WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day Weekend to those of you in the US!

Ginny It's great that you were a TA at OSU! I didn't have TA's much in music school, but most of my friends at UofM did. Very impressed you were that talented! It IS amazing how losing weight changes BP dramatically. My BP has gone from high to normal with just 34 pounds. I knew you had thyroid trouble, but somehow had missed that you had cancer! So glad you got a good report from the doctor!!

Michele I'm excited to get the other eye done! I have some flashing and tenderness, but tonight I can read the small print at the bottom of the news with my newly repaired eye without glasses!

Barbie Nice that Jake made a yummy nutritious lunch! Also, your line dancing sounds like fun! Great way to work out and have fun at the same time!

Donna Your pictures show such an amazing healthy change! Congratulations!!

Margaret Sorry for all of the hoops you are having to jump through getting through the paperwork!

Viv Very exciting about your new kitchen! My son is a plumber, and I agree that whoever is working on the kitchen probably has a group of people they use to do the rest of the job. I know that's how the plumbers do with other professionals.

Debby So glad your daughter and grandson are with you and safe! Brings tears to my eyes that she might not be able to get her belongings from storage. I would definitely talk to the storage manager and see if she can get personal items.

Bananas Love the cat picture and story!

Machka Nice walking pictures!

Teri Such a gorgeous quilt!

Rita Adorable puppy picture! I like the t-shirt idea.

Janet So sorry to hear the news about your knee!

Vicki Sorry you have had such an exhausting week! Hope your weekend is relaxing!

I am looking forward to waking up with my eye doing even better than it is today! The improvement during today has been so significant. Incredible how quickly it is healing! After next week's surgery on the other eye, it will be so nice to not need any glasses for distance!

Luci in WNC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym, windy- 8min, 11.8amph, 130mhr, 1.57mi= 63c
    apple watch- 57c
    MANUAL TREADMILL- walk/slow jog- 35min, 125ahr, 122mhr, 1.92mi= 134c
    apple watch- 214c
    arm/chinup machine, standing crunch, chest machine- 21.37min, 115mhr, 2sets of 10ea, 3 diff machines and ball crunches, repeat 4 times= 70c?
    apple watch- 113c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.04min, 17.1amph, 135mhr, 1.44mi= 51c
    apple watch- 46c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.01min, 12amph, 146mhr, 3.01mi= 148c
    apple watch- 100c
    jog station 2 wrk- 5.13min, 149mhr, 10.23min mi, .50mi= 77c
    apple watch- 69c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.17min, 9.48min mi, 151mhr, .43mi= 58c
    apple watch- 56c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.27min,148mhr, 7.9amph, 2.55mi= 192c
    apple watch- 142c

totalcal 902
  • dcolander
    dcolander Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amber and no problem Heather..I decided to walk today 4.16 miles and chill the rest of the day. I’m was feeling a little down because I have an opportunity to landed my dream job (laboratory) but I may not be able to take it because how much they are offering..I will find out on Tuesday so it’s going to be a long holiday weekend. I have a small personal chef job so that will keep me busy. Good night and have a nice evening.
    Donna C
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Saw orthopedic surgeon yesterday because my left knee replacement has slipped. The only fix would be a complete revision (remove old replace with new) and I'm not ready for that. It's not even been four years since I had it replaced originally. He doesn't think the actual apparatus has come loose, which is good. He is sending me for a bone scan of both legs on September 10th. He said the exercise I do daily is the best thing I can do to keep the muscles strong.

Have a wonderful weekend my friends. <3

Janetr OKC

That would be so frustrating!!

But, if you get it done properly, would it allow you to be more mobile?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3:)<3
  • Machka9
    Options
    M in OZ thanks for your feedback. Yes I feel your pain. You also were trying to straighten these types of matters out with an injured husband, working, and going to school. (((Triple hug!!!)))

I wrote out the process of dealing with my situation so that is it can help one of you make the process easier it was worth ranting.

I agree with you M easier to deal with these things before the disasters strike. Like you one of my goals is to leave our estate organized and that our eldest son will be taken care of financially and in a way where he is protected. (It will be done in such a way that his assets will be protected from someone trying to take advantage of him.)

I look at getting this done as a part time job. As I work through each of these sections I am learning to expect mistakes and obstacles. I am learning to double check the experts because they don't always have the right info too. I did ask for an expert for the process I got sent the wrong forms. I failed to ask him his experience in dealing with this type of situation. Second opinions are sometimes worth while.

Two things that help me in this is to step back and breathe and then laugh at the absurdity of some of what I am asked to complete. I still shake my head when I think of the lawyer asking what if DS is in a nursing home at the before the age of 65 what do we want to have happen. This took me to a zone where I just gave him a blank look. When I do fortunately run into completing some of this with little difficulty and or finding the right person to help me I sigh with a huge sense of GRATITUDE. I also remember to profusely thank those who have tried to help me.

I also learned Follow up. follow up, follow up. Until you are sure a process is complete to your satisfaction follow up. Do not assume it is done unfortunately. I do this to prevent a nasty surprise when I am too vulnerable to deal with it.

Just found up first lawyers we dealt with failed to put our home into our trust. Lesson learned ask for paperwork and receipts!

M I now understand why you want a personal secretary to make sure these type of things do not fall through the cracks!

<3 Margaret

Yes ... the last 18 months I've been going through life with that feeling like I've forgotten something. Are all the bills up to date? Did I remember to include this or that? Should I be talking to ... ? Isn't there an appointment I'm meant to attend?

There have been moments of absurdity too ...
    • the back to work girl who wanted to re-teach my husband how to drive when he doesn't have a driver's licence ...
    • an investigator who wanted to come to the hospital and have my husband tell him what happened the day of the accident when my husband was in Post Traumatic Amnesia and didn't even know his own name ...
    • the bank I faxed (who faxes anymore ... I had to find the one fax machine in the building!) the 3-page guardianship forms to, as requested, but when I rang them several times and they kept telling me I had only sent 2 pages and had missed the most important one and they couldn't continue to talk to me. Then finally when the last guy was about to hang up, he must have flipped the pages and ... oh, wait, here it is on the back of page 1!

It's a wonder I still have my hair!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    dcolander - what shall we call you? I love your before and after pics. :D

Just got back from the doctor. My lowest ever 'white coat' BP reading! 130/78. Hooray! I used my Calm app in the waiting room and looked at pics of the grandchildren. I do take 10 mg Amlodipine. Normally the first reading is 145/84.

This morning I had to stop working on the new laptop as I was getting stressed. It was sending all my photos to One Drive and then telling me it was full up and would I like to pay? NO! I already have Dropbox. I only want One Drive for my memoir. So, do I have to delete them all manually? Grrrrrrrrrr! Grrrrrrrrrr! I didn't want my blood pressure up, so I stopped.
    I also didn't like at all the way Windows 10 has organised my photos, just in date order. All my carefully curated folders, with labels, have disappeared, so I don't know what I've got any more. I had such a good system.
    Still haven't done my docs. Hate it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Just copy and paste the photos back into the drive on your laptop. Only keep the ones that really matter in One Drive.

You can order your files any way you want in Windows 10.

Under View you've got all the options:

f79qf63cs290.png

Select Details

rwj74hwd79cc.png

Then select how you want them ordered. I have mine ordered by date in this one, but I could select any of those and it would order them ... by Type, Name, whatever.

medrfmhkzpwy.png

And if you right click on that menu bar (Name, Date, etc.), you'll get this dropdown. You can tick any of those to include them on the bar, and then drag them into the position you want. So I often drag Date Modified over for my photos ...

j8db3xbkcayx.png

Like this ...

w5jc2v5ak1i5.png

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Debby- He sounds like a jerk! I wouldn’t pay a dime to that storage guy he probably already went in y sort through stuff even with that attitude. I’d start the new Album start looking through your pictures have family do the same start fresh. Send all new baby cards with his birthdate. Cut a lick of hair trace his hand. Unless she has over $200 worth of good stuff in there better to just buy anew. Plus who knows if the abuser destroyed stuff in there ahead of time...Don’t pay until you see inside!

Craved spinach y veggies so uggghh under my calories just was in a rare veggie mood! I ate so much I’m sick yet the calories are low but met vitamin goals go figure.Try again tomorrow

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    Options
    @Machka9 what does the complied sleep system consist of?

Machka9 wrote: »
    Since I've compiled my personal "sleep system" 2 or 3 months ago, I've been sleeping so much better!! I went from feeling like I was on the edge of sleep all night or that I had spent the night running a marathon ... to deep sleeps, so deep I sleep right through my alarm about one morning each week.

Machka in Oz

I wrote a little article about it which will probably appear on my new website once I get it going ...

Sleep

I've made quite the discovery just recently.

I have been struggling with sore, red eyes especially first thing in the morning. And I've been struggling with waking up feeling like I've just cycled a century rather than sleeping.

I've tried different things ...
    -- drops in my eyes when I wake up
    -- no coffee after 5 pm
    -- chamomile tea in the evening
    -- putting on relaxing music late in the evening before bed and turning down the lights
    -- reading something relaxing before I fall asleep
    -- a sleep monitor that records what I do in the night ... maybe I do get up and ride a century! :)

The drops in the morning helped a bit, the relaxing techniques ensured I fell asleep within about 5 minutes, and the sleep monitor revealed I snore a little right at the beginning of the night but then seem to sleep all right.

The other night, I was dozing off and somewhere in between that wake and sleep state when I suddenly felt like my eyes weren't entirely closed. Then I got to wondering ... am I sleeping with my eyes slightly open? It is a thing. It does happen to some people.

One of the simplest solutions for that is to put drops in the eyes before bed and to wear an eye mask at night. So I went out and got a lightweight one. That night ... drops in the eyes, eye mask on ... and I had one of the better night's sleeps I've had in a while! Plus my eyes were less red and sore and I was less puffy around the eyes.
    I've gone to a bigger, heavier eye mask and have slept with it two nights now. So far, I like it better.

Who would have thought that a simple eye mask would make such a difference!

But there is evidence that blocking out the light can help.
    https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/earplugs-and-eye-masks-help-promote-sleep
    https://thesleepdoctor.com/2016/10/31/5-serious-medical-conditions-linked-nighttime-light-exposure/

So these are my sleep tips for creating a Cocoon of Silence and Comfort ...
    • Dim the lights about an hour before bed.
    • Quiet music
    • Chamomile tea (I prefer flavoured varieties)
    • Sleep mask
    • Headband
    • Earplugs
    • Separated beds
    • Hot water bottle
    • Nice new pjs
    • Lavender (oil or spray)

M in Oz
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,862 Member
    Options
    B)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Ok all you that get up before the rooster does, as Norwegians would say, " Good On Ya", but that's not me. I normally get up at 7 am if I need ta wash my hair, or 8 am if I dont. We were on the road at 6am this morning, got to University of Washington Medical center in 1.30 hours, great time. Home not so much, it was 3+ hours. Husband's numbers were exceptionally good. His kidney function surprised the doctor! Our exercising is helping a lot! His blood pressure was 112/72. They said his liver is kind of fatty, but it was fatty a month after installation! Not our fault we were given one like that.

Son took us out to dinner, it was husband's 59th birthday.💖. Bummed that he drove so much today. I kept him entertained though, and if I would've driven it would've been so much !Its hectic!

💖Rebecca
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies 💐💐💐!Thank y’all for the suggestions for my daughter.I will definitely tell her to be persistent with the owner.
    I grew up on a farm and have gotten up before the roosters my whole life.Even when I haven’t slept well,my brain still flips the on switch and it’s time to get up.I do enjoy my peace and coffee.Although I love summer and the heat,the most perfect time(to me)is when it snows really late or really early.I bundle up and go outside and listen to the peacefulness and enjoy the beauty
    Debby In Va
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    arg! just lost along post w lots of personals!

Here computer still acting up seriously post malware scan and quarantine and deletion. I tried deleting cookies and browsing history just now. will see what that gives

awesome news Ginny!

congratulations and hurray to all who are doing well in weight loss and other stuff and stick in there to those who are struggling with emotional or whatever eating and weight loss (like I am!)

Machka my life is always overloaded even without a handicapped spouse. I'm always struggling to keep up (not) w paperwork etc.
    It has not always been like that but has been like that for the past 4 years or so at least, partly due to weird and stressful things related to work and my attempt at getting thesis as well.
    (it's hard ! I wasn't expecting the extremely hard work stuff nor for my director to leave and the replacement director to turn out to be such a non-match. if I weren't in higher ed where it could really help I would (I think) have dropped it long ago.)

Achy left shoulder after gym yesterday (working mostly arms and shoulders due to knee issues). jeeze! this ageing is not easy. I had no idea that all this joint stuff was so commonly debilitating. I thought it was just some cases here and there. I guess many people don't talk about it to not sound old and boring. I knew my mom and dad both had accidents that made them use a cane but I thought it was just the accidents and not the fragility of old bones and difficulty fully healing.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    grateful

good work related conversation yesterday evening
    interesting work-related project that seems fun (probably not profitable, but interesting and possibly useful for future networking )
    meeting up w friend F today finally. she has a young kid and is in end of thesis too so is hard to see.
    slighly enjoying summery feeling of last day of august.
    café and expresso at said café
    slept ok last night!
    decent reasonably priced medical care here
    more optimistic feeling
    painting is ok I think
    no problem I right leg and right shoulder !
    good digestion!
    organic fruit
    fan at night to get fresh(ish) air in apartment
    feel a little bit refreshed after this summer despite the knee and other stuff
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,235 Member
    Options
    Machka - I didn't want any of my photos in OneDrive, but it just scooped them up on a default. I will have to find out how to delete them en mass, rather than individually. They are also on my hard drive, but not organised in the original folders that I labelled with holidays etc. Of course, I can create new albums, but ..... I still have lots of USB sticks to put on from earlier days going back to 2003. I will have to tell OneDrive not to automatically copy them. I already have Dropbox, so don't need it.
    Going to copy my old laptop onto a hard drive this weekend.

Katla - DH wants the photos on his phone, to show aquaintances on the move. He has now mastered screenshot, so is happier. :D
    He is having sacroiliac pain, which is a nuisance for him. He won't, of course, see anyone about it. ;)

DH 's daughter is coming down on the train from London today and we are taking her to Terre a Terre for lunch. It's an amazing vegetarian restaurant.
    I'm missing my nephew's 18th birthday for it. Quite glad about that as it would be a difficult journey.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    FOOD SHOPPING

I'm having a hard time not eating too much fruit! if I buy say 3 bananas and 3 apples and raspberries and a fig I can eat them all 24h, so the last 3 days I've been buying just for the day or 2: 2 small bananas (maybe one will make it till tomorrow), an apple, raspberries, a peach. that's not practical when I go back to busy schedule. the food shop is across the street and the people are nice but still it's 15-20 minutes from door to door at least. easy in many summer days, impossible every day in school period. we'll see then.

I hadn't had such a challenge w food since my early 30s. (I was worse then, though, liked cakes etc, more)

I'm able to freeze bread and that seems to work for now, I just take out 0-4 little slices on most days.

CLOTHES SHOPPING

I'm going by what someone long ago (true or false) said what a Bostonian approach : "wear it til it's good and worn and then do without".

I think I haven't bought a pair of paints for 3 years at least and I basically mostly wear the same 3 pairs of paints. the skirts I wear most are mostly jean type -ish cut skirts (usually not tight at all, on the lose side) of different colours, and of different materials) mostly are too tight to feel right. I can get into some of them but too snug, except possibly one. the pants are thus getting extremely worn out. I feel bad about fast fashion exploitation and wanted to go to a cheap trendy second hand shop rather than a commercial clothes shop but 1) I really don't like that kind of shopping that much as it tends to take longer to find something decent I don't love clothes shopping at present 2) it's not nearby at all, and I haven't made it there after week of good intentions.

there are fast fashion shops just near me all around (clothes like at Target, etc, cheap clothes) ; yesterday I finally went to one and got a few pairs of pants (trousers) at about 30 euros a shot. I feel bad about giving into participating for the umpteenth time to this contribution of exploitation of people and resources. but also, selfishly relieved to not have some not-very-old simple pants to wear finally. also got one light pullover sweater. couldn't find anything else for upper body that suits. my shirts are equally worn out and not-recently bought.

I really don't find my arms a prize to say the least. I used to have strong swimmers arms and now they are round and sagging. I'm ok w going out baring arms in my free time, and even at work in hot days or spring when it's hard to always have arms covered, but now w fall, hot days will be few and far between or non-existant for the next 7-8 months. I'm happy not to show of my arms to my students and colleagues to start of the new year. I need some long sleeve shirts. I have 1 or 2 that are ok for work and that's about it. I don't have a very light work jacket (linen or light cotton);

I really don't think about it much but oh, when I go to the changing room I have to look in the mirror to check.
    I am NOT happy with my belly. As of menopause (1 year after menopause) boom! gained about 3-4 kilos and largly in belly. when I was young young I had a couple rather of heavy times/moments but I was super-athletic. so it was very muscly covered w a layer, kind of smooth and round I guess, if a bit too round. now it's all mushy and not smooth and taut at all. wins worst all-time belly so far in this life for me. on the positive side my calves aside from scaly skin if you look close are smashing and very sinewy (maybe) and my legs are not bad if you don't look to close (cellulite in thighs again). In my youth I used to get big butt and especially thighs but not anymore. (too bad they weren't trendy then and are now. the fickleness of societies taste in body types makes me laugh a lot).

AGING
    I'm a bit tongue and cheek and laugh deep inside when I think and write but when I look in the mirror in the dressing room when changing, not so much! I'm sure it's partly adjusting that needs to happen, accepting ageing and continuing loss of the type of beauty that is connected to youth and partly that the weight could (age or no age) be a bit better I think. I'm not a youthful beauty cult member by any means and love ageing faces and people and so on but still it can be hard for oneself or one can be harder on oneself. I remember when I was in my mid 30s and was seeing the beginning traces of jowls and wrinkles. w my friends and sisters many of us could see our own ageing but couldn't see in others. now we can alls see it in all of us of course.

I remember at 35 a 50 year old really attractive friend that was 45 told me she saw a friend's face just sort of suddenly get old at menopause. I think there's some of that here. I don't look particularly old but I think I probably look more or less my age whereas from age 12 to about 45 I was always taken for considerably younger. not great from 12 to 25 but nice (usually) from 35 to 45. oh well! life is full of a variety of unexpected experiences to discover with any chance. I like the variety of experiences.

now I seem to be more or less caught up with my age!
    glad we are in a period when older women are seen as attractive. granted the most well-known ones almost all have major work on themselves in most cases (even the male politicians get botox etc, now commonly), but even the idea of older women is much more attractive than in the past when we were kids, it seems to me. I don't know if the French president's wife and the president's rather skilful way of managing the subject makes a difference here or elsewhere, but it doesn't hurt.

ok on to other things!

• LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Machka I love your sleep advice! Am going to try the eye mask as soon as I'm healed up! I always forget about using lavender, too. Many good suggestions!

Diana Welcome and congratulations on your re-commitment! Where do you live? Many of us sign our names with our state or country.

Rebecca So glad your husband's numbers were great! Also, that you could have dinner with your son for the birthday celebration (and that he could drive so you had a break).

Bananas "Aging is not for the faint at heart" h as taken on a whole new meaning after accidents and injuries...the body just doesn't spring back like it used to. Movement is the key though. My sister in law is an OT and has re-affirmed the fact that you have to use is or lose it. I am getting stronger than I was, but am constantly surprised with how long it takes to recover.

My eye is significantly better today - only 1.5 days post surgery. Just the flashing from the side that is difficult to handle, but it will continue to improve each day. Also, lights are still bothering me. I am thrilled at how much clearer my vision is getting! Quite remarkable!

My eating was messed up yesterday due to wanting comfort food and stress eating. Hopefully, I will do better today. I think we are going to the apple festival today which will be a great deal of walking which is the best exercise for me. Tonight we meet the kids to go out for wings and watch the Michigan game. So happy it is football season. :)

Luci in WNC