Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Jumping in here although I have been reading for a while. This thread is very inspiring. Last night I thought of all of your posts when I was tempted to have more than I planned (2 gin and tonics). I wanted to be able to post this morning and say that I had not poured a little "extra." My short term goal is to stick to planned amounts, then decrease them a bit and weave in some AF days. I had several in June and just one in July. I felt much better this morning than I did yesterday morning and there were no hazy memories of the previous night.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    @yotetrapper
    Definitely music is so tied with emotions, memories, deeper feelings in general. Different genres I am sure evoke different feelings. I was recently at a Blues festival where drinking seemed to go along with it. It didn't make me personally want to drink, but 12 hour days out in a field did include going into the beer tent a few times. Blues in a smoky bar might have affected me differently.
    Conversely, I know young people who go to Shambala and the type of music played there lends itself to wanting to do drugs like Ecstasy.
    Sweet Home Alabama sure is a party atmosphere sort of song.

And yes @MissMay I knew that Ted Nugent doesn't drink. Women who want to look after their skin, like JLo, also list abstinence as their beauty secret.

Nice that we can define our triggers and either avoid those, or somehow try to change our associations that we get with them.

• yotetrapper
    yotetrapper Posts: 37 Member
    Well, tonight was a total loss.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    edited August 2019
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.
    August 13 - AF - Tuesday, my sort of planned day to have a few drinks, but seeing as I had drinks 4 days in a row on my holiday I needed to rack up another AF day. In fact I will need to be AF tomorrow too if I want to see 4AF days per week at this juncture.
    August 14 - AF - Just squeaked to my 4AF days per week. Of course 5 would have been better, but the 4 days in a row of drinks put me behind. I don't think that I have had 4 days in a row of drinks since October. Playing catch up now.
    August 15 - AF - I didn't want to be AF today, but I had to make up for the holiday drinks still.

9AF days out of 15 days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy

Why?
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member

That was last night.
    Today is a brand new day.
    Remember ONE day at a time is our motto. ☺
  • MissMay
    Welcome @ducky133 . I tried to give you a greeting last night, but the boards were down. Glad our posts made you want to read and join in.
  • MissMay
    @Womona that has happened to me through out this entire journey while being on this thread. Drinks that once were my favorites now all seem so not worth the time, energy, money. Sounds like you had a great time away.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Haven't stopped yet but cut down only had 1 glass of wine last night.
  • MissMay
    I looked back at my 2018 calander that I keep for tracking on here. I am better this present day August, than last August at this time. Under the talley by 2 standard size drinks for the beginning of August. Not an earth shaking news event....but one that keeps me honest with myself and accountable for what I put in my mouth.

• MissMay
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Haven't stopped yet but cut down only had 1 glass of wine last night.

EXCELLENT! One is better that none.
  • ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks for the welcome MissMay. I did have more than planned last night and I see how different I feel today than yesterday. Need to keep working on sticking to my plan. I appreciate this thread.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    ducky133 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome MissMay. I did have more than planned last night and I see how different I feel today than yesterday. Need to keep working on sticking to my plan. I appreciate this thread.

Keep focused you will get there just roll with the ups and downs.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    I looked back at my 2018 calander that I keep for tracking on here. I am better this present day August, than last August at this time. Under the talley by 2 standard size drinks for the beginning of August. Not an earth shaking news event....but one that keeps me honest with myself and accountable for what I put in my mouth.

Had similar epiphany last night. On my tally for August I have 7 days AF so far out of 15. In both June and July I had a total of 7 days each month. Out of 30 and 31 days. Months prior to that weren’t much higher.

Still not ready to formally commit to a set number of AF days per week or per month but buckling down on a number of fronts in August should yield some benefits that hopefully carry through into the fall and winter months.
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Let's just blame it on the full moon... B)

Day 16 AF.
    Also counting the calories and $$ saved by switching to AF beer instead of Chianti. And the more productive early morning hours. Even if they are just spent watching deer and listening to the birds squabbling outside.

Maybe I'll dust off my Bluegrass CDs to replace Cable News [MY "trigger"] ??
  • MissMay
    Oh that darn moon again making us all crazy. Thanks @forestdweller1 for reminding us. Happy 16th AF. Love saving those green backs too.