Intermittent fasting, I don’t get it

Pretty much what the title says. I’ve seen all these posts about how 16:8 changed people’s lives, and I want to understand. Is it really so normal to be eating more than 8 hours a day anyway? I feel really stupid but I don’t understand how it’s different from just a normal day.

Replies

• karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    It's pretty much about that one skipped meal. But if that say cuts your daily intake by 500, thats a pound a week
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    @thelandkraken do you not eat anything after 5pm? Previously I would have breakfast at 7 and my last snack could be as late as 10pm (12-15hrs). Now I eat between 12-8 (8hrs).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    IF wouldn’t mean a skipped meal, though. If I understand right and it’s eating for an 8 hour window, that’s my normal meals anyway. Breakfast at 10 because I’m not hungry before that, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense I just don’t get how it’s different from the norm, but I feel I must be missing something because of all the people who swear by the results of it.

I guess how suitable it is varies from one person to another. Your lifestyle works with the meal timings for you. But, perhaps if you’re up at 6am, grabbing a quick breakfast and then leave for a commute at 6:45, lunch break at 1pm or so, then maybe don’t get home until 8pm from the reverse commute things would look a little different? I’m guessing not everyone can have dinner at 5pm, for example due to work commitments or other family commitments.
  • thelandkraken
    thelandkraken Posts: 91 Member
    Thank you everyone for explaining it to me!

From what you've all said, it's probably not for me as I naturally eat within 7-8 hours anyway, but I appreciate the different perspectives and reasoning.