Do you use butter or margarine?

Options

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Butter and olive oil but all in moderation. Fat is a needed in the body just too much is bad for you. We became fatter the more low fat we ate. I don't fry foods however
  • justlast
    justlast Posts: 30
    Options
    That's funny that you posted this. I recently saw this posted on facebook and wondered how much of it was true. I'll have to research it later...

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp snopes already did the research for you!

edit: some of the research. whoops!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to eat margarine for a whole host of reasons, even though butter has more fat and calories I still believe its much better for me than margarine.

What does everyone else use?

Rarely, but when I do I use Nutelex Original - its a high quality non-diary margarine made in Australia.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • icklem3l
    Options
    Butter, beter taste and you use less. Coconut oil also great for cooking. And all natural
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Butter or olive oil.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Gimmie some Butta!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to eat margarine for a whole host of reasons, even though butter has more fat and calories I still believe its much better for me than margarine.

What does everyone else use?

Oh hands down butter, I luv butter. Like many foods, I eat it in moderation (often a pat daily). I also regularly use butter spray for cooking.

I just so happen to favor whipped butter and my quick googling just now suggests that's a better choice:

"...The process of whipping adds air to the butter, making it lighter and less dense. If you can stick with the same tablespoon-size portion, you'll save up to half the calories and saturated fat by choosing whipped butter in a tub..."

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20509217_5,00.html
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Butter!!!!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Butter always, but I also use a lot of coconut butter as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use bacon grease

moar betta than both of them.

I also use coconut oil.... and butter.

I'm not picky- lard is lard. it's all delicious- I refuse to use margarine or " I can't believe it's not butter" Eff that noise.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Both. Depends on the circumstance. I really don't believe the hype.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Butter!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    butter & only butter. Cannot stand margarine
  • jpgilham
    Options
    Butter definitely. When bugs and bacteria won't eat margarine that's a pretty good clue that I shouldn't either.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    butter! my husband, who had high cholesterol until he cut wayyyy back on animal products, uses Earth Balance. Seems to be the healthiest and least offensive fake butter out there. Smart balance on the other hand, tastes like crap. i made cookies with it once and nobody in my family would eat them, and im a professional cook!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I won't put margarine on anything. Use butter and olive oil sparingly and just starting to use coconut oil.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely use either. I most often consume either when eating out so I use whatever is offered. My husband uses Benecol margarine so on the rare occasion I use any at home I use that because it's all we have.

I use evoo for most everything for which I previously used butter or maragrine.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Butter. I grew up on margarine because our mothers were convinced it was better for us. As soon as I got married, I bought butter. Been using it ever since. The b/f uses margarine....he won't change.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's funny that you posted this. I recently saw this posted on facebook and wondered how much of it was true. I'll have to research it later...
    "
    Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
    Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?"

This ^^ is nonsense. First of all, all margarines are the same. It's like comparing cereals and saying all have the same ingredients and nutritional content. Butter is butter. But since margarine is a processed food, contents vary greatly. There are many margarines avaialble without trans fats these days.

And anyone that says flies won't go near margarine obviously doesn't use it. I grew up in a household that used only margarine. Trust me, flies will land on it.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter :love: