Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Wondered Where People Get Some of These Ideas?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    Besides, everyone knows the best diet was printed in Vogue, circa 1970's.

6a4r48ixd0lp.jpg

I have a real issue with that diet.
    Should be red wine with the steak.

I knew something looked off.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I want to know why men can lose their gut in 10 minutes a day but it takes women 15 minutes a day to blast their belly fat. :)

‘Double Standards’

..... the gift that keeps on giving.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    showjefb wrote: »
    Very interesting thread/topic!

The reality seems to be that as the fitness industry grows, so do people's waistline. I think most fitness people and probably some publishers are well intentioned. But so much of it is about generating revenue and having repeat customers (i.e. people that never lose weight or yo yo diet)

Definitely. MLMs in particular aren't making bank because of someone who counts their calories & macros and successfully maintains a huge weight loss. They're making money off the same schmucks who will try anything that causes them to lose the same 8 lb over & over, and don't care that it "happened in 10 days" and came back in the next 10 days. I know so many people who fall for every single product, diet, and plan.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm sure it's got an article about a 98 year old woman giving birth to triplet alien babies, too. 😬

That sounds like something that would be in The Examiner. I mostly notice older people buy those trashy rag mags when I'm ringing out customers.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    And another case in point:

074a99rhpzwr.jpg

I mean, celery has some nice phytochemicals, but . . . really? And a whole book?

Maybe it's a scratch and sniff book? Can't get enough of inhaling that wonderful essence of celery ...
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I <3 this thread :)

So just to add to the fun, I snapped this while I was waiting in line at Safeway a while ago. Notice that in the upper right hand corner, in the middle of all the scammy weight loss hoopla is an article that promises to help you save money by avoiding scams...

ulygn4v7nkap.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I could drop 16 pounds in 5 days.

It would just be unhealthy, uncomfortable, fleeting and quite possibly illegal.

... but entirely doable.

Me too! I can lose 16 lbs. in half an hour... can I borrow someone's sawzall? Goodbye forever, lower half of my right leg!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I find it amusing comparing mags from the same publisher but aimed at men vs. women (such as Men's Health and Women's Health).

In the taglines, men usually get "ripped", women "toned". Men get "rock hard abs", women "a flat belly". And so forth.

There was even a set of special issues (photo below) put out by that publisher, one for men and one for women, that were aimed at bodyweight fitness. Inside, based on a flip-through, there were pretty much exactly the same exercises. They just were photographed with models of the appropriate sex. Taglines on the cover slanted very diffently, though. :lol:

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

These are so archaic. Completely failing to recognize the other 67 genders.

Makes me think of this. NB: These magazines are produced by separate publishers. It's not one publisher making two different magazines.
    etkmxjq8venc.jpg

That's just sad.
  • Motorsheen
    I find it amusing comparing mags from the same publisher but aimed at men vs. women (such as Men's Health and Women's Health).

In the taglines, men usually get "ripped", women "toned". Men get "rock hard abs", women "a flat belly". And so forth.

There was even a set of special issues (photo below) put out by that publisher, one for men and one for women, that were aimed at bodyweight fitness. Inside, based on a flip-through, there were pretty much exactly the same exercises. They just were photographed with models of the appropriate sex. Taglines on the cover slanted very diffently, though. :lol:

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

Makes me think of this. NB: These magazines are produced by separate publishers. It's not one publisher making two different magazines.
    etkmxjq8venc.jpg

why not both ??
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

Men have to do just 25 exercises but women need 128? *kitten*.
  • Motorsheen
    tj1376 wrote: »

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

Men have to do just 25 exercises but women need 128? *kitten*.

Yes, it's true.

I'm on exercise 23 right now..... so you better get started. B)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

etkmxjq8venc.jpg

Ugh, gross. This makes me so mad! Also, side note, waking up pretty is not a thing. Even Mila Kunis doesn't wake up pretty. We're all kind of gross in the morning, and that's OKAY!

I dunno - I think I read somewhere that Kim Kardashian sleeps in her makeup when she's doing a multi-day shoot.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

etkmxjq8venc.jpg

Ugh, gross. This makes me so mad! Also, side note, waking up pretty is not a thing. Even Mila Kunis doesn't wake up pretty. We're all kind of gross in the morning, and that's OKAY!

I dunno - I think I read somewhere that Kim Kardashian sleeps in her makeup when she's doing a multi-day shoot.

I guess that would mean I'd have to consider Kim Kardashian pretty at any point in the day...
    I do not