WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sarah from NC: Welcome to a great group. Some of us have been here for several years and others, like you, are new. We refer to this as a thread. We try to give one another support and encouragement. :flowerforyou:

Heather: We have a good amount of storage in our house, too. Our garage is full of toys, tools, and freezers. We also have a storage unit elsewhere that holds the RV, 2 boats, and other items. We have too much stuff and are unlikely to do much about it in the foreseeable future. :embarassed:

Machka: 22 mm of rain in 4 hours sounds like a deluge. I hope you were dry and safe. :star:

We’re still both at home with no specific travel plans as yet. DH wants to take me to the Portland airport and put me on a jet to Illinois. I want to see the grandchildren and he doesn’t want to be in a jet. I don’t like being in a jet, either, but driving the RV would cost a great deal more. I’m still sad that we won’t be taking the RV to see the kids—it would be a great adventure in my mind, but likely much more costly than flying and potentially exhausting. I’m not enthused about leaving DH at home on his own. We will eventually figure this all out.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol I don't see the new photo of your hair.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Karen ~ The photo I took her is the one you see above 1948Peachy.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Karen- I like the haircut in your profile picture It makes you look younger. I like simple haircuts that are brush y go myself. Faster the better so I have more time to worry about clothes y jewelry instead of hair. Lol 😂 I’m the one who spends 5minutes to get dressed before JR now being slower same routine just 20minutes or longer to complete. Hubby takes hours! I need the extra time to get JR y diaper bags ready enough extras to look like we’re moving in wherever we go!

Amber Tx

Brunch- Tortilla 1,Pork y beans ,onion, Gatorade zero A simple meal.
    Dinner- 4 kettle chips,lunch meat sandwich 🥪 on toasted wheat bread,light mayo, spinach leaves. If very hungry which I doubt ate a lot earlier then Swiss cheese slice.
    Snack- granola,Gatorade zero,y fudge bar 70cal dryers.
    Exercise a lot today JR wants to dance,run in circles,blow bubbles,play cars,etc been no stop mommy ready for the 1hour afternoon nap 😴!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: I’m sorry that your haircut is a disappointment. It will grow out, but I’m guessing you’ll go to a different stylist in the future. That is what I would do. :ohwell:

DH tried an experiment with our rice flour sourdough starter. The first batch after the experiment was a huge failure. He put flour in it from a gluten free baking mix that had Sorgum flour, Tapioca flour and Xanthan Gum in the mix. The sourdough didn’t like it. We’ve switched back to white rice flour and have high hopes that it will solve the problem. I also have our original heirloom sourdough starter in its own crock. It is fed on white wheat flour and whole milk. DH isn’t very happy with his experiment, but it is not going to be a long-term problem.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Barbie - Thank you for your kind words. <3 It meant a lot. After I read that I put a WANTED request on Freecycle. We will see if anything turns up! I told DH I needed more freezer space and he said he would buy me one if nothing transpires. :D I love to cook ahead and some cakes/desserts for entertaining need a lot of space. I haven't been able to make one in a while. Also batch cooking is a wonderful thing. Being limited in space does not make me happy.
    Thank you for the encouragement.

The tandoori chicken kebabs I cooked tonight sent DH into ecstasy. :D They were pretty good!

Choice between Vera and Wallander tonight. :*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Karen ~ The photo I took her is the one you see above 1948Peachy.

Carol- for what it's worth - your haircut is adorable. <3 Not a real big change! And it will grow out B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    This is the new hair cut. It makes me look like I have a mop on my head and it makes my face look so round...which it is! LOL

me.jpg 272.5K
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    .”When I was downsizing my wardrobe after losing the weight, I discovered Mari Kondo. I have been Kondo-ing ever since. It's an ongoing process, but it helps me get rid of so much of the stuff I have been hoarding 'just in case'. A lot of the clutter isn't even ours. So I have got into the habit of taking my adult daughters little surprise packages of their belongings when I have decluttered an area. They aren't always appreciative! 😂”

☘️ Terri

This brings back a memory.After telling our DDs (both married) it was time to take back their papers etc stored in our house,I decided It was past time,my house & needed to be done. With holidays coming,used a box for each.....(big enough to hold a dish washer) & filled both with framed grad certificates,sports trophys,pictures,souvenirs,uniforms etc.Wrapped as one of their gifts,big bows & all.

They were not amused,asking what are we supposed to do with this stuff?
    My reply was”anything you choose,not my problem anymore”.
    They got over it & never saw that stuff again,neither did I ask. :D

Its so freeing to not be the caregiver of some one else's stuff! I had each son go through their stuff and with the eldest son, "Mr I Have To Save All My Toys Since Birth", we rented a small storage unit nearby and paid the first couple of months. After he graduated from boot camp he put it on a automatic payment plan, then came and got it his first apartment in San Diego. The same for middle son, and presently we have a Rubbermaid box for youngest son's stuff. When he gets stateside he'll claim it. I have gone as far as going through photo albums giving pics back to family to share with their families. I mean it was nice they sent them, but we enjoyed them and now they can have them back.👍. I did middle son's photobox taking pics out of photo albums, sticking each photo on an index card with info about it. I separated his years with a divider with the years we were at a specific address, writing address on it. Just easier to organize, and my husband kept a logbook of every address we lived at. Very helpful.
    💖Rebecca
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Julie, I'm in Canada, but, yes, the Y's are very good facilities. I really like that they're not likely to close down suddenly! I hope your knee recovers, I don't have any experience in that field, but I would think a brace, even if it's just a fabric/elastic type would help to keep your knee from moving in directions it's not supposed to. And please do not feel guilty about not replying to everybody on this thread! You would never get anything else done! lol We all know that everybody has their lives to live and nobody expects anybody to reply to everything, just jump in when something grabs you!
    Machka, sounds like your anniversary turned out quite nice! That is a LOT of rain tho! Happy to hear that your HRM worked well! And the anniversary card sounds just perfect!
    Lisa, you are going to be quilting up a storm! lol
    Carol, so disappointing when the hair stylist does what she wants to do, not what you want her to do! The only consolation is that it will grow out. Something I read years ago "the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is about two weeks". I hope it works out that way for you. Just saw the pic of the new cut. It looks okay, and I suspect that in a few weeks it will look pretty close to what you want.
    Rori, so happy to hear that your brother is doing so well! Your simple lifestyle may be just what he needs to heal his body and perhaps his spirit as well.
    Terri They were not amused,asking what are we supposed to do with this stuff?
    My reply was”anything you choose,not my problem anymore”.
    They got over it & never saw that stuff again,neither did I ask
    LOL This is just perfect! I think I will be doing this to my boys in the fairly near future!
    So, yesterday my bike ride to work was really hard. I had hubby come and pick me up. When we got home we put a LOT of air in the tires and my ride to work today was really good! Yesterday it took me 55 min, today was 45!! The best (!?) part of it all was that about 10 min after arriving at work, it just started to pour! I was so glad that I was already in a building! I hadn't bothered with a jacket today so that rain would have been very unwelcome. I plan to ride home tonite, the weather seems to have cleared up quite nicely although the wind is picking up (grrrr...)
    I still really have to work on my eating, but the scale is holding steady at a slightly lower weight than has been the norm, the new norm I guess!
    Tomorrow I work from 9-5 and then there is a lacrosse game at 6pm at a venue that is very near work. We are in playoffs, this is game 5 (best of 7) and we are up 3-1. It will be a great game although if the other team starts losing they will get nasty, they're just that kind of team, it's unfortunate but..... It just makes it that much sweeter when we win! lol
    I'm finally all caught up! Hope everyone has a great day!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Carol ... you are your own worst critic. While I like your profile picture hairstyle better, the current cut also looks nice on you. As the others have mentioned, it will grow!

Rori ... I am hopeful that your brother's presence will give you more opportunities for respite with friends. Enjoy the time that he is there!

Terri ... I use the same 365 decluttering website. I seem to get stuck after the first few months. Maybe I need to start with December's missions!

Today we had the vehicles rust-proofed for the year. Living in the Buffalo area means we are exposed to excessive amounts of salt in the winter months. We've had vehicles rust out prematurely so now we use a yearly oiling process that has helped. Then we took down the remaining arborvitae in our side yard. Next step is getting the stumps flush with the ground, clearing out the small brush/weeds and hauling in several loads of dirt. I don't think we're going to get to planting shrubs this year, but we'll see.

Neither of us feels like eating much, so I'm getting ready to make small pizzas on naan bread. It will be plenty.

Beth near Buffalo

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Margaret That's such a pretty plant. I love coleus.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    Beth: I stuck with it quite well through the first year because it was doing the business. I did leave out quite a few of the tasks such as kids things for obvious reasons. Also did some of DH's closet space. (I tend to put laundry away. He puts it in the washer and hangs it out to dry). He quite liked being able to see what he had without rooting through everything.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- Wonder If our kids will end up meeting lol 😂 Daughter next station is San Diego she’s finishing up getting ready to move in a few months at a moments no notice lol.

Margaret- I love plants like that wish my yard had a bunch of them.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Ppp