Vegetarian Keto Gal! 30/F

Options
Hi there,

I'm Tiff, a vegetarian, who has recently started keto. I'm struggling with losing weight and I believe it's mainly due to my calorie intake. In two months I've only lost 10lbs, unfortunately. I hope that this will allow me to track my calories and better understand what my body needs to lose weight.

A little more about me!

190lbs
I'm 4'10
I live in WA state.
Had gastric in '17.
I used to be 294lbs.
I'm trying to be more active.
& Could use a friend or 10 for support lol.

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :) 100 pounds since gastric and 10 pounds in the last 2 months is great progress! Don't be discouraged. Keep going.

If you're interested in keto, you might like to check out these groups

Here's a link to our largest low-carb group. Not everyone there does keto, but many do:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Here's a keto group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

And here's a group for paleo/primal enthusiasts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I applaud you for your success so far and hope you enjoy the rest of the journey.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in two months is kind of awesome!

I can't really help you with your diet, as I eat a lot of carbs.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there. Good luck!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    @MsTiffrny

Hi, I eat Keto. I actually switched from mostly vegetarian to keto, but to me the two diets are very similar. I cook my veggies in coconut oil or olive oil now, instead of steaming them. ;)

Also, had already given up things like store bought breads and tortilla shells, because most contain meat.

I'm also in Washington State, on the Pacific coast.

I recommend joining the Keto group and the Low Carber Daily Forum group on here.

Great places for tips, recipes, and discussions with others in keto woe.

Good luck!
  • LyndaBSS
    Options

Also, had already given up things like store bought breads and tortilla shells, because most contain meat.

@Emmapatterson1729

Could you please explain the above. I don't get it. Thank you! ☺
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @LyndaBSS
    Sure. I follow the Torah and pretty much try to eat kosher.

There are some very extensive food lists that have been made to show what products contain pork or shellfish. Most store sold breads and tortilla shells contain pork. Something I didn't realize when I was vegetarian. Also certain orange juices, fruit juices, mints, cereals, marshmallows, the list goes on and on!

And just a side note: my rant yesterday on b12 was not directed in any way towards you, I like almost all your comments I've seen on threads!! ;)

• LyndaBSS
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation. That's fascinating.

Not to worry about yesterday. I apologize for being over the top. ❤
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Sorry, very confused here @Emmapatterson1729 I eat strictly kosher and enjoy all the products you've listed.
    Surely, if they contained pork/shellfish they would legally be labeled as such, for allergic people.
    You may be referring to some other problems due to kosher i.e. marshmallows may contain fish gelatin, some smoothies/juices may contain grape juice etc
    Kingsmill and Hovis bread are kosher certified (and possibly other brands in the US)
    I hope that's helpful. Good luck.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Sorry, very confused here @Emmapatterson1729 I eat strictly kosher and enjoy all the products you've listed.
    Surely, if they contained pork/shellfish they would legally be labeled as such, for allergic people.
    You may be referring to some other problems due to kosher i.e. marshmallows may contain fish gelatin, some smoothies/juices may contain grape juice etc
    Kingsmill and Hovis bread are kosher certified (and possibly other brands in the US)

@Perla4686

Pork is not listed on labels as pork; it's under different names.

I'm not talking about products labeled Kosher or Halah!

Wonder Bread-pork
    Altoids-pork
    Minute maid, some flavors-pork
    Ocean spray, some flavors -pork
    Tortilla shells (not all brands, but most brands) -pork
    Orange juice Genitically modified to contain spliced swine genes-pork
    American cheese-pork
    Busch beers - clam juice

Lists, like in link below, there are several of these out there for Muslims and Jewish, where organizations call each company and ask which products contain pork or shellfish.

https://www.theisraelofgodrc.com/CUPL.html

Can look up Halah lists also for extensive lists of products containing pork.

I don't eat corn syrup, and it's the same thing---hidden in everything, under several different names.

Not to mention, ALMOST any product labeled as "natural flavors" that is vanilla or berry, is unclean excretions from a beaver's anal glands... Yogurts, ice creams, juices, etc.

Good luck!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @LyndaBSS

I didn't think you were over the top at all!!

I am now trying to limit my forum usage to only seeking new keto or low carb people and direct them to the groups.

I don't deal well with arguing, debating, or confrontations. In my late 20s and early 30s, loved it. With age, I've lost the desire to partake in unnecessary drama that seems to just stress me out. ;) LOL, I have enough cortisol from real life, don't need extra added from a cyber-life...hahaha.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options

Not to mention, ALMOST any product labeled as "natural flavors" that is vanilla or berry, is unclean excretions from a beaver's anal glands... Yogurts, ice creams, juices, etc.

Um.... what?! 😩
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Um.... what?! 😩

Yeah!!! The FDA is great at hiding things from the public with very generic, but legal, labeling! LOL, don't get me started on everything I've researched for years and years on labeling, studies, and clinical trials on our foods.

Sorry to OP... Hijacking of threads seems to happen often on MFP. Welcome to the community!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

Um.... what?! 😩

Yeah, there's all kinds of weird things like this that you learn when you start trying to go vegan.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »

Um.... what?! 😩

Yeah, there's all kinds of weird things like this that you learn when you start trying to go vegan.

Like the bugs used for some red food colorings.

I didn't know any of this when I ate vegetarian. Whenever I tell these to vegetarians, they're usually shocked. Honestly, who would think when you order the vegetarian burger that comes on a white bun with American cheese.... That the cheese has pork fat and probably the bread too. And unfortunately, the servers, cooks, managers, and owners wouldn't know. It's just not common knowledge. Majority of people (in America, at least) do not know what they're eating.

Just to prevent arguments... Not talking about the minority of the population that reads labels and eats clean.... If this is you, and you're aware of everything being consumed, you have to know that we are the minority.