Cat calls while working out

Options

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Jumping back in this thread. I've noticed that my Hellos or Good Mornings seem to get a response back about 75% of the time, now that I have lost almost 60 lbs. It was around around 25% when I was 60 lbs heavier...(maybe because I was miserable and gave off that vibe)? or were they just shallow and looked down on me?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Cat-calling aside for a moment, I think that a lot of the incentive to acknowledge strangers may depend on where you live.

Case in point:

I was born and raised in a big city. Although I knew the names of some of my neighbours and would wave or say hi in passing, that's as far as it was commonly extended.

Two decades ago, we moved away to a small town.

I remember being out weeding my front lawn that first spring and a guy - a complete stranger - drove past me down my little street and waved. This big city girl turned around to see who he was actually waving at, because it surely couldn't have been me! LOL.

I soon learned that this was very common here. People wave to each other like this all the time. People out walking always say hi in passing and sometimes stop for a quick conversation. Pleasantries are exchanged, dogs are patted. Even joggers with headphones or people on bikes will wave and smile.

But even given this open-minded approach, cat-calling a woman would be as unacceptable here as it would be anywhere else.

Working in a small town, I know exactly what you mean. The only thing I didn't like is everyone knew everyone's business and gossiped about it. Drove me insane! Back in the big city now.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Cat-calling aside for a moment, I think that a lot of the incentive to acknowledge strangers may depend on where you live.

Case in point:

I was born and raised in a big city. Although I knew the names of some of my neighbours and would wave or say hi in passing, that's as far as it was commonly extended.

Two decades ago, we moved away to a small town.

I remember being out weeding my front lawn that first spring and a guy - a complete stranger - drove past me down my little street and waved. This big city girl turned around to see who he was actually waving at, because it surely couldn't have been me! LOL.

I soon learned that this was very common here. People wave to each other like this all the time. People out walking always say hi in passing and sometimes stop for a quick conversation. Pleasantries are exchanged, dogs are patted. Even joggers with headphones or people on bikes will wave and smile.

But even given this open-minded approach, cat-calling a woman would be as unacceptable here as it would be anywhere else.

Personality type can play a role too. Some people are more naturally charismatic than others and it has a disarming effect on most strangers wherever they are. I wouldn't know this personally because I am gruff... very gruff.

I would always be hesitant to comment on a woman's appearance and unless it was one of the really rare exceptions I wouldn't do it with a woman who is a stranger to me. An exception might be telling a woman she looks nice at her wedding.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    we're still waiting for the usual, "if he was young and hot you'd like it! Snobs!!"
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    @trbp72 I may perhaps be the only person/female on here that kinda agrees with you.

I don't like it if people yell "hey I wanna *kitten* you" or something crass like that at me, but I don't mind it if someone just pays a compliment, or even just a wolf whistle.

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Now I'm left feeling more self conscious and kind of gross. Should I have been flattered? I just feel a touch ashamed and like I should go cover up.

Flattered or ashamed? He's rude. His problems are not your problems.

Most catcalls are probably not going to turn into crime, but that's the only thing I would worry about. There are some nuts out there. Do what you want, dress the way you want, be happy and healthy, but I would just watch my back and be aware of my surroundings. Don't let somebody else ruin your day.
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options