For those who have lost and gained and are losing again (what I've learned)

Options
123457»

Replies

• kellie16
    kellie16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    o7al5hcg9eo6.jpg

4. I need to work on goals that have nothing to do with weight loss. I've learned my goal is to take better care of myself, not to lose weight. Losing weight is just part of me taking better care of myself.

THIS!! so super important for me too, in staying on track and making choices that better reflect respect for my own health and well being.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    OP=original post, are U in this thread to update?
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    OP=original post, are U in this thread

She seems to have left a couple of years ago. Great post.

• ThankfulEveryDay
    ThankfulEveryDay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and portion control can be managed. Success can be had. Congrats on all that you are doing.
  • andrea_anarchy
    andrea_anarchy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for this. I gained 40lb after 1.5 years "off exercise" - and that was right after a pre-pandemic low-weight high-confidence workout kick. I've felt too bad for too long, and after many failed re-starts feel encouraged by your post. Thank you!!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I gained 40lb after 1.5 years "off exercise" - and that was right after a pre-pandemic low-weight high-confidence workout kick

Close to my story too. My pre-pandemic workout kick stopped on January 19, 2020 at my local half marathon. 3 years (-2 days) ago.

And I am up 80 lbs. Today, and everyday recently is a new all-time high.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    I gained 40lb after 1.5 years "off exercise" - and that was right after a pre-pandemic low-weight high-confidence workout kick

Close to my story too. My pre-pandemic workout kick stopped on January 19, 2020 at my local half marathon. 3 years (-2 days) ago.

And I am up 80 lbs. Today, and everyday recently is a new all-time high.

I haven't read all the posts.

Why are you not working out now?

I mean - there is no way I can keep weight off without my one hour walk every day.

I've tried. I have to make that effort or I can't stick at my calories. I walked in the neighborhood all throughout the pandemic/lockdowns. Thankfully I didn't gain or lose much weight - just the normal couple pounds in both directions. Easily managed.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Thankfully I didn't gain or lose much weight -

I walk around my three mile lake most days.

A truism for me I discovered in my forties is that I can't out exercise a bad diet.

I came in second place last month in a Jan 2023 step challenge. 320,000. I was aiming for 10k/day average and proud I got it.

Many people haven't stayed even with their weight, like me, you must be doing something right.
  • meagop
    meagop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your story. I thought i was a freak, having taken off anywhere from 35-50 pounds and regained most or all of it 4 times! Here I am at the start of big loss number 5. I hope this time I will figure out the maintenance thing! I've maintained for ten years, seven years, five years, but at some point the weight will begin to creep up until I am heavy again. Sigh.

This time for sure! For all of us on this thread!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thankfully I didn't gain or lose much weight -

I walk around my three mile lake most days.

A truism for me I discovered in my forties is that I can't out exercise a bad diet.

I came in second place last month in a Jan 2023 step challenge. 320,000. I was aiming for 10k/day average and proud I got it.

Many people haven't stayed even with their weight, like me, you must be doing something right.

See, I would call a three mile walk around a lake, "Working out," it's just that it doesn't burn a whole lot of calories like a two hour cardio class at the gym, or a one hour swim in the ocean.

"Doing something right." Hm. Well, I log food and stay close to my macros...and I count my five mile daily walk as Exercise (for 300ish calories.) That's pretty much it. Digital food scale, I make 90% of my meals myself, lots of vegetables and fruit. Step on the body weight scales 1-3 times a week. Basic stuff.

It's all about finding a calorie number by experimentation and then using it. I eat 2200ish calories on most days.
  • trunkschan90
    trunkschan90 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gained 14 Ibs since Thanksgiving, so now I have to re-lose it. I got caught off guard with the holidays. I'm hoping to lose 10 Ibs in the next 5 weeks if I get my act together. I don't want to not fit in my clothes again.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So great! Moving from weight loss goals to functional goals (lifting, flexibility, running etc) was SO key to overcoming my eating disorder. I still yoyo a bit depending on my health, but these are all really great tips - thanks for the reminder!
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I became tired measuring calories by counting them here. So I’m working on eating food that can fill the fist 🤜 of my hand that equals the size of my stomach. I am also learning to eat calories according to my body’s need with age and activity, and believe me, it’s hard work but G*d who allows me to do everything with His Power is teaching me and helping to achieve this goal ! I don’t believe in maintaining weight or losing weight by exercise or working out anymore. I believe that weight should be kept by how much one should eat and working out should be for fitnesses and pleasure. I have found that when using exercises to maintain my weight that
    working out becomes a drudgery and burden.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!