In your 60’s

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Hi Ladies, hope you are all doing well today.

I am struggling with the lack of nicotine. I want to eat all the food. Not actually physically hungry just looking for something to substitute for the ciggies.

I need to get down the gym and start lifting again but I am procrastinating for some reason.

What are you all struggling with at the moment?
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Nayghtymuffin Posts: 40 Member
    Good Evening
    I do feel sorry for you, I gave up smoking 30 years and to be honest I found it so easy, so why can’t I give up chocolate/sweets.
    I’m afraid one bar or packet is never enough for me.
    Counting calories does not allow me very much of my favourite.

So good luck, we can do this, let’s just take it one day at a time.

I’m afraid I’m not into going to the gym, I suffer quite badly from OA and I’m not able to walk to much at the moment, I love walking.
    But I’m persevering and trying so hard to do 5000 steps a day.

Have a great couple of days

Be very proud of yourself, giving up the nicotine is not easy.

Take care,
    Diane x
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Add me if ANY of you would like. 60 in August! I would love to journey with ALL of you. I have a 50 day logging streak going, lets see how far we can go!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member

I am struggling with the lack of nicotine. I want to eat all the food. Not actually physically hungry just looking for something to substitute for the ciggies.

I need to get down the gym and start lifting again but I am procrastinating for some reason.

How about Popsicles as a substitute?
  • denyselc1
    denyselc1 Posts: 4 Member
    I lost only 6 pounds in so many weeks, although I am very faithful to the program. and got back one pound last week, very upset!
    very slow...
  • ohbeautifulqueen
    ohbeautifulqueen Posts: 8 Member
    "I am struggling with the lack of nicotine. I want to eat all the food. Not actually physically hungry just looking for something to substitute for the ciggies."

Hi manderson,

The struggle with nicotine or food is real and hard. I feel for you!

I will share what I have done in the past that helped me avoid sugar, my personal addiction. I would search the internet and read anything about how bad sugar was for my body. I watched tons of you tube videos about what things sugar and obesity did to me. I carried that knowledge and thought about it whenever I felt weak. It's aversion therapy and it helped me get over the hump and through some struggles.

I hope you get over the worst of it soon. Stay strong! You can do this! We're here to support you!
  • Needresults
    Needresults Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone.. I am 60 and here wanting to lose weight like everyone else..we all can do this ;)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2019
    Lost 4lbs in March and again in April. Weight loss slowed in May and bounced up and down in June.

In July I asked my acupuncturist/TCM (gift to self for 60y bday) for diet input.

My new macros on 1100kcal are: fat at 50g; net carbs at 90g (carbs less fiber) (AND the carbs cannot be from starches--processed grains, potatoes, carrots, corn, bananas, etc which makes this low-glycemic); protein at 70g.

Dr would like me to eat 1500kcal with the 35%-40%-25% macros profile. Right now I am happy at 1100-1300kcal.

It looks like July will be back on track. I gave myself 4 month goal to stop the weight creep and a plan that works. If I can loose 4-6 pounds in July then GW0 will be met.

• manderson27
    Good Evening
    I do feel sorry for you, I gave up smoking 30 years and to be honest I found it so easy, so why can’t I give up chocolate/sweets.
    I’m afraid one bar or packet is never enough for me.
    Counting calories does not allow me very much of my favourite.

So good luck, we can do this, let’s just take it one day at a time.

I’m afraid I’m not into going to the gym, I suffer quite badly from OA and I’m not able to walk to much at the moment, I love walking.
    But I’m persevering and trying so hard to do 5000 steps a day.

Have a great couple of days

Be very proud of yourself, giving up the nicotine is not easy.

Take care,
    Diane x

Thanks Diane. OA is a really difficult thing to deal with. My doctor called it the "Good Arthritis" Because you can manage it. I was lucky caught it early and got a treatment plan going.

The hardest part is trying to keep moving, the pain is excruciating so it sets up a cycle of less movement more pain leading to less movement. Breaking that cycle is incredibly hard. I hope you can get some improvement as time goes by.

Maureen x
  • manderson27
    Something that I have found very useful is a weight trending app. I use Libra for android. I think it is Happy Scale for IOS

You weigh yourself daily same time same clothing or lack of. You enter your weight in the app and it shows you the general trend of your weight loss. It smooths out all the normal fluctuations so it is less desheartening when your weight wobbles about a bit because you can see the trend is still going down. Having all this data helps me see what causes these fluctuations so I am prepared and do not panick if my weight goes up a bit.

Speaking of fluctuations remember that this is normal, your weight can vary by quite a lot overnight for many reasons. High sodium meal, extra excercise, more carbs than normal, etc etc. This is not fat, it is water weight and will go away over the next few days.

Don't let the scale fluctuations put you off and stop your progress.

Hugs to all xx
  • manderson27
    "I am struggling with the lack of nicotine. I want to eat all the food. Not actually physically hungry just looking for something to substitute for the ciggies."

Hi manderson,

The struggle with nicotine or food is real and hard. I feel for you!

I will share what I have done in the past that helped me avoid sugar, my personal addiction. I would search the internet and read anything about how bad sugar was for my body. I watched tons of you tube videos about what things sugar and obesity did to me. I carried that knowledge and thought about it whenever I felt weak. It's aversion therapy and it helped me get over the hump and through some struggles.

I hope you get over the worst of it soon. Stay strong! You can do this! We're here to support you!

Thanks @ohbeautifulqueen I agree, keeping the health issues to the forefront of my mind is helping me a lot.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I use Libra, too. I really like it.

I also use Health Mate, which syncs with my scale and MFP.
  • manderson27
    Hi everyone.. I am 60 and here wanting to lose weight like everyone else..we all can do this ;)

@Needresults We are all in this together check out the sucess stories for motivation. There are some awesome people on this site.
  • manderson27
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    Lost 4lbs in March and again in April. Weight loss slowed in May and bounced up and down in June.

In July I asked my acupuncturist/TCM (gift to self for 60y bday) for diet input.

My new macros on 1100kcal are: fat at 50g; net carbs at 90g (carbs less fiber) (AND the carbs cannot be from starches--processed grains, potatoes, carrots, corn, bananas, etc which makes this low-glycemic); protein at 70g.

Dr would like me to eat 1500kcal with the 35%-40%-25% macros profile. Right now I am happy at 1100-1300kcal.

It looks like July will be back on track. I gave myself 4 month goal to stop the weight creep and a plan that works. If I can loose 4-6 pounds in July then GW0 will be met.

Sounds like you have a handle on this just be aware that it can be difficult to get the proper nutrition under 1200 cals per day.
  • manderson27
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

How about Popsicles as a substitute?

Certainly warm enough here, you might be on to something :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,609 Member
    Hi, all!

I'm in the right demographic for this thread (63) but maybe not the right goal (maintaining weight now, mid-130s, after decades at 180+ until 2015, when I lost around 50 in a bit less than a year at age 59-60). I'm sedentary outside of intentional exercise (which I've been doing around 6 days a week for 15+ years), also severely hypothyroid (but treated).

I lost weight and maintain with this eating approach:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

You can reach your goals at any age: Hang in there, and don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    How did you deal with sagging skin, AnnPT77 since, at our age, skin doesn't have the elasticity we had as Spring Chickens?