Gassed Out?

Options
So do you guys relate to how theres a different type of pain when lifting weights vs cardio? Like during cardio, especially like hiking or stairmaster, every step feels like fatigue overload but when lifting, it's like you feel pain in the muscle you work. However, for the past few weeks or even monthS, even though I'm a very disciplined and motivated person, my motivation and drive has gone way downhill and I've been feeling gassed out during all my exercises. That feeling like when you're climbing a steep hill in the summer. It sounds delirious but I swear j am not intending to joke around. I am seriously concerned and am wondering if it's due to a couple things. Is it due to not eating enough? Not sleeping enough(just turned 18 and sleep 7-8 hours)? Am I just being a pssy? Overtraining(even though a deload or two made me weaker... :/ ). Not eating enough fats? I tried eating lots of PB and still nothing. Please note that I am trying to recover from the eating disorder and pedometer disorder.
Thank You for your inputs

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That happened to me, turned out I had walking pneumonia
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've not been able to walk up mountains and stairs properly since at least teenage years. Two reasons for me: my bloodpressure crashes temporarily whenever I lift up my legs, as you do when you climb hills or stairs, and low iron. For the first I find that having a bit more salt and mild lower leg compression helps somewhat (running sleeves or tighter winter running leggings). Other than that there's nothing really that I can do.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    could be you're overdoing it. could be you need more calories. could be you have walking pneumonia - that happened to me, too. could be something else.

motivation can be a trap. i used to be supremely motivated to go to the gym, went 5 to 6 days a week, and i also ran. i was severely overdoing it, and after continuing to do so, i got pneumonia that did not go away quickly because i had weakened myself.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I felt like this when I had low iron levels. It’s worth having a blood test, iron deficiency is quickly and easily fixed with supplements.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You’ve asked whether this could be due to not eating enough but not given any indication of how much you’re eating, so impossible to judge. Does sound like low blood sugar weakness to me though. Although I don’t really know what you mean by ‘gassed out’ specifically. Not sure if it’s gas as in oxygen (out of breath) or gas as in petrol/fuel (weak and exhausted).

You’ve stated you’ve had issues and are working on them, but alI I know about your eating habits is that you were eating a lot of cinnamon and you liked to pace around your house while eating lettuce, so I’m guessing that maybe your eating habits could use some serious attention. How many calories, how much protein etc. Would be able to offer more help if we knew a little more.

Fatigue/weakness
  • tec9goo
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    tec9goo wrote: »
    So do you guys relate to how theres a different type of pain when lifting weights vs cardio? Like during cardio, especially like hiking or stairmaster, every step feels like fatigue overload but when lifting, it's like you feel pain in the muscle you work. However, for the past few weeks or even monthS, even though I'm a very disciplined and motivated person, my motivation and drive has gone way downhill and I've been feeling gassed out during all my exercises. That feeling like when you're climbing a steep hill in the summer. It sounds delirious but I swear j am not intending to joke around. I am seriously concerned and am wondering if it's due to a couple things. Is it due to not eating enough? Not sleeping enough(just turned 18 and sleep 7-8 hours)? Am I just being a pssy? Overtraining(even though a deload or two made me weaker... :/ ). Not eating enough fats? I tried eating lots of PB and still nothing. Please note that I am trying to recover from the eating disorder and pedometer disorder.
    Thank You for your inputs

Since you've mentioned before that you have kidney issues, I would suggest that you check in with your doctor.

Nothing to do with kidneys he told me just now
  • tec9goo
    Options
    could be you're overdoing it. could be you need more calories. could be you have walking pneumonia - that happened to me, too. could be something else.

motivation can be a trap. i used to be supremely motivated to go to the gym, went 5 to 6 days a week, and i also ran. i was severely overdoing it, and after continuing to do so, i got pneumonia that did not go away quickly because i had weakened myself.

So does the weight you thought was hard to lift eventually get easier the heavier you yourself get on a bulk? Could this be why I'm getting weaker on my lifts as well?
  • tec9goo
    Options
    tec9goo wrote: »
    Why would feeling tired and weak make you think you were being a “pssy”? What about “pssy”s do you associate with weakness?

The guy at the gym said you had to be mentally disciplined and such and such which I would honestly already agree with and try to go every workout with a 110% mentality but I tried telling him that it wasnt my motivation and all that but he called me a pssy because my mind was weak and all.

This is not helpful, either in sentiment or language to use. I would not be talking to him again. And frankly if he is staff I would be looking for another gym. And probably making a complaint to management on my way out. Anyway.

Lots of things can affect how I feel when working out. How much sleep I've had, how much and what I have been eating, stress at work, whether I am also ill, etc.
    Are you having regular rest days?

I would definitely book an appointment with the dr, and in the meantime look carefully at your food diary. Do you have a variety? Including things like fruit and veg, healthy fats, enough protein regularly. drinking enough water? Enough total calories (according to MFP, not just if you think it should be enough).
    Your body is a machine that needs to be fuelled.

This is like almost every workout though:/