Do you use butter or margarine?

Options

Replies

• aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you posted this. I recently saw this posted on facebook and wondered how much of it was true. I'll have to research it later...

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp snopes already did the research for you!

edit: some of the research. whoops!

Ahhh, should've thought to snopes it real quick. Thanks!!! The molecule thing was the only part that I was like "okay bs" because a lot of things are only one molecule off from being something poisonous or toxic and are harmless. I think I'll still stick with butter though. :)
  • ozofeliz
    ozofeliz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. I live in Spain :)
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    butter is better!! or coconut oil. The other stuff is just fake processed CRAP. can you say chemical **** storm???
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Stuck with vegan margarine if I want something like that. Ick.

I miss you, butter.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use durex lube........ But I like the way your thinking:D
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Margarine is the devil!! And very close to being a plastic.

Oh please! H2O vs H2O2. Doesn't make water is the devil.

Good point, but water at least isn't made with chemical junk. I think that's what they're getting at.

I made the switch from margarine to butter at the beginning of this year - tastes waaaayyy better! And I only use it on my toast or in the pan when making eggs. I plan on further substituting it eventually (there's a nice jar of coconut oil in the fridge that isn't used nearly enough!), but old habits die hard.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    butter is better!! or coconut oil. The other stuff is just fake processed CRAP. can you say chemical **** storm???

It's all chemicals. I've read the labels of a lot of margarines, I've yet to see crap or **** listed.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter :love:

yes!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to eat margarine for a whole host of reasons, even though butter has more fat and calories I still believe its much better for me than margarine.

What does everyone else use?

unsalted butter. never margarine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Good point, but water at least isn't made with chemical junk. I think that's what they're getting at.

I made the switch from margarine to butter at the beginning of this year - tastes waaaayyy better! And I only use it on my toast or in the pan when making eggs. I plan on further substituting it eventually (there's a nice jar of coconut oil in the fridge that isn't used nearly enough!), but old habits die hard.

I grew up in a household that used nothing but margarine so it tastes fine to me. Taste is just personal preference. Butter tastes good too. Both are chemicals but I rarely use either and haven't for many years. I don't really consider either a "healthy food". I think olive oil is "healthy" so I use that.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    BUTTAH!!! - as a spread.

Or coconut oil. (Always coconut oil on my sweet potatoes. nice complement of flavors).

I rotate between bacon grease, ghee (butter less the dairy particles), butter, or coconut oil for sauteing/frying.

*waiting for the CICO police to nab me for using bacon grease*
  • jenn26point2
    Options

I grew up in a household that used nothing but margarine so it tastes fine to me. Taste is just personal preference. Butter tastes good too. Both are chemicals but I rarely use either and haven't for many years. I don't really consider either a "healthy food". I think olive oil is "healthy" so I use that.

Butter is not chemicals. it's churned cream (and occasionally salt).
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    Kerrygold butter :love:

yes!

The most amazing butter in the whole wide world! I can't get enough KG!! :love:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    Beef tallow. My main use for refined fat is frying and clarified butter is a PITA to get my hands on around here.

You can make your own. It's super easy.

Take a block of butter and put in a pan on low heat. Let melt and continue to heat until the white solids float to the top. Scrape off the white solids (this is the dairy particles). Turn up heat just a tiny bit to bring to a slow simmer. This will bring the rest of the dairy to the top, or will caramelize it on the bottom of the pan. When the bottom has browned, scrape the white off the top and filter the oil through a paper towel or cheese cloth (folded over 4 times to make 8 layers of cheese cloth) into a glass storage container.

Tada! Clarified butter!! I use Kerrygold for this. Heaven in a jar!
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    Definitely butter. I don't know why people are scared of fat, except that's what we were preached to for the last 30 years (at least). And we're all so lean and healthy these days! I haven't been skimping on fat for several months and I'm way leaner now than when I watched the fat and ate more grains. In fact, my BF has dropped below 20%. Fat is so just satiating. A whole avocado, real cream in your coffee, bacon.... Bring it on!

^THIS!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I use butter, but hardly ever.
  • jenn26point2
    Options
    Real butter. I make it myself once a month in the food processor. It takes a whopping 20 minutes and there is no garbage in it.

I wanna this but I can't find raw milk in Iowa (it's still currently illegal). As soon as it's available, I'll be making my own. Until then, it's Kerrygold! :heart:
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    butter. organic if on sale. unsalted.

I most use butter for baking. I keep it in the freezer, that's how rare I use it.

I most cook with olive oil or nothing at all. sometimes I'll stir fry or sautee my veggies in a bit of salad dressing.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Butter--unsalted-Butter