WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katie I have 3 qt IP envy. I use 4-4-4 method for steaming eggs in my 6 qt IP. They do peel beautifully, & no green yolks.

Carol Your hair is lovely! Great cut.

Evelyn I hope you post a photo of the blanket you are crocheting.

10 y.o. granddaughter is here, we are taking a break from our agenda...we clipped toenails on all 3 dogs, gave 2 of them baths, and made triple chocolate chunk cookie dough. It's in the refrigerator, so we got a 15 minute break.

Karen in VIrginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla, happy birthday. Have a terrific day. I'm right behind you too, I'll be 70 in November. Today is also my best friend's 70th birthday . <3

Janetr OKC
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Katla, Happy 70th!

70th-birthday-7.gif
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Evelyn, from sunny and warm Vancouver Island, In regards to my middle sister, did I tell you that while down seeing Athena, son and DIL, I saw my sister too! She came and picked me up when I had gone to see my MIL. That was on a Wednesday, and we went to her favorite bar, ( she calls it her favorite livingroon), and she had 2 beers, a shot and I had a coke. That evening we went to a nice family restaurant, (but had to go to the lounge side). We had fun watching a movie though that late evening. The next day Thurs, she slept in until 1:30. I was able to go up and visit my childhood home, and also a neighbor I babysat for. By 2:30 I was so humgry, we finally went out, ( to her bar, because she says the food was great), I had a turkey wrap. That afternoon it was about 6 pm, and we were sitting outside, it was a nice country quiet. She then says she is antsy, so I told her she could go out if he wanted to, but I was going to make an early night. I was kind of testing her, and if course she failed. I stay there two nights and she decided on the second night to go out instead of chatting with me?? It was an eye opening experience, and just solidified her need for alcohol. I hadn't seen her for 3 years and she does this. Classic.

Hmmm, sorry ladies, that visit affected me so. So much to process, but venting is what I am great at. My sister had disc surgery two weeks ago, so I have been keeping tabs on her, texting her. I might text her daughter and see if she's still smoking or going out drinking.

My eldest sister that now lives in Montana chatted with her the other day. I guess for sport my sister and the neighbor ladies shoot gophers. I guess if you don't shoot them, snakes move in. And that's bad news. So my sister's quite the Annie Oakley of the family! We vented about our middle sister. She and her don't speak to each other.

Watched a funny comedian go on about shopping. He said to do what I do. Go in and take someone's cart. I mean its not stealing, what can they do? " Hey that's my cart, I gathered that ". "Well, you can just regather, you know the route"! Hey if you take someone's cart you get to try new things. That's how I learned I like hummus! The comedian was hysterical!!!to
    I don't think I could do that intentionally! I have done it as a accident though. I was like, when did I put this in, oh crap!

Have a good day y'all!
    💖Rebecca

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Katlaaaaa! Happy birthday friend! You are amazing, so insightful, empathetic, and amazing woman!
    🎂🎶🎵🎁💪🙏👍💖💖
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Kayla - Happy Birthday!!

My foot is still a little puffy from gout. Do you think it would be OK to try the recumbent bike?? I’m getting bored!

Connie in KY
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    Too hot! Feeling yucky. Did have a good chat with my baby sis about menopause, symptoms, gaining weight and how to deal! Lol. She was very interested in how I lost all my weight. Haven’t talked to her in a long time so that was nice.

On the other hand, I sent my youngest daughter a pic of the blow up kayak for 2 we bought on Prime day. She was very negative about it. She always is. I thought she would be happy for us as she herself loves kayaking.

RV Rita
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Katla Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    klanders30 wrote: »
    katiebug love my 3-Qt IP. I use it quite often, oatmeal, rice, yogurt, broth, apple sauce, steaming veg and making hard boiled eggs to just list a few.

Stay cool and safe everyone.

NYKAREN

Does the IP really make hard boiled eggs better than the stove top? I might try it in this 3-qt but no way would I fool with the big heavy one just for hard boiled eggs. I usually cover mine with water in a regular sauce pan, sprinkle a little salt in the water, put the lid on and bring to a boil. When the water boils, I screw the vent down on the pot lid, turn the burner off and wait 20 minutes. I’m not convinced there’s an easier way.

But then that corn on the cob was way better than steaming it in that same pan I cook eggs in. It was even better than some new way I tried a week or so back where I boiled it with a stick of butter and cup of milk in the water. That was good, but this was better, and it didn’t even need butter.

I am looking forward to trying some new recipes, so I may give the eggs a try.

K

This is how I hard cook eggs too. I did learn older eggs are better because they are easier to peal. I found this true with the last batch I made.

I was going to go on a garden tour today but it was pouring this morning so I did not go. Much cooler today here. Yesterday was oppressive. 92 and 75% humidity.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Katla, many happy returns <3

Katiebug I set my eggs on a steamer trivet and pressure cook for 7 minutes but you can play around with the time. Easy to peel them vs steam stove top method, but don't know why that is!!

Had a lovely looooong phone call with a retired work friend this morning instead of my usual exercise. Since then it’s been a very lazy day, Rachel is in the city and DH is fighting a stomach bug, he’s hibernating in the air conditioned bedroom. I made a lovely greek orzo salad with feta, olives, cucumbers, and zucchini with lemon/oregano dressing. Super delish but I will stop myself from eating all of it. Just too hot to eat!!

I do tend to eat less when the weather gets this way, just drinking plenty of water.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    As my dear friend Kitty says Mother of Mercy. It was a scorcher.. wedding was nice and Dan's friends sons Birthday was on a reservoir and a beautiful home. But I just got home and I ate quite a few things I shouldn't have but I hydrated super well. And am in bed..woosh
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    shcgiebs wrote: »
    Hello all! Spent the morning in the ER with my hubby. He has had some cramping in his calf and since he had a heart stent a few years ago we weren't taking any chances. Thankfully it was a slight case of dehydration. Small wonder in this heat. Doc said to remember water is not enough. He recommends adding bananas or tomatoes to the meals for the potassium and some Gatorade for electrolytes. Stay cool everyone.

:) My husband has heart problems, too. The cardiologist says his heart is "complicated". We have had many visits to the ER just be safe and are grateful when the diagnosis is something simple like it was for your husband. We are so grateful for good medical care.

<3 Barbie in cool NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    KATLA - IS IT YOUR BDAY??????

HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BDAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)<3Rebecca, I agree with everyone who said you did the right thing setting firm boundaries with your sister. Your home is your castle. You don't need to welcome someone (even your sister) if her behaviour doesn't fit with your standards.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Tracey - your wet weather is something else! We are getting cooler temps and more rainy/drizzly days than usual for July here in the Pacific Northwest as well. Do you get weekends off from your new job?

Lanette
    Beautiful SW WA State

Yes it is a Monday to Friday job 0800-1615.

Tracey
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Katla - happy Birthday
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Katla!!! Have a super day! <3B)<3:D

m0u3r6hwn4j4.jpg

(I wanted to post this for Karen's bday earlier this week but MFP didn't cooperate B) )

Lanette :D

:D:D:D

Happy Birthday, Katla!!!

Happy Birthday!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    Kayla - Happy Birthday!!

My foot is still a little puffy from gout. Do you think it would be OK to try the recumbent bike?? I’m getting bored!

Connie in KY

Give it a try and see how you feel. :)