In your 60’s

Replies

• You went right back to following your diet the next day though and that's what counts, so good for you!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    @Evamutt So sorry your dog is ill, it is heartrending when think you might lose one of them. Glad to hear that pooch is now on the mend.

@alteredsteve175 Ahhhh pizza. If I am going to have pizza I try to make it a thin crispy base that reduces the damage a bit. No reason to go without but yes you do need to plan a bit when with the grandkids. But I bet you and the kids had a great evening. Back on the wagon and full steam ahead.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,255 Member
    Hello everyone, been busy watching 3 of our grandkids who live next door for last 2 days while mom went out of town to spend overnight with her good friend. My husband is so good with them, he especially loves the 2yr old, the other 2 are 9 & 11. I don't like taking care of them at all, I know , I'm a bad grandma . My husband got a shot at dr's so it made him drowsy so I was with them most of the day & slept over...didn't really get sleep & they were up at 6:30. Our daughter got home by 1 today so that was good. I hated to be away from my dogs, we have 6. I don't really have a problem eating much of their food. They do have snacks but I don't care for them. My grand son's favorite snack is crunchy seaweed, Today was better because my grand daughter slept over her friends so it was a lot quieter. We took the boys grocery shopping with us. I'm making chicken salad for our church group that meets once a month & I barely ate anything so far & not hungry(stress) I have been with mfp since 2016, I'm just newer to this group. I'm finally able to not snack too much at night after quitting smoking in March, so I recently lost 1 pound, yay. I twisted my leg at Zumba last monday so all I did was swim & went for bike ride this morning. I'm glad to start getting my routine back to normal & will be glader when I hear from vet to find out when I know to take Eleanor out again. I feel bad for my other 5 dogs because I can't really take them out without her. She's SO attached to us, it would stress her out if I did that
  • Evamutt
    oh dear, I just saw this group is under getting started, can I still be here? I am restarting the weight I gained. I love this group
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,293 Member
    I think this is just where the thread began and anyone can join at anytime!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    So glad to hear Eleanor is on the mend. My dogs send wet licks. ❤
  • dlwin793
    dlwin793 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 61 years old. I weight 256 lbs and I am 5'4". I am finding it very hard to lose weight these days. My doctor says I am healthy but if I don't lose weight that will change. I am seriously thinking of having the gastric sleeve. I just wish I could lose the weight and keep it off. I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life, I have done my share of yo yo dieting. I love sweets, bread, rice, etc. I am not very active. I have started again this week. I am going to start walking. I have logged for the last 2 days!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Hi ohbeautifulqueen,
    This will sound probably stupid, but for within your 1500 calories, 30 carbs that’s quite low isn’t it. Do you consume a good amount of protein, that’s what the Atkins diet is isn’t it?
    I’ve just been playing around with my meals last couple of days as I’m not officially weighing in until Monday, to see where I can cut back on the calories. My water allowance is ok, I do drink over 8 glasses a day of water.
    Exercise is not good, have recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, not good lots of pain, but trying to do 5000 steps a day, not a lot but I hope to improve on it.
    Do you weigh each week?
    Have a good weekend, and good luck over the next week on plan.
    Diane x

Not sure why you think Exercise is not good because you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis. I will be 66 this December. I have Osteoarthritis in both my knees plus meniscus tear on the right knee since last 3 years. Walking is more painful for me so avoid long walks but do all sorts of other exercises like swimming, elliptical, rowing, stationary bike plus strength training and yoga etc., Exercise is helping me tremendously. The pain is more intense if I stop exercise for a week or so like when I am on vacation. With the knee pain, it is important to strength different muscles in our legs. Helps to recover better after knee replacement also. Just my 2 cents. Take care.
  • dlwin793, before you decide on having invasive surgery to lose weight, please give Keto, low carb, or Carnivore a try. I have been confined to bed and wheelchair since 1990 and I finally became disgusted with how much weight I had gained. Even doctors were recommending I consider weight loss surgery. When I came back here in April I was the same weight you are now (also the same height) and started off following Keto, before switching over to high protein and/or carnivore. Since doing so I have lost 44 pounds. Surgery is so drastic (and expensive, even with insurance) so consider all your other options first. We all know how hard it is but we're all here for support and encouragement.
  • manderson27
    Yesterday I did 30 mins on the rower and 30 mins on the treadmill, just gentle stuff nothing to drastic. This morning I went for an hours bike ride. Again nothing too strenuous it was all on the flat.

I feel like maybe I am starting to get back on track. Watching my logging/calorie intake and doing a bit more deliberate excercise should help me to start losing again.

Hope all you lovely people are having a good day as well.

• Evamutt
    @Nayghtymuffin I have regular arthritis & tendonitis & I got hit by car years ago which damaged my knee. I'm fine as long as I keep exercising to build up muscle, but am in pain if I don't. @dlwin793 , please do give a different diet a try, like keto before you look into having surgery to see if that will work for you
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi, all. Was away for the weekend and not paying much attention to MFP. Walked in a 5K fun run on Sunday morning - managed a 16 minutes per mile pace on a hilly course. I'll take that any day.

Another vote for trying some different diets for weight loss. I have done lazy keto and strict keto - that helped me lose 50 lbs. I can maintain on a more balanced plan, but I can't seem to lose. I have started restricting carbs again and have dropped a few pounds in the last month.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    I'm almost ashamed to post. I have a family of raccoons I feed every night around 11:00. Last night I was making them PB sandwiches, and the smell was driving me crazy, as I LOVE peanut butter. Just gave the knife a lick, after I finished spreading it on the bread. Then it was,: "Well, 1 tbs. won't hurt.". Next thing you know, more than a quarter of the jar was gone. Not only did I mess up my IF for today, but I probably scoffed down my carb and fat quotas for the rest of the year. However, that was yesterday and today is today. So, I'll just start again.

i LOVE that you make raccoons peanut butter sandwiches! i used to feed pigeons day old bread and bagels every day back in the day, but i didn't prepare food for them :)

• manderson27
    Hi, all. Was away for the weekend and not paying much attention to MFP. Walked in a 5K fun run on Sunday morning - managed a 16 minutes per mile pace on a hilly course. I'll take that any day.

Another vote for trying some different diets for weight loss. I have done lazy keto and strict keto - that helped me lose 50 lbs. I can maintain on a more balanced plan, but I can't seem to lose. I have started restricting carbs again and have dropped a few pounds in the last month.

Nice walk my friend. I am going to go a bit more toward low carb. I eat way too much bread. It is hard as I love my sandwiches.
  • joannalucia
    joannalucia Posts: 2 Member
    Hello 60+ers! New to the site and looking for friends to share this lifestyle. It’s harder the older I get. Thanks for all and any inspiration you have to offer!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    Hi all! I was 63 in April.

I’ve battled weight most of my life. In 2017 when my dad was dying and my mom slipping into dementia, I underwent varicose vein surgery. This was a very stressful time in my life and then the weigh in before the operation slapped me upside the head. I’d been doing not too badly over the years, hovering in the 170’s. I’m 5’10”, small frame. But with retiring and my parents’ struggling health, I turned to food. July 2017, I weighted 206. OMG. I had my surgery on one leg and found MFP. Second surgery, mid September and the scale was down 25 pounds. My dad died early October; my mom had to be admitted to Memory Care in December. By Christmas of 2017, my weight was 150. I was still frazzled emotionally but weight loss gave me a sense of control over my life.

That year I started to walk lots and then run, was doing strength training 4 days a week. By the summer of 2018, I was 141. Unfortunately, that was too difficult to maintain. (Maintenance is NOT my strong suit.). After three weeks I can cut my craving for carbs like bread and potatoes, but 18 months of low carb, very little sugar, no wine took its toll. I tried to add bits of that to my diet, but over the next year, I crept to mid 150’s, then into the low 160’s and then April 2018, I lost my willpower, totally. An all inclusive 2 week holiday in Jamaica, broke me. I came home at 175. 🥴 By last winter I was back to 186. I had screwed up big time😡

May 10th I started to log on MFP again. None of my clothes fit. I had given away all my fat clothes, vowing never to need them again. How stupid was that? Size 12 was snug. No way was I buying 14’s. I had drawers of 6’s, 8’s, and 10’s.

After 9 weeks of low carb and logging carefully, I’m down to 163. 25 pounds gone. 10- 15 to go. My size 10’s fit, a few 8 shorts and jeans are comfortable.

Sorry for the novel. I felt I needed to spill my story to others - confess my shortcomings rather than say poor me and eat myself silly.

Yes. One day at a time.....

I’m on here everyday so please add me if you’d like to journey together. Lynz

You sound like me! I lost 74 lbs about three years ago and have gained 40 back. I maintained about two years. Soooo here I go again. I know what you mean about clothes not fitting. I’ve made some progress but I know it’s going to take a while. I’m 64 but I lost my weight in my 60’s so it’s just a number. Love to have friends here who are working hard at this too!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,169 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello everyone, been busy watching 3 of our grandkids who live next door for last 2 days while mom went out of town to spend overnight with her good friend. My husband is so good with them, he especially loves the 2yr old, the other 2 are 9 & 11. I don't like taking care of them at all, I know , I'm a bad grandma . My husband got a shot at dr's so it made him drowsy so I was with them most of the day & slept over...didn't really get sleep & they were up at 6:30. Our daughter got home by 1 today so that was good. I hated to be away from my dogs, we have 6. I don't really have a problem eating much of their food. They do have snacks but I don't care for them. My grand son's favorite snack is crunchy seaweed, Today was better because my grand daughter slept over her friends so it was a lot quieter. We took the boys grocery shopping with us. I'm making chicken salad for our church group that meets once a month & I barely ate anything so far & not hungry(stress) I have been with mfp since 2016, I'm just newer to this group. I'm finally able to not snack too much at night after quitting smoking in March, so I recently lost 1 pound, yay. I twisted my leg at Zumba last monday so all I did was swim & went for bike ride this morning. I'm glad to start getting my routine back to normal & will be glader when I hear from vet to find out when I know to take Eleanor out again. I feel bad for my other 5 dogs because I can't really take them out without her. She's SO attached to us, it would stress her out if I did that

Hope your dog gets better soon
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,169 Member
    Hi all I'm coming 57 so not 60 yet but ang of you can add me if you want for support.
  • ysache13
    ysache13 Posts: 107 Member
    I just turned 60 and came back to this site too. I'm also incorporating a book to learn to "change my thinking" so I do not use food for any emotional reason and I'm enjoying having something finally new after all these years that actually makes sense to me. I'd LOVE to find someone who'd like to chat using the email on this site so we can truly have one another and be accountable - lifting each other up when we're down, become good friends on line and feel like we have found a real friend (my passed away) - so if anyone here wants that too, by all means write me (or friend me) and ask! :) Hope we ALL succeed