WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    (((Debby in VA))) I do not see how you do all you do! I hope your husband will be more understanding about the fact that you have too much of a load on you.

Cleaning: My house was a lot cleaner when I was working because it all had to be done on the weekend and in the summer. I never had a cleaning service or yard help. Now, I have the yard done and only do the bare cleaning when the spirit moves me!

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    After going to the Cat Cafe and Cold Rock, we came home and I walked briskly for a full hour:

Distance: 5.78km
    Elapsed Time: 1:01:37
    Pace: 10:40/km

Plus there was about a kilometre of walking to the Cat Cafe and Cold Rock and back to where we parked. :)

Annual Walking Totals - to August 25

2015 - 670.8 km
    2016 - 670.2 km
    2017 - 739.1 km
    2018 - 860.1 km
    2019 - 687.7 km

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Machka - I was wondering if you and your DH still visited the Cat Café. What a neat way to get some purring therapy in, lol. Happy Anniversary!

Kelly
    - (((HUGS)))

Heather - your story about justifying a cleaner is ours as well. Hey congrats on your lottery win! How nice to have a bit extra with your cruise coming up. :)

Debby in VA
    - sorry you aren't getting the weekend off, hope your DH will think it over.

Terri - when I was decluttering, I'd do one hour at a time, one place/drawer/dresser at a time. I need to get at it again. I did manage to whittle the closet down to just about everything on hangers (my side), no more layers and boxes of clothing. Sure makes it easy to whittle down even more - if I put on something now and it doesn't fit or I don't like it, it immediately goes into the thrift shop box. Thank you for that home-storage-solutions link; good way to schedule these tasks. <3

Amber
    - I use your cleaning method often, lol. Don't have a little JR running around but between the dogs and my DH I just keep up with what I can.

Ginny - pork loin in the crockpot sounds yummy. Need to put that on the list for fall. We have been getting real chilly nights - mid to high 40's. Daytime highs will ramp up into the 90's here in in SW WA State this coming Tuesday and Wednesday.

Vicki
    - I saw that Grand Island has set a record for rainfall in August! Hope the fair doesn't get washed out.

Allie
    - I wore contacts for years, when I was younger. I wouldn't go back to them anymore. I have chronically dry eyes so not enough tears to keep them floating, plus allergies and allergy meds and staring at computer screens (not blinking enough). You might give them a try though, I think they are much less expensive than when I was wearing them decades ago.

Another early morning... old dog came into the bedroom and woke me up at 2:30 this morning. Another accident on the little kitchen carpet, not as bad as a couple nights ago and easy to clean up. I remembered I had a bottle of doggie anti-diarrhea medicine, so gave her a dose of that. At least she's feeling better otherwise, playing and appetite coming back. Never did make an appointment with vet, DH may have to take care of that this coming week.

That's it for now. Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    The henna in my hair is lovely, thanks! It is a lively bright color yet still looks natural with my pale skin. Makes people ask if I am Irish.
    I am getting to the end of my Labor Day challenge and hoping the scale fluctuations will be in my favor. It's going to be close!
    I went to a Renaissance festival yesterday with my boyfriend. Lots of walking. My hip is sore today. Wish I was young!
    Annie in Delaware
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Allie ~ I tried to wear contacts in my 40's but never could adjust to them. Can't now because I have both astigmatism and farsightedness. Have you considered laser surgery? I am hoping when my cataracts get bad enough I can have new lenses put in. My mom could see everything even at age 91.

Carol in GA
  • SandraHurlburt
    SandraHurlburt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes taking a break and being still and reading your Bible will give you not only rest but insight.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Debby: It’s great to know that your good man appreciates you. Your family have had so much to deal with lately, and faith is a great comfort.
    Lisa: Our grass is growing so fast it’s hard to keep up with it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: I’m sorry you’re disappointed with your haircut. Thankfully, it will grow and you can go to a different stylist next time. :ohwell: I agree with others that your hair looks good. Your opinion is the one that matters most. :star:

Rori: We were unhappy with the size of our freezer and bought another, larger one. The original idea was to donate the too small freezer but we ended up keeping both. None of our cars has ever been parked inside our garage. :embarassed:

Beth near Buffalo: We live in an area that is not salted in the wintertime. Thanks goodness! It snows some years, and very few people know how to drive in it. Schools are usually closed if there is snow. :ohwell:

(((Debby in VA)))

Connie in KY: Congrats on your weight loss success! :bigsmile:

Heather: Congrats on your lottery win! :smiley:

M in OZ: Happy Anniversary!!! :heart: We also do our own laundry. We have cleaners come every other week to vacuum, dust, and so forth. It helps. This morning I noticed that the windows need to be washed. That is not part of their regular duties. We’ll either take it on ourselves or have them do windows in place of the usual housecleaning. :ohwell:

KJ: So sorry to hear about your allergies. I hope you’re feeling better soon. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I’m sorry that your old dog is having accidents. :sad:

I continue to be torn about going to see DD and my grandchildren. I want to go, but I’m reluctant to leave DH at home on his own. He will not fly. He will not drive. He will not do anything to compromise other than drive me to the airport and pick me up when I get back. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    happy Anniversary, Machka - that cat cafe looks fun!

I was just sitting here reading about everyone's various projects, pantries, decluttering, etc. My current project is finding all my photos (from when we actually printed those things), then editing (ie: throwing away some), sorting by approximate date -- all in order to send them off to be scanned. I am SO HAPPY to have found a scanning service; you pay a flat fee, they send you a prepaid box to put a maximum number of photos in, you send it in the post and they return it to you in a couple weeks. I didn't think this would be so emotional. I am dealing with photos of people I have cut out of my life (abuse, divorce, toxic relationships) and I guess I just didn't think of that. I sorta thought it would be nostalgic and fun. In any case, it's been interesting and I can't do it for long periods because I become morose. But after "editing" (ie. throwing away) various photos, it's actually very freeing, too. After starting out doing it for a couple hours, I am down to doing it for 10 minutes at a time. It is great to split up a task in minutes. As someone said, it is amazing what you can get done in that short a time -- and best of all, it doesn't seem as overwhelming.

Having a good Sunday morning here, although I sure was up early. Hydro went off at 5:20am for scheduled maintenance and it woke me up and kept me up, as my sound machine stopped. I'm going to have to take a nap at some point today. I'll never make it to my normal bedtime. Have a great Sunday, ladies!

-Shannon in Ontario Canada
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    DH has been ill. He was given some new meds and I think that is what is happening. I hope that is all it is. He has surgeon appointment tomorrow to set up hernia operation time.

Me, I’m working on my bowel issues. Colonoscopy scheduled for second week in September.

Only 1.5 pounds to my first goals of getting into normal BMI! Happy about this. Been about 30 years since I’ve been in the normal range. This has been a change in eating habits for us, so will continue to eat as we have been since January and let my body settle where it will. I eat when hungry and stop when full. Two things I never did before. Best habit I’ve changed to!

RV Rita

Ps. Supposed to get to 108 today and tomorrow. Not much walking these two days.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Two very good things happened this afternoon.
    Firstly I plucked up the courage to open my (new?) laptop that I bought two years ago and have opened twice and shut it again. I managed to get into it! It decided to update and I could make no sense of it all. It's Windows 10, which I have never used. I did get through to my emails, after jumping through many hoops, but everything wants passwords and updates and keeps telling me abut bells and whistles I dont need or want. I can't afford to buy Word again, which is what I bought the laptop for. My old laptop has 2003, which is perfectly fine for me, but I don't know how to put it on this one. I should be able to use it on three machines for nothing. I'm not going to pay monthly for something fancy. I only bought it to type out my memoir as my old steam driven laptop was driving me crazy.
    Grrrrrrrrrr!
    But at least I managed to get it out of the cupboard, even though it's still driving me nuts!

The second thing was that England won the third match of the Ashes by a miracle! Poor DH could hardly bear it. It was sooooooooooooo close! I had to revive him with a Pernod! Now the series is drawn with two matches to go.
    I don't follow sport as I can't bear the heartbreak and tension. I can't see why I should give away my peace of mind to something I have no control over and people I have never met.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)<3Shannon, sorting through photos is enormously stressful. My husband worked together a few years ago to go thorough all our photos and put the ones to save in a box and throw out the rest. We left them in the box for a few years until I was ready to scan and label them to save on the computer. It was so stressful, that I could do only 5-10 photos in a session. I did that daily for a very long time.

:)<3Katla, If I were you, I would make reservations to fly to see your kids and get going before your husband changes his mind. Ask a few friends to casually check in with him while you're gone, do a big grocery shopping so he has lots of food choices, and go and have a great time.

<3Heather, One of my favorite rules of adulthood is "What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa". Be glad your husband likes his sports and stay as far away from them as you can.

:) Jake is trying a new bread recipe with many grains and chopped pecans. I'm going for a walk with my Texas friend who gave him the pecans. I don't want to bake bread and he doesn't want to go for a walk so we are both happy doing what we like to do.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948Peachy
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Heather ~ I use two free programs for word processing and spread sheets:
    1) WPS Office
    2) SoftMaker Free Office 2018

I use the free versions but I think you can get bells and whistles by paying a price.

Carol in GA