could really tell I’ve built up some arm strength by doing the weights!

I liked the instructors’s passing comment today. “”Your mat is a combat free zone.”
  • maureenseel1984
    Hi beautiful yoga people! I’ve just given myself a fresh start on MFP..:I was tired of seeing my stats from pre-baby days.

I’ve been practicing most of the last 10 years. I started yoga teacher training in March, I’m about halfway through a 200-hour! It’s been one of the best decisions I have made.

My YTT style is core-strength vinyasa. I also practice slow flow and restorative, depending on the day and the needs of my body and mind.

Favorite poses: warrior III; flow between warrior II-exalted warrior; trusty old pigeon.

💖namaste

Hooray-hi there, fellow Yogi!

That's amazing! I've thought about taking the instructor training when I have the money...kinda expensive! Do you know at what point or how many hours you'll be able to teach?

Welcome! Namaste.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Hi there, nimble ones!

@maureenseel1984 : I checked out those people you suggested before (Yoga with Adriene, etc,), good stuff! It inspired me to start tooling around with various poses to see what I could do. I couldn't even touch my toes, it was a mess, LOL. Fast forward about a week though, and I could proudly touch my toes! This ground-touching revelation inspired me further, I want to achieve all the poses now! haha

One of the poses I'd really like to aim for is called the Monkey Pose (Hanumanasana), in one of your pictures (thank you for sharing, btw!), you are in this pose and I wanted to ask what particular training sequences you recall doing (if any) to easy yourself into the pose?

Thanks in advance, have a great day!
  • springlering62
    I am so excited! The weight training is paying off at yoga. Woot!!! Yesterday I got firefly and today we did sundial and then worked up to eight point pose. I got it on the first try and on both sides. I’m so pleased!

Now if only could hold that bothersome crow pose...... don’t ask me why I can hold the whack ones and can’t hold crow. Maddening!

I think it’s because I take my glasses off after I face planted into an accidental forward roll ages ago. Can’t see and that fear is always in the back of my head. I keep telling myself “if you fall, it’s what? Twelve inches”, but it still doesn’t help.
  • maureenseel1984
    Fursian wrote: »
    Hi there, nimble ones!

@maureenseel1984 : I checked out those people you suggested before (Yoga with Adriene, etc,), good stuff! It inspired me to start tooling around with various poses to see what I could do. I couldn't even touch my toes, it was a mess, LOL. Fast forward about a week though, and I could proudly touch my toes! This ground-touching revelation inspired me further, I want to achieve all the poses now! haha

One of the poses I'd really like to aim for is called the Monkey Pose (Hanumanasana), in one of your pictures (thank you for sharing, btw!), you are in this pose and I wanted to ask what particular training sequences you recall doing (if any) to easy yourself into the pose?

Thanks in advance, have a great day!

Time...stretching...stretch WARM muscles. And..time..and practice. It took me a really long time to get my splits/monkey asana.

I am so SO happy you're getting into yoga! That is awesome progress on touching your toes-soon it'll be the floor-then palms on the floor, just wait and see! I love that it is about seeing what our bodies can do and appreciating There are a few videos about working your way up to the splits. Careful if you have bad knees though. Also blocks and yoga blankets can be very helpful. Props help a lot with working your way up to different poses.
  • maureenseel1984
    I am so excited! The weight training is paying off at yoga. Woot!!! Yesterday I got firefly and today we did sundial and then worked up to eight point pose. I got it on the first try and on both sides. I’m so pleased!

Now if only could hold that bothersome crow pose...... don’t ask me why I can hold the whack ones and can’t hold crow. Maddening!

I think it’s because I take my glasses off after I face planted into an accidental forward roll ages ago. Can’t see and that fear is always in the back of my head. I keep telling myself “if you fall, it’s what? Twelve inches”, but it still doesn’t help.

I have issues with Warrior III and tree pose...it's a balance thing. A lot of standing balance I find has to do with hip alignment and making sure your hips aren't tilted.

For me crow pose is having my knees in that sweet spot on my triceps. Then it's just like a fulcrum/forward tilt.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Thanks, folks! I have decided to Adrienne back into each day.

Day 1 of 30 days of yoga and I can already see where I have improved since the last time I did this!