WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy "According to Hoyle" Day!

"'According to Hoyle' Day is dedicated to remembering Edmond Hoyle, who passed away on today's date in 1769, and is dedicated to playing games according to the rules. 'According to Hoyle,' a phrase commonly used over the past few centuries, means to follow the correct rules or procedures for an activity or a game. ... Edmond Hoyle was a London-dwelling lawyer who spent years giving instructions on how to play games."

Rebecca - It's a shame your husband can't have his follow-up care at a place that is more convenient and comfortable for you both. Is there no way to transfer care back to OHSU?

Carol - Congratulations on the new "holes in your head!" Reminds me of a story... my mother didn't have her ears pierced until all of the kids were grown and she and Dad had both retired. As they walked out of the mall after the piercing (and by the way, they'd never have let us girls get pierced at the mall!), Dad looked down at her and said, "How long will they drip like that?" He was kidding, of course, his dry wit at the forefront, but it made Mom grab her ears and squeal. Thank you for the smile - I miss them both so much!

Amber - Will your local fire station help you check the fit on the carseat? I think they do that here, and it might be a good idea since JR is on the line. Just to have them look it over.

Bananas - Sorry to hear about the meniscus tear but it's great that you have a non-surgical option.

Machka - Unbelievable! Sounds like the insurance companies are basically saying he's a prisoner until he's off Workers Comp. They need to have some process for making a distinction between an acute injury that has a clear timeline for healing versus a brain injury that is unpredictable. That is ridiculous!

Penny - A thousand miles!?! That is amazing! Congratulations!

dcolander - Welcome to the group! Have you always been a runner?

Well, today is the beginning of my weekend, so we'll see if I stay on track better than I have been. We do have an event to attend Saturday so that may affect my calorie intake, but hopefully I'll be active enough to offset it. Either that or I'll sweat it off from spending the day outdoors in sweltering weather.

Whether you play by Hoyle's rules or strike out on your own, I'm wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

-Yvonne in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lannette sorry about the adhesive allergy—worse than healing from the stitches :s My Rachel is a college senior (just like Beth’s DYS if I am remembering that correctly).

One thing I like about the school year—I have more auto pilot meal prep that I stick to because it works! Breakfast is either oatmeal, smoothie or piece of fruit, lunch is either salad with protein, lentil soup or wrap and dinner is whatever I’m not too tired to throw together! It is a habit that works for me—I’ve no energy to get creative.

As always the school year has started with plenty of changes ahead. I spent a good deal of time today speaking with a young colleague about choices and her future plans (she wants to leave my school) it made me feel good to really listen, not fix, just listen, not tell her what to do, just relay back what I was hearing. She sent me a very touching text later thanking me, so very sweet. I’m glad I was there to listen!!

NYKAREN
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yvonne Tx- I had Officer check Daughters back in the day. JR baffles them they get confused on the laws for him told us ask the DMV.DMV took a awhile mailed us the employee handbook lol 😂. The DMV said do our best get biggest we can car seats 💺 move up as needed then early seat belt. We have gone through 4car seats out grown so far. I just read away hope I’m right. I trained him since 6months to sit on the potty in case we couldn’t get bigger diapers by the time he’s older. Figuring it out but not easy. We have the big boy love seat version the documentary I posted talked about lol we can’t get up easy but JR loves them will have to keep buying them. He out grows the belts in car seats to stroller fast they won’t buckle all of a sudden we have to move up or backs too small or weight too low for him.We have to pass it on being new still we like someone to get their money worth.

At the moment eating up stuff in the freezer to make room for better items. Got JRs grow with you fisher price basketball hoop adjusted for his new height (only 2notches left after that. My Uncle assembled a 9ft basket ball hoop for JR (he did the same for my 1st cousin who was smaller than JR . Him y his 2 boys are 6”4 range). He will be driving 6hours to deliver it to my other Uncles home we’re driving 1 hour to meet him there. (7hours we took 1 hour off). Then hubby has to install it lol 😂) Worth it he can’t put grow this one! Still looking for Christmas items so far no luck on big items but so far got a bigger Pooh Bear for him to hold y a few tiny items like bendable Superman. On my 3rd day drench through the clothes Peri-Period glad I didn’t have these my 1st time around don’t see how working Women do it!

Amber Tx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    LuciBThinner-that is a great thing about some of the larger schools-you can get a great education and many valuable experiences. I didn’t go to OSU as an undergrad because I was intimidated by its size. I found it a great place for my doctoral work. I became one of the graduate teaching assistants I didn’t want to be taught by! Glad surgery went well.

Bananasandorganges-lots of carbs (especially the refined, sugary kind) make me tired. I try to stay away from them until later in the day. I also notice that lots of refined sugars will make my joints ache.

Lanette-some of the surgical tapes bother me too.

Get blood work results from doctor tomorrow. It wasn’t bad in March, but cholesterol was starting to creep up. Hope it is knocked back. Blood pressure is back into normal range (amazing what 15-20 lbs. less can do). Sugar has typically never been an issue. Will see how my cancer marker is doing. It is doing a slow creep upward. They removed tumor they could find last summer (I have had thyroid cancer since 1996). Want to see if weight loss has any impact on my suppression level. Will talk to him about weight since I have a hard time seeing anything but where I was 80 pounds ago (although that is getting better). Switched to maintenance calories this week, but still running a small deficit.

Have retirement farewell at work tomorrow and fully intend to eat a piece of the cake I am buying for it!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did an advanced strength DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout on the bosu

Karen VA – I’m very impressed with all you do for your grandson

LucyNC – I don’t think it’s illegal to LOOK at the football guys. Looking I think is OK. It’s acting that’s a no-no. Good luck on your surgery. I tell you, Vince was SCARED when they did the first eye. And I do mean scared. When they took the bandages off, the first thing he said was “when can we do the other eye?” I know the same will go for you

Heather – congrats! Knew you could do it

Last night one of the ladies at ceramics said to give Vince a message from her. Tell him “I’m sorry you’re having a shi**y day”

Speaking of not being able to drive – has anyone heard from Lenora?

Teri – awesome quilt. I x-stitched a quilt, it literally took me YEARS to do it. I didn’t want to screw it up with the quilting (I’m not good) so I’m having someone else quilt it for me. I hand quilted something a while ago and we used the backing material for the binding. The lady told me that I needed a binding. I was wondering if you needed a special binding because it was machine quilted.

Penny – it’s so good to see you. Hope you stop in more often. Thanks, Heather, for “pushing” her

Dcolander – welcome! It takes a bit to learn the app, but once you do, you’ll love it

Heather – one week while I was exercising after taking my Actonel, I started to feel a bit faint. So what I do now is take something with me (a bran muffin, maybe some fruit) and I’ll have that after the ½ hr. Actually, I’m thinking I’ll change the day of the Actonel to the day when I go to the water class since I don’t exercise before the class but I’m up early any way. So that’ll solve the problem

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    ajp9npz1zdlt.jpeg
    8yvzyy6phzya.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

what a difference in riding my winter bike, i feel so much slower... bike in the shop getting tuned up for the upcoming ride
    also need to change the battery on my heart rate monitor

bike ride hm 2 gym, windy- 8.05min, 11.5amph, 125mhr, 1.55mi= 91c
    apple watch- 61c
    ROWING MACHINE- 15min, 46aw, 110mhr, 2307meters= didn't record right
    apple watch- 108c
    Floor exercises- 27.28min, 96mhr, 4sets of 15ea, 5 different exer, 4 standing sets of 15ea w/5#weights, 15ea= didn't record right
    apple watch- 141c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.14min, 16.5amph, 131mhr, 1.44mi= 59c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 13.19min, 13.6amph, 143mhr, 3.01mi= 142c
    apple watch- 113c
    jog station 2 wrk- 4.54min, 145mhr, 9.50in mi, .49mi= 55c
    apple watch- 63c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.12min, 9.29minmi, 151mhr, .44mi= 67c
    apple watch- 62c
    bike ride dome 2 hm windy n sprinkles- 18.35min, 8.2amph, 155mhr, 2.53mi= 203c
    apple watch-145c

total cal 866
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    -Yvonne in TX. We transferred him to University of Washington medical center because its 2 hrs one way. OHSU in Oregon is 6+ hours one way. So not doable, even though we like them better. Plus our normal staying at Lee's family isn't doable because his mom has moved into a smaller place. Our middle son's place is out because of my husband's aversion to dig hair.

We are planning on a visit with middle son, DIL, and Athena some time in September. We will be staying at some hotel nearby Fri/ Sat night. My plan to stay with them on my own Sunday night and either Monday or Tues taking Amtrak Portland to Shelby Montana to visit with eldest sister and her husband. I'm excited about that! Its a 17 hr train 🚆 trip, but at least I am not in a grungy bus station. 👍
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    <3 Passed PALS recertification. 98%. Exhausted.

Great to hear from Penny.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind/encouraging words re: learning coach for grandson.

Nite nite

Karen in Virginia

Congratulations!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Machka - Unbelievable! Sounds like the insurance companies are basically saying he's a prisoner until he's off Workers Comp. They need to have some process for making a distinction between an acute injury that has a clear timeline for healing versus a brain injury that is unpredictable. That is ridiculous!

-Yvonne in TX

They prefer when people fit into their boxes. But yes, it does feel a little bit as if he is a prisoner. Funny you should post that about 'According to Hoyle,' ... we're required to follow the correct rules and procedures here ... or else.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    DH is very annoyed that he can't download photos off his emails onto his Samsung phone. ;) I Googled it for him,but he is not any wiser. I'm sure there must be a way! On my Sony phone it is super easy and on my Samsung tablet also. It looks as if a lot of people have the same problem with their Samsung phones. Do any of you have a Samsung phone and can help?

Much love Heather UK xxxxxxx, who is going to watch a Wallander DVD tonight. :D

What is he trying to do?

If I've received a photo from an email, I download it onto my laptop, then copy it onto my phone.

If I've take a photo with my phone and want to put it into an email, I copy it from the phone onto my laptop, and attach it to the email there.

M in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    🍁
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Jake fixed lunch today that was a salad with tomato, spinach, and cucumber from his raised bed garden along with a slice of the whole grain pecan bread that he baked topped with butter and goat cheese. Not especially low calorie but healthy and made with his homemade and homegrown ingredients.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Barbie Sounds heavenly! Everything fresh & delicious. Yum!