WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Nice ideas Machka. :) The trouble is I don't feel like cooking. Most unlike me. Plus I do not want to go shopping. :s
    I have managed to get out of the freezer two of the spinach and ricotta puff pastry rolls I was keeping for the nanny. Might as well eat them ourselves. ;) I've only got to heat them up. Then I found two chorizo sausages in the bottom of the freezer, so we'll also have them and a butter bean salad. I've got some nice tomatoes to chop into it.

I am tired. Not a lot of sleep. Reading late, storms in the night and early waking.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Irish Teri ~ Congrats on your 53rd Anniversary and thanks for all the photos of the beautiful countryside you are visiting.

Rita ~ Congrats on your wonderful health news and weight loss.

Kay ~ Did you participate in the Dairy Queen ice cream day in Jefferson?

Bears ~ There was a bear swimming in a neighborhood lake near me. The houses surrounding the lake were very posh and I think the homeowners were a bit scared for their safety. There have been a lot of bears in the Atlanta area this year. They come down from the North Ga Mountains.

Heat: It’s been very nice here for the last few days. No humidity to make things feel hot and sticky. It will go back to normal this weekend. Connie ~ we lived on base at Ft Knox in 1970 and the house had one of those fans that was supposed to draw out/in cool air. It was very dated housing. Growing up, we also had no AC and it was sweltering in my bedroom because the windows had been painted shut. Poor insulation and no central heat (there was a floor furnace in the hall to accommodate a 9 room house). Finally got window air conditioning in a few of the rooms. When my brother took over the house, he had better insulation put in and central air and heat. The house is my age...71 in August.

I was blown away this morning by a news clip on Good Morning America that indicated a T-Rex skull had been found in Montana. ”...The researchers believe Tufts-Love is about 66.3 million years old, living just before the mass extinction event at the end of Cretaceous period that pushed dinosaurs into a steep decline.” The skull was 4 feet long. It is now in the Burkes Museum in Washington. On further reading, I realized that there were quite a few dinosaurs on exhibit in various museums.

Carol in GA

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Got my lunch y Dinner figures out lots of calories left over for a nice treat later. Lol Hubby snapped a pic of JR 😏 smirking at him cause he got Mommy to do what he wanted.
    nybw4635x6s1.jpeg
    pa1m0ztoo5xm.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    M you are right having double pane windows does make a difference. Neighbor behind us was chain sawing their tree. The one were we finally last year had a tree trimmer take a branch off the wire. Shutting all the windows made a difference.

I had the strangest encounter yesterday. Our local Y has numerous road construction going on around it. Because of this there is only one way in and out. The turn is onto a very busy road. As I was getting ready to turn there was a pedestrian at the corner. I stopped to let her cross. It is the law here to yield to pedestrians. She was on her cell phone. To her credit she did put the phone down when she got to the corner. She did not immediately cross the road. I rolled down my window to tell her she is the pedestrian and she had the right of way. Someone else turned into her path from the busy road. All I said was be careful. They she proceeded to swear and cuss at me called me the B word and used the F word telling me she knew how to cross a road. I know drivers could have road rage but a pedestrian that you are trying to acknowledge and give the right of way. Disturbing. We have had a number of pedestrians killed here. She did finally safely cross the road. I safely made my turn too, but her actions made it more difficult.

This happened on the way to my eye exam. Good news everything great. No eye issues.

I do not know what driving is like where you live but here we have a lot of road construction and distracted drivers. As of August 1 we will become a hands free state. You can tell I am in favor of this new law.

I must see at least one accident a week here when I am out driving. Most of them are fender benders. My car is two and a half years old with 17,000 miles so I do not drive much nor do I care to.

:heart:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    M you are right having double pane windows does make a difference. Neighbor behind us was chain sawing their tree. The one were we finally last year had a tree trimmer take a branch off the wire. Shutting all the windows made a difference.

We've got a couple nearby dogs that have astounding stamina with their barking. All day long!! If we had decent insulation in the walls and double glazing, I'm sure we'd hardly hear it.

I do not drive much nor do I care to.

:heart:

Me neither! I go weeks without driving which suits me just fine. :)

Machka in Oz
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday. Up early to make a Texas sheet cake for my friend who lost her husband yesterday. Playing golf later. That will be a welcome change from pulling weeds. Lol
    SueBDew in T
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: So happy to hear that you and your orthotics are a good team. I hope they’ll keep your feet happy for a long time. :smiley: I think the lightweight plastic bags should be banned, but so far that hasn’t happened here. :ohwell:

Mary: I don’t know about everyone, but we have an airconditioned house, rv and both cars. Our boats are not airconditioned. :wink:

Rita: You are transforming yourself and even your doctor notices. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Beth: I am delighted that your “boot” has helped move things in a better direction. Pip is an excellent role model. :star:

Heather: Enjoy your reunion! :flowerforyou:

Ginny in OH: Congrats on your good food choices at the County Fair. WTG!!! You’re doing great with exercise, too. :smiley:

Karen in VA: I have lived in Western Oregon all of my life. In the 1950’s & 60’s, I lived in Salem, Oregon, the state capital. :flowerforyou: Now I live in Halloweentown, AKA St. Helens, next to the Columbia River. :bigsmile:

Rebecca: Cute kitty. Is she yours? :huh:

Barbara: I am delighted that you are happy where you live. It is a blessing that I share. :bigsmile:

Machka: Building a house to Canadian Standards is an excellent idea. I hope it is one that you are eventually able to do. Do you ever consider moving back to Canada? :huh:

Heather: “My brain is on strike.” Can I borrow this????? I hope you are able to get some rest and feel better. :star:

Margaret: What is a “hands free” state? Does this include phones and turning around while driving to give a kid in a car seat a toy, food, or a lecture? :huh: It sounds like a good idea.

I plan to go to yoga this morning and to visit Arrow later today or tomorrow. I need to call his owner and let her know what has been going on that has kept me from being there sooner.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Katla Halloweentown - gonna have to look that up to see why it's called that...

K in VA

p.s. edited to add
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ Hands Free means you may not use your phone while driving unless it is connected to a blue tooth device or positioned away from your person. Last week, there were policemen dressed as construction workers trying to catch folks using their phones while driving.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    asigvepnqf2g.jpeg
    Margaret- be careful yelling at a Road Rager ! Here in San Antonio we’ve had a few good people get shot or attacked by these Nut 🥜 jobs! Of course Daughter y me saw one Run over a man she got out of her van (her kids watching) yelled at the man under her van!!!!) officer 👮 told him he was at fault for wearing black clothes y public drunkenness on a cloudy day (luckily he was drunker than a skunk didn’t get hurt) .Then he got onto the Woman for not rendering aid ,noise ordinance for her yelling,y issued a cheaply payable ticket he went easy on her. She had to pay for any damage to her vehicle y the man herself of course!
    Hands free device most cell phones now even tracphones have a button to push to make a call on SPEAKER 🔈. Or you can buy a hands free device ...Bluetooth, speaker attachment,car hook up for a navigation device in a car,etc just as long as the cell is not in your hands! For certain phones you need a device for that model like IPhones cause their picky!

Found an ant 🐜 colony show for kids y adults who love such things .JRs watching away it’s educational for the Grandkids this summer on YouTube.AntsCanada its called. JR is inthralled by it!

Amber Tx

Oh yes today Soring Cleaning JRs closet- Anything I can give him by Christmas 🎄 will be stored in a gift bag on Daughters bed she has trained him Not to enter her room (lol she did this to give me a hiding spot when cleaning or extra dining chairs storage). Vacuum his floor in y out of closet .Rearrange it all .If I can find a microscope in there view the Medical college slides I bought of liver to lung biopsies.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    vl537l05xl0g.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    I hate being in a car. I haven't driven since I've lived in Hove. I'm also a very nervous passenger. There are many idiots on the road, as there are in life.
    Having said that, the US has more than double the death rates than the UK. It has the worst rate of any developed country. From my quick research the West and South seems to be the worst. Seat belt use is erratic and kids get killed.
    Cell phone use is a problem in both our countries, as is 'young drivers'. Awful things happen. For me a car is a loaded gun and I don't feel safe in one. :s

I fell asleep this afternoon and slept for an hour and a half. Wonderful! I do feel better but that means I won't sleep tonight! ! !

Houses in the UK are normally good stock and built of brick and tile. They are gradually getting better insulated and updated. New regulations mean new houses have to pass strict criteria for insulation and energy consumption. There are some apartments and houses that were built in the last century that are poor, but most people have double glazing and loft insulation. You can't get a mortgage on 'non standard construction'. Updating our Victorian housing stock is popular as people like the character. The quality varies enormously around the country. The sadness is that some old people are living in poorly insulated houses and can't afford decent heating.
    Our house has proved to be ok in hot weather, probably because our south side is shaded by next door. It's the evenings that are the problem, but we have curtains and blinds. I love my fan. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Amber I did not yell at her. She cursed and yelled at me for just telling her in a normal voice she had the right of way as a pedestrian. I had a lot of traffic I had to be paying attention to and she was a distraction. I wanted her to cross so I could focus on the traffic and make my turn. To get that kind of reaction for trying to do the right thing is what I find disturbing.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: Your kitchen is sparkling clean and I love the color choices, but it seems very different not to have upper cupboards. I haven’t seen a kitchen like it before. :star:

Margaret: What changes when a state becomes a hands-free state? My crazy brain envisions thousands of kids riding their bikes hands free in the streets, and I know that is silly. Do drivers have to keep their hands free of coffee cups, cigarettes, and the like? :huh:

Karen in VA: A Disney Movie, Halloween Town, was filmed here. People have been having fun with it ever since. :smiley:

Peachy: Thanks for clarifying the hands-free law. I think it is very likely to save many lives. :star: As an experiment I just told Siri on my phone to call home. It did, hands free once I set it up to do that. Now I can use it without touching it if I need to make a call while driving. That would be extremely rare in our family. If we’re together, which is frequent, the non-driver makes the calls. :star:

Heading off to get a birthday present sent to our son.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Margaret- I live in Bexar County #1 Ranked in Road Rage Accidents.Just glad your safe those people scare me they don’t even need a reason to go off. Had one get out of their car mad at a red light because I wouldn’t run a red light pull into busiest area of oncoming traffic! He pulled my door open so I jumped out he saw my pregnant belly backed down luckily.Then he attacked an officer up the road who was on their way to work for turning their turn signal on. A bunch of cop cars wrestled him to the ground. We got some bad road ragers here! I won’t buy a car without airbags for both front passengers y side air bags.
    Katla - It’s just for cell phones 📱. Folks still read newspapers to eat while driving screaming at their kids . They just have to put their cell phones on speaker (So wrecks with speaker on are people who can’t multitask while talking which should be a clue they need to turn it off or pull over to answer. Hands free state is just for cell phones.Different states it pertains to certain ages even.My state luckily is all ages it’s $400 fine.Your supposed to be off it completely in school zones in Texas.

Amber Tx.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara The poop bags we like are called "Poops Away" and come from a company called Leisure More.

Here is the link
    http:/https://poops-away.com/store/bags/poops-away-value-bags-case//

When you get to the page, click on "bags"
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: So happy to hear that you and your orthotics are a good team. I hope they’ll keep your feet happy for a long time. :smiley: I think the lightweight plastic bags should be banned, but so far that hasn’t happened here. :ohwell:

Mary: I don’t know about everyone, but we have an airconditioned house, rv and both cars. Our boats are not airconditioned. :wink:

Rita: You are transforming yourself and even your doctor notices. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Beth: I am delighted that your “boot” has helped move things in a better direction. Pip is an excellent role model. :star:

Heather: Enjoy your reunion! :flowerforyou:

Ginny in OH: Congrats on your good food choices at the County Fair. WTG!!! You’re doing great with exercise, too. :smiley:

Karen in VA: I have lived in Western Oregon all of my life. In the 1950’s & 60’s, I lived in Salem, Oregon, the state capital. :flowerforyou: Now I live in Halloweentown, AKA St. Helens, next to the Columbia River. :bigsmile:

Rebecca: Cute kitty. Is she yours? :huh:

Barbara: I am delighted that you are happy where you live. It is a blessing that I share. :bigsmile:

Machka: Building a house to Canadian Standards is an excellent idea. I hope it is one that you are eventually able to do. Do you ever consider moving back to Canada? :huh:

Heather: “My brain is on strike.” Can I borrow this????? I hope you are able to get some rest and feel better. :star:

Margaret: What is a “hands free” state? Does this include phones and turning around while driving to give a kid in a car seat a toy, food, or a lecture? :huh: It sounds like a good idea.

I plan to go to yoga this morning and to visit Arrow later today or tomorrow. I need to call his owner and let her know what has been going on that has kept me from being there sooner.

lol, role model in giving the boot? Or exercising
  • pipcd34
    Options
    rkllhfiskzze.jpeg