WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's not easy finding an anniversary card for someone who has a brain injury!

Most of the cards go on about memories and how the person is the same as when we met and how life has been wonderful and lovely and everything has gone as hoped and planned.

Then, when I saw this one ... it fit. It simply says ...

<3

Love you then.
    Love you still.
    Always have.
    Always will.

<3

This sentiment is perfect. I will be passing it along to my husband. Thank you for sharing.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    well its 2 am here and have been up since 12:30am hello. im gonna be tired later.. but oh well I am up and dressed and having my tea early.. it is great sleeping weather have the windows wide open and got some sweats on.. Fall is coming..
    gonna leave in a couple hours to go watch the hot air balloons go up should be fun..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Katla--Hugs
    Meg--Sounds pretty scary to me. Pray you feel better soon.

Machka--Happy Anniversary!

I am so happy it is Friday. Today the State Fair starts here in town. Big deal as it's 150 years. Last couple days we have had over 4 inches of rain with chance of more all weekend. So they want people to park at one of the WalMarts or Mall and take the bus out. We have done that last several years as they pick you up, drop you off at the gate and pick you there and take you to your car. We don't plan to go until next Thursday as taking 2 of the DGD's to the christian concert that evening. That's enough for me.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3

Vicki GI I didn't realize the Nebraska State Fair had been moved to GI, but I see it's been there since 2010! The Nebraska State Fair used to be one of the best state fairs in the nation. Is it still? Since GI hosts the State Fair, has your County Fair suffered? Chase County Fair is always awesome, but I haven't been for years. xoxo

Karen in Virginia who was born & raised in Nebraska

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    When we moved house last October we did a huge clear out of stuff, including pantry. Unfortunately this house has a lot of storage! I have been gradually whittling down the still huge amount we brought with us, but there still seems to be masses. I'm glad we didn't get the second house we made an offer on as the kitchen had no storage. Here we have a utility room with a pull out wire shelf and loads of other shelves. The kitchen has masses of cupboards with another pull out rack for spices.
    I am a very keen cook, so I gather a lot of ingredients. I am good about only buying one new one when the last one is opened though. I am aiming to trim down all the tiny bottles and sachets.
    What I would like is more freezer space. At our old house we had an enormous freezer in the kitchen and a smaller one in the garage. Now we have a small one in the utility room and a tiny one in the kitchen. Definitely not enough space for batch cooking etc.
    I've been looking on Freecycle for a second hand one, that could go in the garage.
    The good thing about living here is that I don't need a freezer for every day stuff, but I do like to prepare food ahead for entertaining and I haven't really got the room to do much. As I'm trying to live a more minimalist life it feels a bit wrong to be looking for more storage. Part of me really wants to cut back and simplify. Less of everything.

Going to be HOT here today and over the bank holiday. Not my cup of tea. :s We are going to have a charcoal bbq to cook the tandoori chicken kebabs though. I will pull the last pack of my brown rice, lentil and quinoa mix out of the freezer to make a salad.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    How are yous?

I saw there were a couple of questions I somehow missed. I regularly feel guilty about not being able to read all, since some of you seem to read everything and answer so abundantly. Such a successful thread.
    But not useful to get down on myself I think on such a thread, so, my apologies if I missed some. I do my best, for sure.

I started hiking went quite far the 2nd day when I was warming up and tore a meniscus slightly on day 2 and/or 3.

Had to stop my hiking trip, but ended up in this lovely hotel at 15 euros a night !! for almost a week. I made a side trip to Lourdes,for a night only 1H20 bus and 8 min train ride away. I'm not religious, and not at all Catholic, but wanted to visit for one time, as a sort of historical cultural place to see. VERY crowded at lourdes and VERY commercial. I went to the baths (cause why not) and the people there were very sweet. Though the lady behind me in line was quite the prosceletizying, ostentatious believer (not my cup of tea). The evening procession to lamplight with singing was somewhat beautiful. Someone had said on facebook that Lourdes reminded them of Las Vegas. Inside the large sanctuary enormous candles can be acquired for recommended prices (competition to see who can have the biggest seemed inherent : most money = longest, thickest candle up to 2 meters I think. Outside surrounding the sanctuary there is shop after shop after shop, on street after street w neon lights and little virgin Marys and so on. I got nothing and had lunch in an awesome Tibetan restaurant.

Got an MRI this morning and the MRI doctor said I have a very small tear and inoperable, it's in the zone that can't recover (not enough vascularity) and there is no floating-type part that needs to be removed. Also I read that at my age it's considered more degenerative and surgery is more often not useful (in most cases at least) anyway.

Not sure what the recovery path is. The doctor I went to in the countryside when away was really good. he's the doctor of the firefighters and made a quick, accurate diagnosis. My old GP stopped a year or two ago. He was really good. He had the most amazingly messy looking office imaginable, with enormous piles of papers everywhere but when I came he would always take out my file with every thing in it from 10 years back and remember this and that, and would spend up to an hour or more with each patient if need be, giving time to see everything imaginable, discussing alternatives, at lowest rate of 25 euros (reimbursed by health care+ complementary insurance) per appointment (most doctors are expected to see people for 15 minutes at that rate and many charge more or see people for 5 minutes.) He was regularly very late, often an hour after appointment time, so I'd either make a first appointment in the day or be sure to bring plenty of reading or my laptop or something to do. Great listener, empowering, would prescribe tests if requested and reasonable, and explain things and look things up and ask me to call him back to give him news if sick (which I thought he was being too Nice to ask for so I didn't usually do) saying he would be thinking of my health. I'm pretty sure he did that with many people if not everyone. he would take calls during appointments and try to sort things out with a patient in a pinch and so on.

Late and unreasonably messy, but otherwise great. He was over 70 apparently and his early replacement said he had family issues and was not sure to start back up again. It was good to have had such a GP. I went to a nearby replacement one, but she tends to minimise most things. I tried another and he's a bit more involved but rather expéditive and says things like, "my poor woman", "ma pauvre" when I have a knee problem. That almost makes me flinch, but he's about 10 years older and presumably unaware. He's a bit full of himself, but with some insistance on my side he prescribed the MRI. The replacement of the lady GP did not prescribe an MRI when I asked him to, said he would prescribe an x-ray whereas an x-ray is useless for meniscus tear and we know I don't have a broken bone. I also asked if he could prescribe a bone density test (not expensive here) but he said no not unless I have broken bones. But I looked up the government recommendations and since my mom had osteoporosis and am post menopause I fulfill conditions for getting bone density test.

In short, I lost a great GP and haven't found a great replacement, but am managing.

MRI is between 70 and 300 euros here. 70 is reimbursed. the one I got today is apparently reimbursed. It often takes weeks to a month to get an appointment, so I was luck to get this one in a few days. August may help.

I was getting at ease and being comfortable at being at highest end of recommended BMI as my GP (the woman) recommended, developing appreciation for my new curvier-ness, but all that I read on meniscus tears says being at an "ideal" weight is recommended. (which I assume is mid BMI, not the very highest of BMI).

I've been avoiding exercise these past 12 days due to probable but unconfirmed torn-meniscus diagnosis. At present, I'm not totally sure how much I exercise I can do ; can I walk? can I go to the gym? stretching ? yoga.? biking. I just know long hikes is a no-no for this summer.
    The good doctor in the country said to let my pain be my guide.

I had previously been undecided between a quiet immobile vacation and a hike. I went for the hike but the immobile vacation took over and canceled the hiking one.

I'm annoyed at myself for having pushed myself a bit too much the 2nd day. Now I have a life-long tear due to that.Well I guess I'll take it as a learning experience. I'm supposed to do physiotherapy sessions and strengthen legs and core to avoid more tearing if I understand the web correctly. Work to stay in shape as I/we age!

August goals update.

HEALTH :

Thoughts
    1. Write what I'm grateful for daily, here or elsewhere SOME
    2. Five minutes meditation 4 days a week SOME
    3. Write feelings here or somewhere SOME

Movement
    5. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week TIL KNEE TEAR, still walking a fair bit.
    6. Go to gym 2x a week TIL KNEE TEAR
    7. Use city bike 1x NO I NEED TO CANCEL THE SUBSCRIPTION I THINK

Eating
    8. Track all NO
    9. average less than 100 carbs per day NO
    10. Take measurements 1x NOT YET
    11. Eat fresh leafy greens 2x a week NOT SURE

Eating and movement
    13. Lose a kilo (from average 59.13 over past 7 days on Aug 1) NOT YET

LONG TERM WRITING
    12. 15 min a day NO
    13. Produce at least 1 rough page per day NO

HOME
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning WHEN HOME YES

HOME AND PAPER
    15. 15 min/day paperwork most days NO

PAPER
    17. taxes done NO
    18. pay 1 bill per week SOME

remaining from may see dentist 2

Grateful:
    reasonably/moderately priced health care
    knee tear is not so big and doesn't require surgery
    got quite a quick MRI
    sunny day, lovely weather
    fun moment yesterday
    home in better shape than a few days ago
    did some breathing exercise/focus in the wee hours when I woke up at around 5ish.
    organic supermarkets not-too-expensive, across the street,
    my purple linen dress is holding out well and still fits
    comfy pretty flat sandals
    flipflops on vacation
    color
    blueberries
    buckwheat
    tofu
    gluten-free, sugar-free tasty cereal
    vitamins (if they work, not sure)
    very hardy houseplants, manage to survive with little care and water
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sarah from NC- You have joined by posting! Remember to bookmark the page (the blank star on the same line as the 50+ title)
    bananasandoranges- (Why can't I remember your name?) Meniscus tears are the PITS! I had been battling with mine since last fall. Due to my job of chasing children and being constantly on my feet and moving, it made recovery extremely slow. A knee brace. I can't say enough about wearing a knee brace to give your knee the extra support to stay still so that the tear can heal. If walking doesn't make your knee hurt, do that; but do it in easy segments. Like maybe a half mile or mile at a time. A lot of regular exercises can be modified for your injury. Lots of videos on youtube. Swimming is generally good for most injuries, but for a torn meniscus, I would stay away from swimming for a few weeks. If you sit with your legs in a pool and can control the movement, that would probably help strengthen; but to get in and swim...the problem is the constant variation of the currents in the water will move your knee in directions that might make the tear worse. At least until the tear heals (about 6-8 weeks for normal people). DEFINITELY see a good doc and take his advice over mine (Dr. KJ).

Well, cooler weather is here (at least in the mornings and evenings) and it looks like my fall allergies are here, as well. I have felt a little off for the past couple of days and have been chalking it up to late night calls from my daughter. I am heading out to get my shopping done and will be adding allergy meds to my list of things I need. I think, other than getting the shopping done and the lawn mowed, the only other thing I am going to do this weekend is undecorate from Space Week and decorate for Monday (Valentine's Day). Holiday Week, next week. ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ❤️Machka-Happy Anniversary!!!!!!
    ❤️Amber-my home sometimes looks like yours!!😃I hope all you wonderful ladies have a fantastic weekend.Prayers,hugs,love❤️and so much gratitude for y’all!!💐💐
    Debby In Va
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    M – happy anniversary. Do you have any special plans after dinner?

Michele in NC

Plans ...

We will exercise this afternoon! It's supposed to pour rain shortly, so that will be in our little home gym. In the past we've often celebrated our anniversaries by cycling a long distance.

Dinner in a restaurant will take it out of my husband. So we'll come home and since it is Saturday and right now they're playing Columbo Saturday evenings, we'll watch that. I'll likely do some homework while watching TV. I can't just watch TV.

Earlier today I listened to most of the lecture I missed earlier today, and did some computer work.

Then ...

Walking, 9 mins per km, very brisk pace -- 20 min
    Bicycling, 16-19 kph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding) -- 40 min

That was a combination of walking and running on the treadmill and my new HRM works! The bicycling was on my trainer with Zwift ... indoor cycling.

Then ...

We attempted to go out for dinner! We drove into town to the place we usually go for special occasions but they were booked solid. They aren't usually at 6 pm, but they said this was unusual. So back out to our area (in the suddenly pouring rain!) to our second choice on the beach. But as we drove past, we saw that it was packed too. Onward to the third choice ... our favourite Indian restaurant. It was open and had room, but they'd had an awful day with machines/equipment breaking down so we had kind of a mixed dinner there and got to try a few different things. It ended well!

By then we were both tired and it was 8 pm ... so we came home.

And Columbo? Today it's not on. So we're watching a James Bond instead ... better, I think. :)

10 pm, and my husband will be heading to bed shortly. He's been up since about 8:30 with only one short nap.

And meanwhile ... 22 mm of rain in 4 hours.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    bananasandoranges- (Why can't I remember your name?) Meniscus tears are the PITS! I had been battling with mine since last fall. Due to my job of chasing children and being constantly on my feet and moving, it made recovery extremely slow. A knee brace. I can't say enough about wearing a knee brace to give your knee the extra support to stay still so that the tear can heal. If walking doesn't make your knee hurt, do that; but do it in easy segments. Like maybe a half mile or mile at a time. A lot of regular exercises can be modified for your injury. Lots of videos on youtube. Swimming is generally good for most injuries, but for a torn meniscus, I would stay away from swimming for a few weeks. If you sit with your legs in a pool and can control the movement, that would probably help strengthen; but to get in and swim...the problem is the constant variation of the currents in the water will move your knee in directions that might make the tear worse. At least until the tear heals (about 6-8 weeks for normal people). DEFINITELY see a good doc and take his advice over mine (Dr. KJ).

Well, cooler weather is here (at least in the mornings and evenings) and it looks like my fall allergies are here, as well. I have felt a little off for the past couple of days and have been chalking it up to late night calls from my daughter. I am heading out to get my shopping done and will be adding allergy meds to my list of things I need. I think, other than getting the shopping done and the lawn mowed, the only other thing I am going to do this weekend is undecorate from Space Week and decorate for Monday (Valentine's Day). Holiday Week, next week. ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Kelly my sympathies for your allergy. I get them some in the spring, not too bad this year, being in the city.
    Thanks for your experienced knee input! Awesome to have some good advice. I asked the "good doctor" about a brace and he said he didn't think it necessary but gave me a prescription for it just the same, at my request (just in case). I googled and most sites don't recommend them, saying the knee is stable enough. but they also don't talk about recovery time or talk about a few days!!! so it's great to have your input. It's been 2 weeks almost for me and I don't see that I'm all better yet, and don't feel like it's gonna be 100% tomorrow.. little walks feel good. I figured I could do arm and core and back and weight training at the gym while I'm waiting. gentle segments walking sounds right intuitively. when I walk a little and slow it seems fine and good. slightly long walks not so much. I did try the pool last week and just a few ambling laps and it didn't feel great, so you seem to be on track with that. Just floating is probably good. what sort of tear did/do you have? it's still not healed after a year. The MRI doctor, very expeditive, said quickly that mine would not totally heal, but would get better. that jives more or less with what I've read. if in internal (I think) part and if not operated it generally doesn't go back to how it was before and will never be as strong as before, they say. I think my bones are getting older and tireder and I have to take care. both my parents had to use canes, my mom (who had osteoporosis) from around 41 to 75 (in wheelchair at end for other thing) after a bad ankle misstep that broke her ankle in 3 places, and my dad from 65 to 79 after slam dunk and broken hip. I've thus avoided hard sports, for a long time, sports with common falls and micro-fractures, (skiing, skydiving, horse riding) wanting to protect my ability to walk preciously. I'll consider it a yellow/orange alert and take more care;

I did jog a bit (never marathons or 5ks) over the past 8 years and had to give that up last year. I would go 25-45 min a few times a week at most.

I do get around by scooter since I work in 3 places and It just takes less time and energy, and that does make for more risky use especially of lower limbs, even if I drive rather slowly and rather carefully.

I rode my scooter 2 short trips when I got back and it didn't feel right. felt like I should stay off it for A little while, that a little shock would be bad for the knee at present.

I probably need to get more protective scooter wear, kind of a pain to take on and off for working 2h here and 3h there, and an investment too, but I guess I need to bite the bullet...
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Julie ~ I had torn meniscus surgery as an outpatient on both knees. It helped a lot for a number of years before the arthritis became too much. I finally had knee replacement surgery in April and am able to walk a lot better.

Carol in GA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Julie: Good to see you post again. Sorry that your knee is giving trouble. Both DH and I have meniscus problems. Walking is fine so long as you take it at a moderate pace and don’t go too mad.