Intermittent fasting, I don’t get it

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    IF wouldn’t mean a skipped meal, though. If I understand right and it’s eating for an 8 hour window, that’s my normal meals anyway. Breakfast at 10 because I’m not hungry before that, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense I just don’t get how it’s different from the norm, but I feel I must be missing something because of all the people who swear by the results of it.

Those who have never been snackers would not understand. When I am working on IF which I do from time to time when my weight is sneaking up a bit I find the first few days are torture because I have gotten used to snacking until I go to bed at night. IF effectively makes me stop eating and I get out of the habit of snacking so much. That's what it does for me. If snacking isn't an issue for you then IF probably won't be of much use to you. There are those who say it has health benefits but that has not been proven to date as far as I know.

@cheryldumais

I am curious about this. For most of my life I have heard people effectively losing weight or managing their weight better by eliminating snacks. This was well before the popularity of the internet or the attempt to formalize meal skipping into a plan.

My question is what is the difference between simply saying no more snacks and setting a window that makes snacking impossible? Both require you to be disciplined.

I am not trying to trip you up I am just curious as to how you see the difference. I am aware that that perception can make two very similar things seem more doable down one path and not the other.

I know this question wasn't for me, but just wanted to share because it's something I find funny about myself. I excel at negotiating with myself. If I tell myself "no snacks", it's very easy for me to eat something 30 minutes later and tell myself "that's not a snack, that's just part of lunch, I meant to eat it earlier but didn't". I don't do intermittent fasting, but certain things are not possible for me to do without either a strong motive (like working to fit in a high calorie meal I really like) or a very specific rule (like one single serving snack per shopping trip non-negotiable). A rule like "don't eat after 7" is the kind of specific rule that would work for me because 7 is clearly defined and there is no way to weasel around it. 7:01 is not 7:00.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    IF wouldn’t mean a skipped meal, though. If I understand right and it’s eating for an 8 hour window, that’s my normal meals anyway. Breakfast at 10 because I’m not hungry before that, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense I just don’t get how it’s different from the norm, but I feel I must be missing something because of all the people who swear by the results of it.

Those who have never been snackers would not understand. When I am working on IF which I do from time to time when my weight is sneaking up a bit I find the first few days are torture because I have gotten used to snacking until I go to bed at night. IF effectively makes me stop eating and I get out of the habit of snacking so much. That's what it does for me. If snacking isn't an issue for you then IF probably won't be of much use to you. There are those who say it has health benefits but that has not been proven to date as far as I know.

@cheryldumais

I am curious about this. For most of my life I have heard people effectively losing weight or managing their weight better by eliminating snacks. This was well before the popularity of the internet or the attempt to formalize meal skipping into a plan.

My question is what is the difference between simply saying no more snacks and setting a window that makes snacking impossible? Both require you to be disciplined.

I am not trying to trip you up I am just curious as to how you see the difference. I am aware that that perception can make two very similar things seem more doable down one path and not the other.

This question wasn't asked of me, but I'm gonna chirp in on it.

The difference between "say no to snacks" and setting a window has been profound for me. Of course it is psychological, not physical, I don't deny that. Some people I know have tried the IF window thing and given up on it very quickly. For me, the window as a concept and then as a WOE stuck. It just locked in my brain that I get hour X to hour Y to eat all of my calories, and at no other time does anything but water go in my mouth. I can't say definitively why it worked, but something about having a formal structure - a rule that cannot be broken without crashing the whole IF effort - just clicked with me. In the past, I have tried a bazillion variations on "no snacking" and it always fell apart. I "no snacked" until I was hungry, and then I had an excuse for why I should have a small snack - starving, stress, bad day, been doing good for a while so why not, having a 70 calorie string cheese isn't going to fundamentally alter my weight loss, deprivation is no way to lose weight over time, etc. I had every sensible rationalization a human being can possibly have for suspending the no-snacking rule. And then then next night, I'd have another little snack, because it'd worked out pretty well the previous night and besides, why should I be hungry all the time? Two weeks later, a Party Size bag of Doritos. A month later it was all moot because I was no longer dieting.

I can't exactly explain why this IF-style "NO as in NO as in ZERO calories EVER outside the window, no excuses, no exceptions, just comply" has worked for me where "no snacking" didn't, but it just does. Perhaps "no snacking" is an approach that can break down through incremental small violations and tiny excuses that you barely even notice but that lead to less and less discipline, whereas there is a no-compromise nature to an eating window -- you are either on board or you are not, so it pushes you to stay on board. A line in proverbial sand, I guess. I have had 4 days in the past 4 months when I ate even a molecule of food outside the window. Physically, calorie-wise, it's the same thing as "no snacking", but it's different psychologically. There is always a reason to suspend a "no snacking" rule, but you can almost always comply with a hard-set eating window if you're committed to it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to read, and I'm glad NovusDies asked.

For me, no snacking is a hard rule, the same kind of rule your windows seem to be. It's easy to follow.

The window would have to be combined with AND no snacking to work for me, and wouldn't add anything structurally to make it easier.

I also found it easy when I was losing to see my calorie limit as a hard rule. I had one day a week where I was allowed to eat to maintenance if I wanted (I usually did not, but I usually had a restaurant meal that I logged loosely). I know some find that overly rigid, but it was really just easier for me (and easy in general) to treat the cal goal (+ logged exercise cal) as a hard stop.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    RC4655 wrote: »
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I doubt this - but even if it is so ,why would that matter??

I dont need to get results compared to anyone else.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

It doesn't actually make sense. You don't stop burning fat overnight, and even if you burned more while being awake between 5 and 11 (or whatever), you would not burn more overall, so the deficit would be the same, the timing of when the calories were burnt would vary.

Also, I suspect the vast majority of people cannot eat so early as 5 pm because they work, not to mention cook. For others it would be odd within their cultures to eat that early (I think that's so in parts of the US, most IMO, and in many European countries, for example). Aspiring to eat that early is unnecessary and would interfere with many people's lives in an unreasonable way.

I'm no expert on the matter. My doctor recommended eating earlier and it has worked well for me. I don't eat at 5:00 either, I mentioned 5:00 as a mealtime in response to another person who mentioned they always ate by 5:00. I have dropped 30 lbs on an IF diet, I try to get my last meal in by 7:30 or 8 but the sooner the better for me. If it doesn't work for others that's fine but I am seeing good results with IF and keeping calories under 1900 for the day. Before doing IF I slowly dropped weight on a 1900 calorie diet, on IF 30 lbs fell off over a couple of months and has stayed off. Works for me.

Sure, finding a schedule that works for you can be helpful. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Point is it's still cals, and unless you have night snacking issues that cause you to overeat or it interferes with sleep there's nothing bad that happens if you eat dinner late. I ate dinner at 9 the whole time I was losing weight and lost very easily. I do not get home from work most days before 8, and I cook dinner, so I eat at 9 most of the time.

My dad and his wife are retired and often eat at around 5 or 6, and when I stayed with them for a week I didn't find that eating early made any difference.

I agree that it's all about calories. For me it's easier to stay below 1900 calories if I eat all of my meals between noon and 8:00 pm. I'm less hungry that way and less likely to want to snack. I find going to bed earlier helps as well. If I wait until 9:30 to eat dinner, I'm so hungry I tend to overeat. Eating by 6:30 or 7:00 I'm not as hungry and am satisfied with much less food.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

It doesn't actually make sense. You don't stop burning fat overnight, and even if you burned more while being awake between 5 and 11 (or whatever), you would not burn more overall, so the deficit would be the same, the timing of when the calories were burnt would vary.

Also, I suspect the vast majority of people cannot eat so early as 5 pm because they work, not to mention cook. For others it would be odd within their cultures to eat that early (I think that's so in parts of the US, most IMO, and in many European countries, for example). Aspiring to eat that early is unnecessary and would interfere with many people's lives in an unreasonable way.

I'm no expert on the matter. My doctor recommended eating earlier and it has worked well for me. I don't eat at 5:00 either, I mentioned 5:00 as a mealtime in response to another person who mentioned they always ate by 5:00. I have dropped 30 lbs on an IF diet, I try to get my last meal in by 7:30 or 8 but the sooner the better for me. If it doesn't work for others that's fine but I am seeing good results with IF and keeping calories under 1900 for the day. Before doing IF I slowly dropped weight on a 1900 calorie diet, on IF 30 lbs fell off over a couple of months and has stayed off. Works for me.

No issue with you finding an eating structure that works for you.

Big difference between that and telling people You (as in everyone) loses more when they eat before 5 pm - or do anything that is just your personal preference.

as far as weight loss goes, it is just a personal preference - not some magic insulin reducing or less fat burning at night or whatever thing

(am not saying you said all that but has been said in thread)

• RC4655
    Options

It was thelandkraken that mentioned eating dinner at 5:00, my response was to him/her. I am not suggesting everyone eat at 5:00. I do not myself. I don't get home from work until 6:30. You may be right about it not mattering. I won't argue with you because I don't know with any degree of certainty, but my doctor thinks it matters so I eat as early as I can and it seems to work for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

I guess it's not for you then. I find it very practical and it works for me. I eat less than 1850 calories between noon and 8:00 pm. I'm rarely hungry, my weight has gone from 295 to 245 and with IF I can keep the weight off. On other programs I lose weight and gain it right back. I'm not suggesting it is for everyone. Just saying it works for me.

Obviously it is not for me - have said that several times myself.

But absolutely no issues with it working for anyone else - until they make claims about it doing things it does not or applying their personal preference to everyone else.
  • lgfrie
    Options

It was thelandkraken that mentioned eating dinner at 5:00, my response was to him/her. I am not suggesting everyone eat at 5:00. I do not myself. I don't get home from work until 6:30. You may be right about it not mattering. I won't argue with you because I don't know with any degree of certainty, but my doctor thinks it matters so I eat as early as I can and it seems to work for me.

I would be asking my doctor why he/she thinks it matters.

Not just using that as an appeal to authority with no explanation.

I too had my GP recommend eating dinner earlier if possible, and then not eating anything after dinner. In essence, he was recommending IF although he didn't use that phrase. This was before IF became a thing. Around 2005 ish.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

I too had my GP recommend eating dinner earlier if possible, and then not eating anything after dinner. In essence, he was recommending IF although he didn't use that phrase. This was before IF became a thing. Around 2005 ish.

Not eating after dinner is not necessarily IF.

I think a lot of doctors may recommend things based on what they assume are the issue re calories. It's not that uncommon for people to eat in front of the TV or computer at night, so saying "nothing after dinner" is a way of cutting cals.

I've talked about weight loss with my doctor (I was bad about medical treatment when I was fat, since I was ashamed, which I know is terrible, so I saw her when I was in the process of losing and not that overweight). She asked about my diet (which is reasonably healthy and was -- nutrition-wise -- when I was fat too, as I love cooking, love veg, etc., and asked how I was losing. I mentioned my exercise goals and MFP, and she was very enthusiastic about the MFP approach, which I of course thought was great.
  • lgfrie
    Options

I think a lot of doctors may recommend things based on what they assume are the issue re calories. It's not that uncommon for people to eat in front of the TV or computer at night, so saying "nothing after dinner" is a way of cutting cals.

I've talked about weight loss with my doctor (I was bad about medical treatment when I was fat, since I was ashamed, which I know is terrible, so I saw her when I was in the process of losing and not that overweight). She asked about my diet (which is reasonably healthy and was -- nutrition-wise -- when I was fat too, as I love cooking, love veg, etc., and asked how I was losing. I mentioned my exercise goals and MFP, and she was very enthusiastic about the MFP approach, which I of course thought was great.

I don't think it was in relation to weight loss, although that might've been part of it. It was a long time ago and I don't precisely remember. I was having some autoimmune issues back then. My GP brought up the notion of having large periods of the day w/o food as a useful method to take stress off the body (i.e. digesting food) and having more waking hours for healing, whatever that meant. Later, I got shuffled to a rheumatologist who recommended the same thing, along with other things (yoga, cardio, etc etc etc) -- and medications, since autoimmune issues are not resolved with yoga.

I'm not claiming this as a data point for "doctors recommend IF!", just noting that my n=2 experience is that doctors find it advisable to have no-food times during waking hours, for whatever reasons are in their heads at the time.
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Go in your App Store, look for an App called Fasten.

Will help.
  • RC4655
    Options

Well it took me three years to drop twenty pounds and in that time I lost it and
    gained it back two or three times using carb loading, keto, Atkins, watching my macro's etc. I researched IF after listening to Charles Poloquin speak on the subject, and after speaking to my doctor and his reasoning of not consuming carbohydrates past 6:00 pm and doing an IF diet, I quickly dropped another 30 lbs and am almost back to a weight I haven't seen in 13 years. I guess you know more than Olympic strength coaches and my doctor so tell us what we should be doing instead of IF and how much success you have had with that method. This thread was started by someone wanting to know about IF. It is reasonable to expect that people will share their stories on such a thread. How that is construed as telling everyone they must do it my way is unclear to me. Someone even said it was "dangerous" to share my story? So what do you suggest instead of IF?

Not sure why you are now getting snippy and sarcastic :*

I didn't say I know more than your doctor, I said I would be wanting to know why the doctor thought that. His/ her reasoning is more important than appealing to authority.
    And Olympic strength coaches have no relevance to most of us.

I didn't say anyone should or should not be doing anything except IF, how did you get that from what I posted?

I suggest we should all achieve a calorie deficit if we want to lose weight, using whatever style of eating suits us.

How much success I have had with my method, since you asked ( which is really just the method of eating to calorie level with really no other rules) - I lost to goal weight in 2013, over a 10 month period, and have kept at that for nearly 6 years now.

No snippieness or sarcasm was intended. I was sincerely asking what method you have had success with. You seemed to speak with some authority on the matter and I wanted to know what worked for you.

I cited Charles Poloquin because I am a strength athlete and he is very respected in the strength world and was a very knowledgeable man.

After trying all of the fad diets I too have learned that is calories in versus calories out that matters most. Being a competitive weight lifter for many years meant carrying a lot of extra weight which eventually led to type II diabetes. I have to not only count calories but also avoid carbs.

Congratulations on your success.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

I'm not claiming this as a data point for "doctors recommend IF!", just noting that my n=2 experience is that doctors find it advisable to have no-food times during waking hours, for whatever reasons are in their heads at the time.

No food times during waking hours is a bit vague - and isnt it something just about everyone does anyway?

Nobody eats so constantly that they have no waking hours not eating - do they??

This is what I always think. There seems to be this odd assumption among some IFers that if you are are not eating in a window you are just indiscriminantly gobbling food constantly.

Likely all of us spend about the same amount of time eating and not eating, it's just spread out differently.