WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka – I use Windows 10 at work and the transition wasn’t bad. Got a MacBook Air for home a few years ago (wanted something different from my work life and smaller). Of course, the first thing I did was purchase Microsoft Office for it! (the real deal, not the old clone type stuff).

Ginny in Ohio

We've now finally got Office 365 on everything ... home, uni, and work. I get it free from either uni or work, but it's only just recently (last month) that work has come on board with Office 365. Now all my systems talk to each other which is great!

We use Mac computers at uni sometimes and I find them difficult to get used to. I'm getting better at it because we've had them for 3 courses now.

M in Oz

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I do remember that you spent some time with your sister while visiting Athena that and the lifetime supply of empty tequila bottles. So very sad. Barbie said exactly what I wanted to say.
    Sasha at the yard sale struck my funny bone! lol
    Happy Birthday Kayla, loved the "cake", that's the best kind, no calories!!
    I'm going to try to post the photo of the blanket, wish me luck!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Sasha Such an adorable photo. Sasha is gorgeous.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did a Simply Gym Ball DVD. OK, not fantastic. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Leslie Sansone Walk Away Your Waistline DVD.

After exercise went to the farmer’s market and got more corn, some tomatoes (were they expensive!), what the guy told me was a Burpee Hybrid cantaloupe was just a very ripe Athena (was I very disappointed) and golden beets . I cooked the corn, cut up the cantaloupe and am now cooking the golden beets. I gave some of the corn to one of our new neighbors and half of the cantaloupe since it was so ripe I was afraid it would go bad before we could finish it. Maybe after the pool party I’ll go to another farmer’s market and hopefully get a Burpee Hybrid cantaloupe.

Then we cleaned the filters to the pool. Right now we’re under a heat advisory. From standing out in the sun cleaning the filters, the pool will not be refreshing at all and I’ll just be sweating so I don’t think I’ll go in the pool today. Besides, I have some beets on the stove

Rebecca – what a shopper you are!

Katie – I made brown rice in Denise’s instant pot. It was fantastic! I have one on my Christmas list, I think I’ll get it because Jess keeps saying that I should get one. One thing, tho, I believe you have to make the whole box of rice at one time. But….you can portion it out and put some in the freezer. Yogurt was good, too. Next time I think I’ll use a different milk. I’d like to try hard boiled eggs. Wonder if you can make baked potatoes in it?

Church tonight

Viv – congrats on your win. You won A BIT of money and you’re going to get a new kitchen? I’d call that more than a “bit”

Katla – hope you have a wonderful day for your birthday!

Shcgibs (give us an easier name to go by) – so glad your husband is OK!

Think I’ll go to WalMart tomorrow morning. We need pool salt, baking soda for the pool, ice tea for the pool party and a few other things

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    3265407s40453qubk.gif

:)Katla, Happy Birthday. Congrats to you for speaking up for what you really want for your birthday. I know your family wanted to please you but without help from you, they may not always know what you want.
  • Machka9
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    nhador6gvbyb.jpg
    This is the baby blanket I'm making. I need to add a few more rows and then do a border, I think it will be a shell border, very feminine! Which is doubly funny because none of us are girly girl people! Just watch, our granddaughter will be..... lol!
    Had an enjoyable time at the baby shower, our DIL's sister organized a large group gift of a car seat and diaper backpack, so even though they got a lot of little stuff, they also got the big gift, much more useful than if everyone had gotten little stuff.
    That's it for me! Already had my shower, so now when I start getting sleepy in front of the computer, I can just go to bed instead of moaning about having to have my shower! (It's the little things that keep me going!)
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

Beautiful! :)

My mother did try to encourage me to be a little more girly than I am ... but it didn't really take with me.

I remember when I was about 6 and had come in from playing outside all day, she said to me, "I always thought it would be my little boy who would come in dirty from head to toe!!" But there I was ... and there was my brother as clean as can be because he'd spent most of the day reading. :grin:

I do make a bit of a nod to the girly side once in a while ... for example, I've got quite a collection of costume jewellery. I rarely wear it, but I've made a display of it in the dressing room and like how the sun catches it and makes it glitter. :)

Machka in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Ev - granddaughter's blanket is gorgeous. Mama and baby will treasure it forever. You are very talented <3. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Michele - You can do one cup of brown rice in the IP.

Dr Katie I have a 6 qt. The boiled eggs I put on the trivet. Add one cup of water. Set low pressure for 4 mins and walk away. When I remember I come back and get them out and they peel like a dream. :D That is the advantage of the IP, the peeling. I often do just a couple.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Connie The baby blanket is so pretty. Thanks for posting the photo.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Katla Happy Belated Birthday.. I hope it was special...
    love that picture of Sasha xoxox
    I am up and staggering , after the few treats I ate even though I had 3 zero waters and probably a gallon of water.. i gained 3 lbs from yesterday morning to this morning. Not gonna worry about it though. today I stay inside it was to much yesterday.. didn't have any cocktails yesterday and I wouldn't because of the heat..and it is supposed to be around 100 today too..
    I can see my poor electrical meter whizzing around with the air on :#
    going to go feed my DFIL and then rearrange the stuff in my car.
    I stayed in the shade yesterday so no sunburn but wow..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Connie - That baby blanket is a work of love. What a treasure! <3
    My father crocheted a cot blanket for my eldest son. I passed it on to my first grandson. Now the grandkids play with it. :D My dad was the crafter in our family, potting, crochet, tapestry, life drawing, cake baking. I still have the ceramics he made. I really admire crafts, but I can only do the ones that don't take too much time and patience. I have found I have a small talent for modelling, as in Fymo, or icing sugar. I enjoyed that for a while, but I have now given my equipment away.
    I used to knit garments in my dim and distant past. I also made all my own clothes from the age of thirteen until about 24.
    I love to see intricate embroidery or quilting. I used to love walking round Art shops and I wasn't bad myself with pastels, but I know now that I won't get back to it. I have to concentrate on my writing.
    So, well done on the blanket! :D<3

Edie is arriving at any moment for her special 'one to one' day. Of course there are two of us! I love having just one of them, three wears me out!

Barbie - I think you should frame that photo, it's great!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Evie ~ How talented you are...the baby will have a gift to treasure.

Carol in GA
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Connie, love the baby blanket... just waiting to hear what the gender's going to be for my January-to-be grandchild, and will probably do a baby quilt. My daughter's hoping for a boychild, as her four-year-old daughter has been a handful pretty much since she learned to vocalize. :)

Machka, I'm not a girly-girl either. Literally, the only dress I own is my wedding dress. I also keep my hair quite short, so people make assumptions about my gender and/or sexuality. I think it's funny that they have some perceived need to KNOW. I just refuse to humor their prejudices. :) Humans are weird.

Rori, had to look up sundowners. I've no experience in what you're going through, so no advice, just much love and support headed your way.

Here in the wilds of Arkansas, I had an absolutely useless day yesterday, I accomplished nothing. Got two books of the four-book "Patternist" series by Octavia Butler read. It was absolutely, utterly glorious. But, today, I've got until my husband's plane lands this evening to accomplish quite a few things around the house. Easy-sneezy. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday ... My husband and I rode Zwift! He did about 33 min and I finally conquered London's Box Hill.

Walk ...... Treadmill Walk .......... 22:00 ............. 2.00 km .......... 21 m

Ride ...... Zwift: London .......... 1:00:08 .......... 18.39 km ........ 226 m

Plus Rowing 10 min, but for some reason that didn't record.

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - I love the baby blanket! Very pretty.

Barbie - I absolutely adore the picture of Sasha. I still just want to sit not he floor and hug her!

Lisa - In my world, reading two books is accomplishing something! I say that sounds like a great day with time well spent.

Girly girl - I love that we all have such different definitions of what some things mean. I don't consider myself a girly girl at all. I do wear dresses, a lot, like almost all the time in the warmer weather. However, I don't wear much pink, probably because I like fully saturated colors like red or black. I don't wear ruffles or bows. I do wear jewelry, LOVE jewelry. My Dad started buying me rings after he and my Mom split up and I still love jewelry. I do wear makeup, but normally just some powder with SPF, lip gloss (cause my lips are dry) and eyebrows (mine fell out somewhere along the line about age 25, never was a plucker, they just thinned to the point of being almost gone). If I'm going somewhere other than running to the Post Office (for work), I might put on blush and some eyeshadow.

Gonna get my day started. Have a great Sunday Ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Okie - that's funny, because I realized after I'd already posted it that I do tend to wear a bit more makeup when I'm in short-hair mode. Most of the times I get called "sir" are when people see me from the back. :smiley: Re: makeup, I wear eyeliner, mascara and touch up my eyebrows with some mascara, as mine are thinning as well. Never worn any form of powder or foundation, as I can "feel" it on my face. Just simply never got used to it. Trying to get in the habit of putting on moisturizer with SPF, but like all good habits, it's just hard to get it started for some reason.

So, as I joke to friends, I'm just keeping a bucket nearby for when my face slides right off my head, and that slow-motion avalanche is already in motion. I took the pic below to send to my best friend - she lives in Montana, but we ended up getting our hair dyed on the same day, so swapped selfies. :smiley:

pspsjatfw79x.jpg

OK, got the bathroom mopped out in between posts, time to go get a few other things done. I'm such a weinie--I dropped all the clean clothes on my bed last night in my husband's usual spot, and just left them there last night so the bed didn't seem so huge and empty. I missed him--I'm used to sleeping alone in hotel beds (usually sideways for some odd reason), but didn't like sleeping in our own bed alone.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2019
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    klanders30 wrote: »
    katiebug love my 3-Qt IP. I use it quite often, oatmeal, rice, yogurt, broth, apple sauce, steaming veg and making hard boiled eggs to just list a few.

NYKAREN

Does the IP really make hard boiled eggs better than the stove top? I might try it in this 3-qt but no way would I fool with the big heavy one just for hard boiled eggs. I usually cover mine with water in a regular sauce pan, sprinkle a little salt in the water, put the lid on and bring to a boil. When the water boils, I screw the vent down on the pot lid, turn the burner off and wait 20 minutes. I’m not convinced there’s an easier way.

But then that corn on the cob was way better than steaming it in that same pan I cook eggs in. It was even better than some new way I tried a week or so back where I boiled it with a stick of butter and cup of milk in the water. That was good, but this was better, and it didn’t even need butter.

I am looking forward to trying some new recipes, so I may give the eggs a try.

K

This is how I hard cook eggs too. I did learn older eggs are better because they are easier to peal. I found this true with the last batch I made.

_______

Margaret Yes! I learned this, too. I was a bit frustrated once when a batch of eggs didn't peel as well as usual after my foolproof 4-4-4 IP method. They were very fresh farm eggs. Didn't peel well, even after being steamed in the IP. Older eggs peel more easily for sure.

_______

The overnight with my granddaughter is going so well. She is still asleep.

Yesterday we gave the dogs the spa treatment, made amazing cookies for her to take home ("from scratch, please, Grammy"), and went to a sushi restaurant. She has an adventurous palate, loves Nigiri & Sashimi! Then we watched "Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta" and giggled for awhile.

At bedtime, she wanted me to come up & sit in the recliner in the guest room while she got ready for bed. Before I knew it, she was shooing me out because I was snoring and she couldn't get to sleep, LOL!

This morning after breakfast, we will re-pot a plant and paint our toenails. Then she will go home to spend some time with her family & get ready for her year-end swimteam banquet. Love that girl.

My grandson stayed with his Grandpa (my ex) this weekend, which he loves. They do guy things.

________

I can't believe it's been 50 years since Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I turned 15 that week in July in 1969. We watched it on our black & white TV in our living room, like thousands of others.

One small step...

________

Karen in Virginia