WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    well I must admit even though it is hotter than the shades of Hades outside I have been running around like a crazy woman.. was up and out before 6 and to Walmart to pick up veggies to cut up for veggie platter and made deviled eggs yesterday.. gonna hop in the shower and then off I go.. im gonna have to get some more sunscreen ,I have some .. but will stop at Family dollar and pick some up.. for me and my fair skinned child.. will be nice to spend some time with him and friends and family even though its gonna be HOT.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Decided for brunch to have
    Tea ☕️ (Added creamer to it yesterday told myself not happening today gotta be good!)
    Water
    Broccoli 🥦 1/2-1cup
    Sushi 🍣 5pieces 160calories Banzi frozen food brand shrimp avocado 🥑 (also bought the spicy crab 🦀 roll for another day)

So low calories for brunch then big Mexican meal for dinner. Tortilla chips warmed in airfryer with meat burrito 🌯 y avocado 🥑. If any calories left after then banana 🍌 y healthy stuff for Late meal/snack.

Switched JR from regular Cheetos to Baked Cheetos so finally those are out of the house! Healthier family meals to options only here we come!

Amber Tx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I love the pie plate idea. I made both of my girls recipe books last year for their birthdays. I had some special ladies in their life contribute recipes and I put a picture of each of the ladies net the recipe. My eldest daughter’s has a picture of her and her Great Grandmother making doughnuts, A page from a diary where she noted she made doughnuts and of course the recipe itself. They both loved them and I enjoyed it so much I’m doing one for myself one day.

I have to say I am a bit envious of all of you complaining about the heat. Out of curiosity yesterday I looked up the rainfall amounts we’ve had. It was a shocker.pptch2916glt.png

Our furnace has kicked on at least once a week since last September.

Tracey In Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    It's Saturday!!

So glad MFP seems to be back on track.

Machka - thank you for sharing your photos and for finding Barbara AHMOD. Even though she's not back on here yet, it's good to know she's trying. We have Windows 7 on all of our PC's, but I refuse to upgrade to 10. Used it a bit at work and now at the MG Plant Clinics and to me, it's not user friendly at all.

I ordered a 10" Fire tablet during the Prime sale, which will cover my birthday and Christmas gifts. B) Android seems to be a fairly stable OS - I can access a lot of things on my 7" Fire tablet that just get bogged down on this PC. So, PC will be relegated to banking, Word and Excel stuff. New tablet should be here Tuesday.

Windows 10 isn't bad. :) I've been working with it for a while now (since 2016) and it feels really comfortable but it did take me a couple months to sort things out.

They finally put Windows 10 on my computer at work, and what a relief! I'm so used to Windows 10 now at home and uni that using Windows 7 at work was always a little frustrating.

Meg
    - do all of those shoes still fit? :p Do you have a "shoe closet?" I still have a few pairs left that I'm sure I'll never wear now that I'm stuck with orthotics. I totally understand why older gals wear running shoes all the time and to every event. Here I thought they were trying to relive their childhood.... nope, their poor feet hurt. :'( And those running shoes are the only comfy shoes they own.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Yes, I'm having the same problems with my feet and my orthotics.

I've been told to wear the orthotics and do my exercises for about a month, then my podiatrist will tell me about the shoes I can now buy. She did reassure me that since she's a girl and likes "girly" things, there are options other than the sturdy sensible shoes.

Meanwhile, I've got the orthotics in my hiking shoes and will move them over to certain pairs of boots that are big enough for them.

My feet always hurt these days. Hopefully that will improve.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Machka
    - If I HAD to use Windows 10 I would, and would make myself learn it B) I know I felt animosity toward Windows 7 when I HAD to learn that, lol. My DH was working in IT at that time and knew everything about it. W10 has come on board since he retired so he's not up on it much.

Please, let me know what you find for "girly" shoes that accommodate your orthotics! I wore my Hoka's on my walk this morning, first time. I'm not sure about them...ligaments/tendons around knees ache. They don't seem as cushiony as my old New Balance, but I'll keep trying them. I'm now back in the old New Balance and will stop at their outlet store when I'm in town next week. Sigh.

I found some Easy Spirit slides on sale, should have bought a size larger. I've jumped up a whole size now to 9 1/2 :#

Lanette
    Sunny and cool (but will hit the mid-80's this afternoon) SW WA State

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Happy 70th Katla!

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Katla - A VERY, VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! <3<3<3:flowerforyou:

I'm sorry you can't see your family today. Are you doing anything else to make the day special?
    Yesterday my DDIL said she wants to do a little tea party before my 70th with the kids. That's all I wanted, a cake and candles to blow out, as we are going on the cruise to celebrate for the actual birthday. Then she said she had invited my elder son for that weekend! I don't think she meant to her house. I would be pleased to see him, but don't really want the hassle of him staying just before we go on our cruise! I am always a neurotic mess before a holiday as I get packing anxiety, plus worried about it being a different ship etc etc. Oh well. I will have to keep his stay simple. I arranged the cruise because I did not want any hassle or having to organise anything. Ideally I would have done a trip of a lifetime to somewhere special, but I always have to do all the arranging and booking, so I thought I would let our usual cruise company take the strain and just turn up. On top of that I just envisaged seeing the grandchildren. I'm determined not to be doing any work myself. >:)
    It's sweet of her to think of me, of course. She also asked me to send suggestions for presents, so I've sent her a link to my favourite perfume.

I've also been following up the incident I had with the allergic reaction to the cheese rind. I've heard nothing more from the supermarket. I emailed them and have had a message back so I've emailed them back again. I hope I can get some sense out of them. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Katla - I hope you can do something today that pleases and relaxes you. What a shame that Arrow is out of action.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Katla!!! Have a super day! <3B)<3:D

m0u3r6hwn4j4.jpg

(I wanted to post this for Karen's bday earlier this week but MFP didn't cooperate B) )

Lanette :D

:D:D:D

Happy Birthday, Katla!!!

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    katiebug love my 3-Qt IP. I use it quite often, oatmeal, rice, yogurt, broth, apple sauce, steaming veg and making hard boiled eggs to just list a few.

Stay cool and safe everyone.

NYKAREN

Does the IP really make hard boiled eggs better than the stove top? I might try it in this 3-qt but no way would I fool with the big heavy one just for hard boiled eggs. I usually cover mine with water in a regular sauce pan, sprinkle a little salt in the water, put the lid on and bring to a boil. When the water boils, I screw the vent down on the pot lid, turn the burner off and wait 20 minutes. I’m not convinced there’s an easier way.

But then that corn on the cob was way better than steaming it in that same pan I cook eggs in. It was even better than some new way I tried a week or so back where I boiled it with a stick of butter and cup of milk in the water. That was good, but this was better, and it didn’t even need butter.

I am looking forward to trying some new recipes, so I may give the eggs a try.

K

• 1948Peachy
    Options
    Kay ~ Place the eggs on the cooking rack and add 1-1/2 or 2 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes and allow the steam to escape naturally. Peel under cool water. They are so easy to peel. I cook them in my 3 quart and in my larger one.

How did you cook the corn?

Carol
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Thank you for the cake. I’ll be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy. :bigsmile:

Carol in GA & Heather: Thanks for your good wishes. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Thanks for your good wishes. I asked my daughter for photos of the kids and the farm for my birthday gift. So far she’s sent several endearing photos. I hope for more. DH is making me a birthday cake. :bigsmile: Arrow is not exactly out of action, but he is grumpy and stall bound. His feet are okay following a visit from the farrier. His owner asked me to go out and work with him. I am intensely flattered that she would put so much faith in me, but a bit worried about the task. I’m willing to work with him, but I want to have others around in case he gets out of hand. I think I’ll time my visits to be there when the stall workers are there cleaning horse stalls and feeding horses. :heart:

Lanette: Thank you for the lovely inferno cake. This is the big 7O and an inferno is appropriate. I’ll be sure we have a fire extinguisher standing by. :wink:

Dr Katie: I steam my hardcooked eggs in a pot with a steamer basket. They always come out well. If they’re fresh enough the yolks are yellow all the way to the surface. It varies with the eggs. :star:

Following my comments to Heather, I would welcome advice from anyone with horsey skills. Arrow can be cooperative or a pill, depending on his mood. He’s been stall bound long enough to get grumpy. I may go tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    1fl2a64mw1b8.jpeg
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Katla ~ Good luck with Arrow.

I got my hair cut today! This is the style but the color is really light brown.

Carol in Ga
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Katla - LOL. <3 I'm not far behind you, I'll make sure our fire extinguisher is ready to go! <3 We might have to get a larger one! :D

Lanette
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Katla, Happy Birthday! Hope you can get some good work in with Arrow and that he's not too grumpy for you. You'd think that if he's grumpy from being stall bound that he would be happy for someone to let him out and "play" with him! Just no figuring out the male of any species, I guess, lol!
    Rebecca, good for you for laying it on the line with your sister. While I know you dearly love her and would love to see her, she needs to have respect for you and your home and not do stuff that would upset your balance. My sincerest hope that she sees "the light" and can get her stuff together.
    All those who have contributed stories about GBS, thank you, I've learned so much about it from you. I have to admit, I used to think it was taking the easy way out, now I see there is nothing easy about it, so thank you for opening my eyes!
    Michele, thank you for sharing the photos of your ceramics, they are so cute!
    The micromosaics (sp?) are amazing! So much patience and talent at work there!
    There are definitely more posts that I wanted to comment on, but, once again - sadly, the memory fails! Just know that I do read your posts!
    Our granddaughter's baby shower is today, I am crocheting a blanket for her, it's not quite finished yet. I was going to take it, and then tell our DIL that she had to give it back for a week or so (yes, I'm that close!), but then decided to just take a photo, print it off and include that with the other few things that I have for her. I've written on the photo "Dear Rosie, Gramma owes you this blanket!" I'm sure that will get a chuckle from a lot of folks and they will still be able to see it.
    Anyway, hope everyone has a great day! Hugs for those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, from sunny and warm Vancouver Island
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Katla ~ Good luck with Arrow.

I got my hair cut today! This is the style but the color is really light brown.

Carol in Ga

Carol
    - super cute hair cut!!! Do you go to the same gal you've been going to?

Tracey - your wet weather is something else! We are getting cooler temps and more rainy/drizzly days than usual for July here in the Pacific Northwest as well. Do you get weekends off from your new job?

Lanette
    Beautiful SW WA State
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Eggs 🥚- I have a electric steamer y tiny electric egg steamer . They come out perfectly! One is copper chef egg cooker The other Hamilton Beach Steamer -which I also steam corn 🌽,fish,y chicken in
    Amber Tx