Intermittent fasting, I don’t get it

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    RC4655 wrote: »
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I doubt this - but even if it is so ,why would that matter??

I dont need to get results compared to anyone else.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

I dont think you will. How on earth would that work? What would be so magical about eating dinner before 5:00?

and given my N=1 showed perfectly good results not doing so, I dont think I would.

Besides which, is totally impractical suggestion for me - I dont finish work till 5:30, my husband doesnt finish work till 7 pm - we very rarely eat before 7.

Total calorie intake matters, not meal timing.

Meal timing only matters if it helps you achieve a calorie deficit.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

I dont think you will. How on earth would that work? What would be so magical about eating dinner before 5:00?

and given my N=1 showed perfectly good results not doing so, I dont think I would.

Besides which, is totally impractical suggestion for me - I dont finish work till 5:30, my husband doesnt finish work till 7 pm - we very rarely eat before 7.

Total calorie intake matters, not meal timing.

Meal timing only matters if it helps you achieve a calorie deficit.

The way I always heard it, and I have heard it from many people over a very long time, is that when you eat too close to bedtime your body converts what you have eaten to fat because you don't burn as many calories when you sleep.

It doesn't actually make sense but I understand that if people keep hearing it you just accept it as fact and move on. When I was battling my weight as a teen I knew a very obese person who lost a lot of weight by eliminating dinner and that made an impression on me too. So yeah, I believe it. Of course I believed that I should only eat complex carbs since the 80's too. I didn't follow it very closely but I believed it to be true because it is "common knowledge".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options

The only sense in which this is certainly true is that if you eat a higher-bulk meal later in the evening, or a higher fraction of foods that require extra water retention for digestion/metabolization, your AM weigh-in could be a tiny bit higher than if you've left more time to eliminate some of that totally irrelevant water or digestive-contents weight (via urination or defecation) by the time you weigh in. Per research already cited, it has no significant effect on fat loss over the longer term. So why worry about it?

According to the research-based Compendium of Physical Activities, sleeping is a 0.95 MET activity. This means that you burn about 95% as many calories while sleeping as you do while quietly lying watching television (estimated as a 1.0 MET activity). Metabolic activity during sleep isn't dramatically different from metabolic activity while awake, and full digestive transit/digestion takes much longer than a typical person's single sleep cycle anyway.

In practice, this question of eating near bedtime gets complicated, because some people sleep better if they don't eat close to bedtime, and others don't sleep well if they don't eat shortly before bed, and sufficient good-quality sleep for sure makes weight loss easier.

But even that effect isn't that huge, within a range of normal activity. Identifying factors that contribute to compliance with a reduced calorie intake, for oneself as an individual, is useful and can make a significant contribution to accomplishing weight loss, as a practical matter. Beyond that, worrying about timing of eating (for anyone not an elite athlete) is IMO majoring in the minors.

IF is great for weight loss among people for whom it helps manage appetite and intake, sleep quality or disease symptoms (like heartburn). It's optional, and in some cases positively detrimental, for people for whom it doesn't help those sorts of things.

There seems to be a human impulse to seek reasons why everyone should do the exact same things we choose to do ourselves, by demonstrating that they're objectively "best". I don't get it.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Actually my sleep has been worse while I've been doing IF these past 3 months. Some other key things have been better, but for some reason I'm not sleeping as well. I wish I understood what was going on with that and how to potentially address it without giving up on IF. IF has been life-changing for me in terms of appetite suppression, energy level, calorie discipline, ability to not exceed my calorie number while still having 2 big meals everyday which then keeps me from cheating, etc. But I'm not getting 7+ hrs of quality sleep any night of the week. There's definitely been an impact of IF on my sleep and not in a good way.