Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For those who have lost and gained and are losing again (what I've learned)

2»

Replies

• chris_in_calchris_in_cal Posts: 331Member Member Posts: 331Member Member
    I'm hoping I can break the cycle of doing really well for 3 or 4 months followed by complete abandonment of my diet and regaining everything I lost.

So, true. I am at the three or four month mark, and having fear the damn is about to burst. Forgiveness, is a thing I'm going to work on.
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Posts: 2,580Member Member Posts: 2,580Member Member
    You are so right about eat-all-the things days - I struggle with binge eating too and for me those sooner or later turn into multiple-day frick-it binges that are hard to recover from. This time around I am trying to plan structured higher-calorie days and build indulgences into my weekly plans. I'm hoping I can break the cycle of doing really well for 3 or 4 months followed by complete abandonment of my diet and regaining everything I lost.

That is exactly what took me out the first time. I had an eat-all-the-things day and it turned into several days, and then I overcompensated and couldn't recover from the yo-yo'ing. It was insane just how out of control I felt about my eating during that time.
  • LAT1963LAT1963 Posts: 1,051Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,051Member, Premium Member
    Note to self: avoid 'eat all the things' days.

(add: I assume this is the 1200-1500 cal/day for 6 days a week and free food 1 day a week thing instead of 1700 cal 24/7/365?)

(add again: I'm 252 lbs right now which is why my daily calorie target is at 1750 instead of lower. I know from experience once I get around 230 MFP is gonna drop that...)
    edited August 13
  • bobsburgersfanbobsburgersfan Posts: 1,591Member Member Posts: 1,591Member Member
    I love this one:
    2.5.5. It's the good habits that make me feel good, not the actual results (although the results help).
    This is so true for me. Although I want the results, too...
    I love this one:
    2.5.5. It's the good habits that make me feel good, not the actual results (although the results help).
    This is so true for me. Although I want the results, too...

I know right? I'll get impatient and I constantly have to remind myself that overdoing it will have the opposite effect of improving my quality of life, even though my results will temporarily be better.
  • chris_in_calchris_in_cal Posts: 331Member Member Posts: 331Member Member
    I'm hoping I can break the cycle of doing really well for 3 or 4 months followed by complete abandonment of my diet and regaining everything I lost.

So, true. I am at the three or four month mark, and having fear the damn is about to burst. Forgiveness, is a thing I'm going to work on.

Well *kittens* I meant the "Dam." How come MFP didn't censor me? Mysteries of this board.

• d805d805 Posts: 21Member, Premium Member Posts: 21Member, Premium Member
    Thank you for sharing. Back at it again after gaining all the wait I lost 2 years ago.
    d805 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. Back at it again after gaining all the wait I lost 2 years ago.

Good luck and smooth sailing to you. It took me four years to start again after the first time, so it's never too late. (:
  • jrae75jrae75 Posts: 16Member Member Posts: 16Member Member
    Good for you for identifying things that sabotaged you the first time around and bringing awareness to them this time! I think patience and forgiveness are definitely keys for me to getting back into the groove of health/fitness. I lost 35 pounds a couple years ago. I did it slowly and methodically over the course of a year, and that year taught me to have faith in the process and not just to focus on the end result that I wanted. I knew that maintenance is a completely different animal than losing, so that's what I was most worried about when I started and why I wanted to take it slow. I rationalized that weight that comes off quickly comes back quickly. I've since learned that even weight that comes off slowly will still come back, though, if you let things slide -- surprise! ;-) I've only gained back about 8 pounds since the initial loss, but it's enough that I feel like I'm trending back up and need to right the ship, especially since those pounds have been just since February. Ack. So, I'm back to checking into MFP again and making an effort to exercise regularly, rather than sporadically. When I find myself engaging in negative self talk, I think of my kids. I wouldn't talk to them the way I talk to myself sometimes, so I remind myself to be kind to their mother. She deserves patience and kindness, too. Good luck to all of us!
  • cheryldumaischeryldumais Posts: 1,606Member Member Posts: 1,606Member Member
    Congratulations! It takes alot of courage to share this information and I know many others will be very grateful for the knowledge that regaining isn't the end of hope. You look amazing by the way. Great job.
  • starfruit132starfruit132 Posts: 237Member, Premium Member Posts: 237Member, Premium Member
    I like the 2.5.5... "its the good habits ...not the actual results" that make me feel good. Keeps the focus on the process and the habits for the life-long journey! Thank you for sharing and stay strong.
  • yayamom3yayamom3 Posts: 860Member Member Posts: 860Member Member
    @RelCanonical could you share some of your tips for dealing with your binge eating urges?
  • Rebecca81619Rebecca81619 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Love this post... thank~you for sharing!! <3