In your 60’s

kropos1957
kropos1957 Posts: 1 Member
Starting over and looking for accountability buddies? Me too let’s get this ✅ done

Replies

• Nayghtymuffin
    Nayghtymuffin Posts: 40 Member
    Good afternoon ladies I hope your all having a good day.
    Those that have counted calories before, do you find you become more disciplined and more aware of what your eating.
    It’s so easy on Slimming World to eat so much, and I never lose the weight and keep it of?
    Diane
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Good afternoon ladies I hope your all having a good day.
    Those that have counted calories before, do you find you become more disciplined and more aware of what your eating.
    It’s so easy on Slimming World to eat so much, and I never lose the weight and keep it of?
    Diane

It took me less than 2 weeks before cravings were gone and my body understood that this was its new way of eating. I'm satisfied with the calories alloted and eat the foods I love.
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Thanks Lynda,
    Can’t believe the amount of calories in some of the foods I’ve been eating.
    Opens your eyes 👀 when you start reading the labels 😱😱
    Do you weigh everything?
    Diane
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I use a food scale for the majority of my foods. I use measuring cups for things like rice.

At first, the calorie counts freaked me out. A definite eye opener and slap on the face. 😀
  • Nayghtymuffin
    I’ve already started to realise that.
    Healthy coleslaw, have you seen how many calories, 😱😱 that’s one item of my shopping list.
    Will make my own or go without.

Enjoy your evening.
  • ohbeautifulqueen
    ohbeautifulqueen Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Diane,
    I log everything two ways every day. I hand write everything including food, time, stress, events, daily weight, sleep, and blood sugars (Type II) in a spiral bound book small enough I can carry it around in real time. Sounds like alot, but I have my shorthand (the circled number is always my weight, etc.) I also log weight, everything everything I eat, and water on MFP daily, often in real time.

I do weigh daily. I need to see it daily to help with motivation. It's just the way I am, wish I could wait a week...

I bought a scale but am remodeling my kitchen which means chaos! Once the kitchen is put back, I'll start weighing on the scale. Should be a few more weeks. Currently I am going by package guidelines which is not accurate, but okay for now.

Because there is very little cooking going on right now, I am living on grilled meat and fish, Atkins shakes, frozen veggies, 2-good yogurt, eggs. Can't help it, gotta have it, Kroger low sodium ready to eat bacon. I am having a McD Bacon Grilled Chicken Ranch salad several times a week. All told, my protein is almost there, carbs in check, fat a little low, calories a little low. My splurge is Endangered Species 88% Chocolate, 2 squares.

Tweeking it as I go. :)

How about others? What are you doing?
  • ohbeautifulqueen
    ohbeautifulqueen Posts: 8 Member
    I forgot to ask about your OA...

Do you drink soft drinks? My inflammation decreased when I quit soda.
    Is the pain less when you don't eat refined sugars and processed foods?

5000 steps is impressive! How do you get in so many steps with OA? I have trouble with pain when I walk so much.
  • Nayghtymuffin
    I used to be really bad and drink 4-5 cans of Diet Coke every day for years, I now only drink about 1 a week, replaced the coke for water.
    Feel much better for that, sleep better, less palpitations, didn’t realise how bad I was feeling.
    I take Turmeric, Busy B, Apple cider, and Nortriptyline 20mgs every night, plus regular analgesic for my OA
    I still suffer a lot of pain in knees, back and hips and hands, but I’m now retired from Nursing so on bad days I rest, on good days I do what I can.
    I manage the 5000 steps just by going for short weeks around the block throughout the day.
    My diet is very poor at times and I eat far to much
    sugar, that’s when the OA really plays up.
    When I’m on track and really concentrate on eating healthy, the inflammation is not so bad.
    I am going to need a hip replacement, but I do so want to lose the 3 stone first.

I am going to start weighing daily from Monday like you do, I’m hoping that will keep me on track.
    I’ve already got my scales out ready for Monday.
    To be very true full, I’m looking forward to getting back on track.
    Thank you for you good ideas and suggestions.

I hope you all have a good day tomorrow, and have a great weight loss next week.
    Diane
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Morning ladies
    Weighed in this morning for Day 1 of calorie counting.
    Planned on what I’m going to eat, I love my fruit but I’m going to have to go a little careful, I can eat a tub of grapes 🍇 rather than a handful.
    I hope your all well and having a good day.
    Diane x
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for replying and discussing your weight and OA
    I do realise that reducing my weight will help my joints and all my pain.
    I can do this I know I can, I want to be able to go for a walk without worrying that half way round, my back, knees and hips won’t cease up and I then struggle so much getting home.
    I know swimming would help my OA but I’m not putting on a swimsuit at the moment.
    I can not blame my weight gain on anybody else apart from me.
    So at nearly 60 I have to take control of my life and health.
    I know as you mentioned there are going to be bad days, I'm not perfect, but as long as I don’t let the bad days develop into bad weeks and then bad months.
    My first day over, made the right choices and kept within my limits, let’s have another good one tomorrow.

Have a great week, stay strong but let’s be proud of ourselves for trying.

Diane x
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Hello.
    I turned 60 last week. Been here for 28 days and lost 5 kilos, 30 to go. I’m tracking calories. I eat fairly well, need to watch portion control and snacking. I am active, walking swimming and gardening, but I need to do a bit of strength training I think.
    I know the smoking vs obesity puzzle. I finally stopped smoking last November. It had long since ceased to be a pleasure, but did gain a kilo a monthafterwards. I feel fairly secure now about my nonsmoking identity, and ready to deal with the weight. But it does feel like I have a very long way to go. 35 kilos is about 77 pounds.
    I am not sure if I will ever find this thread/group again, not good at navigating website, but please feel free to add me.
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Hi Sandra,
    I have tried adding you as a friend, not sure 🤔 if I’ve done it right.
    Diane x