Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @forestdweller1 I wish I lived near by you and could be your "swatter" for that sneaky third glass of wine that plagues your thoughts.
    Your 200 day AF streak, WOW that is over 6 months! Such an accomplishment. It certainly provided you with the strength you needed to deal with all that ex-sil BS, your grandson getting served drinks at an illegal age by his Father and all the other crap that was thrown your way.
    And so your at 20 days now. And that also is a huge accomplishment. So do not fear what is not happening. That will drive you more crazy in the long run.
    Let Catpuccino show you how to enjoy life. If your pet is like mine(I have a dog verses a cat) they got it made in the shade
    ONE DAY AT A TIME😻
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,556 Member
    Options
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.
    August 15 - AF - I didn't want to be AF today, but I had to make up for the holiday drinks still.
    August 16 - 3 drinks. Not planned. 4 AF days in a row prior, but I was feeling some anxiety, missed my Tuesday opportunity to have drinks because I was trying to make up for my holiday. I actually wanted to be fresh and un-bloated for tomorrow's multi-cultural festival in the park. Drank a bunch of water after, hoping to lessen the tomorrow effects of having drinks tonight. I don't think that it was self-sabotage. 4AF days in a row...might be too many for me still. Working on it...
    August 17 - AF - planned wine with a gf tomorrow.
    August 18 - 3 drinks - running out of time to rack up a bunch of AF days - aiming for at least 7 more.
    August 19 - AF
    August 20 - 3 drinks

11AF days out of 20 days so far.
  • MissMay
    Options
    "running out of time to rack up a bunch of AF days - aiming for at least 7 more"
    @dawnbgethealthy you have plenty of time left in August to squeeze in those 7 AF days!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.
    August 15 - AF - I didn't want to be AF today, but I had to make up for the holiday drinks still.
    August 16 - 3 drinks. Not planned. 4 AF days in a row prior, but I was feeling some anxiety, missed my Tuesday opportunity to have drinks because I was trying to make up for my holiday. I actually wanted to be fresh and un-bloated for tomorrow's multi-cultural festival in the park. Drank a bunch of water after, hoping to lessen the tomorrow effects of having drinks tonight. I don't think that it was self-sabotage. 4AF days in a row...might be too many for me still. Working on it...
    August 17 - AF - planned wine with a gf tomorrow.
    August 18 - 3 drinks - running out of time to rack up a bunch of AF days - aiming for at least 7 more.
    August 19 - AF
    August 20 - 3 drinks
    August 21 - AF

12AF days out of 21 days so far.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @thin1dayplease nice start to drinking less alcohol. The every other day plan. Good manage!
  • MissMay
    Options
    So yesterday I stopped into DD (Dunkin Donuts) for an iced coffee. It was busy so I occupied my time by by glacing over at their donut case. EUREKA here is what every reastraunt, bar, alcohol isle and home needs. DD has calorie content of each single donut listed right beside the little buggers.
    So today I have for you. A calorie count of some of the most popular alcoholic drinks. Add those up for a day, week or month. You may start to cringe a bit when you see the talley.
    Enjoy!
    bhx9gdbw1q1u.jpg
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    @MissMay ...Thanks for the kind offer !! Fortunately for me, the part of the year that is spent on Little Deer is totally without alcohol or stress. Unless you count the time my oldest and I decided to explore their newly purchased 8 1/2 acres of thick forest and got very very lost. After about an hour of squishing though muck and climbing over deadfalls we emerged onto a neighbor's goat farm...laughing hysterically and fending off the little horned buggers who saw "people" and thought "it's feeding time".

White Russians ?? Used to make my own "Kahlua", back in the day... >:)

Day 22 of clear eyed and productive sobriety.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @forestdweller1 are you on Little Deer Isle now? Because ya know, it is only a few hours away. And @mainelylisa is up here to. We could have our own AF festival!! 🤹‍♀️
    I am being totaly serious. @mainelylisa and I have met up a few times for some laughing and chatting. Would love to meet you as well since your in "the neighborhood ".

Love the goat farm story!

Yea...seems all my lovely drinks I would go for back in the day were 250+ calories. Oh and add in the sodium content of those Bloody Mary's and your bloated for 4 days afterward. Never a good look.
    Racking up 800 useless calories back then a night after exercising my buns off that morning just was stupid.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Cool chart @MissMay
    I wonder where you got it.

So a vodka and soda is 65 calories but a straight shot of vodka is 100? and a Martini which is basically just vodka or gin and is 175? If rum is 100 (it is 65) , adding 0 cal diet coke turns it up to 133? 0 carbs in a Martini, 0 carbs in a rum and diet coke? I am pretty sure that there are carbs in all booze. Somehow adding syrup to vodka makes it only 40 calories for the lemon drop drink. Hmm.

I really enjoyed reading the recipes. It is fun nevertheless, but not really accurate.

For sure there are calories in alcohol...and in donuts : - )

Alcohol once entering the system makes our bodies get busy dealing with it. So our bodies stop burning our fat and turn all of the attention into dealing with the alcohol. I think that is the true reason that it is so difficult to lose weight if we drink booze.

Vodka and soda seems to be the drink if we are trying to cut calories from our booze.
    The Oatmeal cookie drink sounds so delicious though.

Thank you as always for keeping us all engaged : - )
  • MissMay
    Options
    I have been working on getting at the core of why I keep slipping. I checked out my patterns, 3 setbacks this summer. I seem to have these bouts of motivation only to find that a week later, motivation is gone and I regress. It happens during periods of stress and feeling down. And it's not only alcohol, but overeating. So I ask myself what about my thinking can I change moving forward?

That is a great ponder @globalhiker. We each need to get inside our own heads. Trying what works for someone else may not work for us. I like your process,
  • MissMay
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy there are so many charts on Google if you search. I picked one that was easy to read and had simplicity. Now I am not sure it is 100% true to the calories but it gives you the basic idea that alcohol is not calorie free.
    I would go out with groups in the past that would insist on not eating if we were going to party. Little did they know they were probably consuming more alcohol calories that night then if they would have had that burger earlier. Oh and most of them ended up with the drunk munchies afterward anyways eating everything in sight.

😊
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    @dawnbgethealthy there are so many charts on Google if you search. I picked one that was easy to read and had simplicity. Now I am not sure it is 100% true to the calories but it gives you the basic idea that alcohol is not calorie free.
    I would go out with groups in the past that would insist on not eating if we were going to party. Little did they know they were probably consuming more alcohol calories that night then if they would have had that burger earlier. Oh and most of them ended up with the drunk munchies afterward anyways eating everything in sight.

😊

Well @MissMay I do know some very skinny alcoholics, and yeah, they don't eat.
    Considering how I puke if I have more than 3 drinks, I definitely have to eat first, like a steak or something or I might be puking after 2 lol.

Definitely something like a creamy Pina Colada probably has like a zillion calories.

I like how the Margarita that was put in the blender with ice is 248cal, but if you don't put it in the blender it is only 182 lol.

MFP has many confirmed actual calories for various drinks.

Better to just not have drinks too often : - )