Keto for beginners

I am thinking about starting keto but not sure where to start. Any advice for a beginner?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Research. Research. Research.

Do a search in the forums and groups for keto and you'll find a ton of information.

Make sure whatever way of eating you pick is sustainable for you. That's what will allow you to stick to it.

Good luck!
  • Mishilovescolours
    Mishilovescolours Posts: 32 Member
    As Lynda said lots of research. You have to be strict on giving up carbs. This is a very low carb way of eating. And many people think it is high protein. It is high fat and moderate protein.
  • travelworkout212
    travelworkout212 Posts: 4 Member
    I started keto like 3 weeks ago. I agree with Lynda said that it’s best to go on different credible websites to see what foods are acceptable. I started with figuring out what my daily calorie deficit should be and my macro percentage (can get a rough estimate with different online keto macro calculator). When I first started I thought keto was all about eating a bunch of bacon and anything with meat ( I mean in moderation it might be fine). That’s just “dirty” keto and it’s better to get the fat from Whole Foods. Eating the require amount of fat was hard at first, but it gets easier with time. Good luck!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    We have some groups where you might also find more helpful information.

Here's a link to our largest low-carb group. Not everyone there does keto, but many do:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Here's a keto group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

And here's a group for paleo/primal enthusiasts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    The Keto group and the Low Carber Daily Forum group are great places for chatting, tips, and recipes for keto.

Because protein naturally has fats, a lot of the fats can come from proteins, filling in the rest of the daily fat calories with olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, or butter.

Carbs pretty much need to be carbs from veggies. I eat a lot of greens, cherry tomatoes, onions, peppers, asparagus, broccoli, avocados, etc. and never end up over on my carbs.

It's easy to get fat in, I sautee everything in olive oil or coconut oil.

The list of restrictions is a little much, no: legumes, beans (except green beans or lima beans), safflower oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, no starchy veggies like potatoes, no rice, no sugars or sweeteners that increase insulin (honey, agave, cane sugar, sucralose, saccharin, or aspartame), no bread/baked goods, no milk.

But can substitute milk for half and half, can eat cheeses, nuts, can use sweeteners like stevia, swerve, or monk fruit. Can make baked goods using almond or coconut flour.
    And sweet treat fat bombs with coconut oil, unsweetened peanut butter and/or coconut flakes, unsweetened cocoa powder, and stevia. Mix all this together over low heat, throw in ice tray, freeze, better than candy!!!

I don't find this way of eating very restrictive, I stay full and have insane energy boosts.

Good luck!!