Do you use butter or margarine?

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I can't bring myself to eat margarine for a whole host of reasons, even though butter has more fat and calories I still believe its much better for me than margarine.

What does everyone else use?

Replies

• kelvincornish1
    Options
    Butter now but as with vast swathes of people all over the world I fell for the marketing. But I started getting more into reading the labels and seeing what stuff with unpronouncable names margarine contained. Even so-called 'healthy' margarines. There is stuff in margarine that your body does not know what to do with so it could store it as fat. So when I do have spread (which is rare to be honest) then it is always butter. Butter is more 'natural' and 'clean'. Yes it has fat but it has none of the rubbish that goes into margarine. Just don't have too much butter!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If cooking (especially baking, otherwise the chemistry gets messed up), butter. Not going to play around with substitutions unless I know the recipe pretty well first.

If on bread, margarine. Simply because it's what I've always had so it tastes 'right' to me. That said, I don't seem to be consuming much bread these days and when I do have a sandwich I tend to prefer other condiments (cranberry chutney, mint jelly, sweet chili sauce...) *shrugs*
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    easy answer. None of it :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Natural foods are good for you and use all things in moderation. Margerine is not natural so don't use it.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Butter

I hate the taste of margarine with a passion
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love butter and hate margarine. It's always butter for me. It's more natural and better to use as long as it's in moderation.....I feel the same about sugar v sweeteners.
    :)

However...I do sometimes use margarine in my baking but not often x
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Margarine does NOT have less fat than butter! That is absolutely false. Read the nutritional information labels or look it up on NutritionData.com: margarine is 99%-100% calories from fat per serving, butter is 100%.

The only difference is that margarine has water, emulsifiers, stabilizers, and other junk that makes it more spreadable and prevents spoilage. You might notice some margarines have fewer calories per tbsp than butter, but that's because the water and junk add volume without adding calories.

Eat butter in moderation. It's natural. It contains no dangerous trans fats. And it's DELICIOUS!
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Butter or coconut oil
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Butter every time. Marg is basically plastic and full of artificial crap and in comparison tastes like sh**
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one! People look at me like I'm mad when I wash I'm watching what I eat then butter my toast XD
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way. I have never bothered with Margerine. I hate the taste!
  • shethumb
    shethumb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I use anything, it's butter. I'm learning to like things (like toast or corn on the cob) without anything at all.
  • momof6boys10
    Options
    Definitely butter! All natural...and the fats in butter far outweigh the junk they put in margarine!!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Butter- I like the flavor and if I am going to use it I figure I need to like it.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you posted this. I recently saw this posted on facebook and wondered how much of it was true. I'll have to research it later...
    "
    Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
    Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?"
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I use neither. I used to be a butter lover, but I was also nearly 300 lbs. no need for that crap.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Butter. But actually I've learned that for the most part I can live without it. I still use it for baking and such but those are usually items I'm not eating too much of anyway. I was brought up on homemade butter the old-fashioned churned way so never really made the switch to margarine.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Omg. I eat margarine daily!!! Shoot. I better stop. Is smart balance margarine? What about spreadable vegetable oil?
  • justlast
    justlast Posts: 30
    Options
    i love trying to substitute butter when i'm baking (it helps that a lot of my friends are vegan), but as far as preference goes, it still wins out most of the time - i just use a lot less now :)