Intermittent fasting, I don’t get it

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    IF and skipping breakfast are not the same thing.

It is for people who refuse to refer to themselves as "doing IF."

Does it really matter what anyone calls it? I skipped breakfast for most of my life and I still gained weight. However a few months ago I found a tool(IF or TRE, whatever anyone wants to call it) that helped me get under control an almost 3 decade old problem that I had...medicating myself with food.

Many years ago in a far away land(okay...little dramatic) an incident occurred in my life. I spiraled out of control for several years. One day I discovered I that "snacking" gave me some relief. This went on up until recently when I found that putting myself on an eating schedule finally gave me some control back.

A couple of years ago I lost 75lbs...almost to goal. I lost it just counting calories. Then I woke up one morning and that spiraling out of control was back and I just couldn't stop it. Long story short...I gained all the weight back. This time around I have done things differently...for me it is all about having control. My eating schedule has done this for me...whatever you want or don't want to call it. For the first time in nearly 30 years I am getting my life back.

I don't want to turn this into a book but...IF, TRE, SB as far as I know hasn't cured a thing for me physically but it has been a tool for me mentally. I no longer think about food all day, I don't miss all those "snacks" nor am I no longer stressed if I slip up and "eat to much". It has been work but my life is changing. I am getting our more, making plans and maybe most importantly I am beginning to like myself more. So whatever anyone wants to call it my eating plan has been a valuable tool for me.

Losing weight and changing your life is such a personal process so if someone calling it IF, TRE or even just skipping breakfast and that helps them then my only reaction should be to celebrate their victory. Yes...I am aware that some people will think that these methods hold mystical powers or in some way makes them superior to others. I honestly believe thought that there are more like myself that is just searching for a way to get their life back in control.

I am not trying to change your opinion I am just trying to let you know that there are some of us out here that need all the help that we can get to be successful. I am one of those people. For the first time in almost 30 years I want and feel as if I deserve a happy and successful life. My WOE is just one aspect of me accomplishing that.

Thanks for listening even if you don't agree.

My beef is not with the value of the tool it is with the unnecessary nomenclature. I have skipped breakfast for many years and, like you, experienced weight gain. So like any tool it only works if you use it correctly.

I am not much into fads and I never have been. I really kind of hate that what I do naturally is a fad now and it has a really, imo, stupid name assignment. Everyone who sleeps is fasting and if they are only fasting part of the time they are... intermittently fasting. In essence everyone does it so in my opinion no one needs to say they do it.

The results of the way I eat is increased fasting but the fasting portion of it is completely inconsequential. I only care that I eat a satisfying amount of food and that for me this is my easiest path forward. From reading your post you also didn't need fasting you needed a new rule to eliminate a habit that was holding you back.

I am glad you found something that works for you. If you want to call it one of the fancy names you will be in a lot of company... just not mine. :smile:
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    I have started eating one meal a day, at dinner time. This is a type of intermittent fasting. It works for me. I don't count calories, but I do eat a regular sized meal. I have wine a couple times a week. On average I have been losing about 1.5 pounds/week. It's just another way to do calorie reduction. You have to find what works for you.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    RC4655 wrote: »
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I doubt this - but even if it is so ,why would that matter??

I dont need to get results compared to anyone else.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

Nonsense...

And who the heck is home for dinner at 5 PM anyway? Most people I know might possibly...maybe be leaving the office...maybe...

You rang? Here I am.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    bekahlou75 wrote: »
    I have started eating one meal a day, at dinner time. This is a type of intermittent fasting. It works for me. I don't count calories, but I do eat a regular sized meal. I have wine a couple times a week. On average I have been losing about 1.5 pounds/week. It's just another way to do calorie reduction. You have to find what works for you.

I'm doing the same. One side effect of one meal a day is you save yourself time and effort by not making breakfast and lunch!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I'm doing the same. One side effect of one meal a day is you save yourself time and effort by not making breakfast and lunch!

And also don't eat breakfast and lunch. It's a negative for someone who loves food and variety like me. Protein would also be daunting to hit. People are so different!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member

And also don't eat breakfast and lunch. It's a negative for someone who loves food and variety like me. Protein would also be daunting to hit. People are so different!

You've mentioned variety a few times. Just because your consuming all/most of your calories at a specific time doesn't mean they all need to come from a limited range of foods.

How varied the food you eat regardless of when you eat them is entirely a matter of choice. You can choose to a much or as little variety in your foods regardless of what the clock says.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    IF wouldn’t mean a skipped meal, though. If I understand right and it’s eating for an 8 hour window, that’s my normal meals anyway. Breakfast at 10 because I’m not hungry before that, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense I just don’t get how it’s different from the norm, but I feel I must be missing something because of all the people who swear by the results of it.

Those who have never been snackers would not understand. When I am working on IF which I do from time to time when my weight is sneaking up a bit I find the first few days are torture because I have gotten used to snacking until I go to bed at night. IF effectively makes me stop eating and I get out of the habit of snacking so much. That's what it does for me. If snacking isn't an issue for you then IF probably won't be of much use to you. There are those who say it has health benefits but that has not been proven to date as far as I know.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    IF wouldn’t mean a skipped meal, though. If I understand right and it’s eating for an 8 hour window, that’s my normal meals anyway. Breakfast at 10 because I’m not hungry before that, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense I just don’t get how it’s different from the norm, but I feel I must be missing something because of all the people who swear by the results of it.

Those who have never been snackers would not understand. When I am working on IF which I do from time to time when my weight is sneaking up a bit I find the first few days are torture because I have gotten used to snacking until I go to bed at night. IF effectively makes me stop eating and I get out of the habit of snacking so much. That's what it does for me. If snacking isn't an issue for you then IF probably won't be of much use to you. There are those who say it has health benefits but that has not been proven to date as far as I know.

Same. Went from snacking and grazing all evening and sometimes into the night, to never having a single calorie after 7 pm, as part of my IF approach. Been doing it for almost 4 months and it's been life changing.
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I suspect if you have always eaten within an 8 hour window and typically have your last meal before 5:00 pm, then you won't see additional results but you are probably getting results compared to someone who eats late at night.

I got the results I wanted eating the calorie level I was given and eating at all sorts of times of day and almost always eating breakfast and very rarely eating dinner before 7 pm and usually something later than that as well.

Even if theoretically I could increase my loss rate by 0.01 lb per week or something by IF why would I want to do that when eating that way is so impractical and undesirable for me and I get good results by eating the way I want?

What I meant was if you eat your last meal by 5:00 pm you will get better results than someone who eats later at night. Eating too close to bed time is not good for weight loss. The earlier you take your last meal the better. Or so I've been told, but it makes sense.

It doesn't actually make sense. You don't stop burning fat overnight, and even if you burned more while being awake between 5 and 11 (or whatever), you would not burn more overall, so the deficit would be the same, the timing of when the calories were burnt would vary.

Also, I suspect the vast majority of people cannot eat so early as 5 pm because they work, not to mention cook. For others it would be odd within their cultures to eat that early (I think that's so in parts of the US, most IMO, and in many European countries, for example). Aspiring to eat that early is unnecessary and would interfere with many people's lives in an unreasonable way.

I'm no expert on the matter. My doctor recommended eating earlier and it has worked well for me. I don't eat at 5:00 either, I mentioned 5:00 as a mealtime in response to another person who mentioned they always ate by 5:00. I have dropped 30 lbs on an IF diet, I try to get my last meal in by 7:30 or 8 but the sooner the better for me. If it doesn't work for others that's fine but I am seeing good results with IF and keeping calories under 1900 for the day. Before doing IF I slowly dropped weight on a 1900 calorie diet, on IF 30 lbs fell off over a couple of months and has stayed off. Works for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

@cheryldumais

I am curious about this. For most of my life I have heard people effectively losing weight or managing their weight better by eliminating snacks. This was well before the popularity of the internet or the attempt to formalize meal skipping into a plan.

My question is what is the difference between simply saying no more snacks and setting a window that makes snacking impossible? Both require you to be disciplined.

I am not trying to trip you up I am just curious as to how you see the difference. I am aware that that perception can make two very similar things seem more doable down one path and not the other.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Snacking is an issue for me. The first thing I did when getting back on track in 2014 was decide no more snacking. I fall back into it from time to time (usually around Christmas), and it takes about a week to get back to no snacking. For me, it's great since I don't find snacking (even if on the same foods I'd include in a meal) satisfying, and I prefer larger meals. Snacking doesn't really make me good with less at main meals, and grazing all day instead of meals (as my sister, who has never had a weight issue, often does) would make me just feel unsatisfied.

The best thing about not snacking for me (obviously this does not apply to all) is that I think about food much more often and am more tempted by food that appears between meal times if I'm in the habit of snacking. If I'm not I mostly don't think about food outside of meal time (or shortly before, when I'm thinking about what I'm having or planning what to make).

However, I don't see the obvious connection to IF, at least not for all. As I understand IF, that means eating in a window, like 1 pm to 9 pm. If I did that, I would be free to eat during what used to be my biggest danger zone snack time (5 pm+ when at work, especially if I've had a bad or stressful day).

On the other hand, my no snacking schedule while I was losing was around 6:30, noon, and 9 most days, and although that's far from an IF schedule, it worked re snacking.

Now I've found that I'm less interested in breakfast lately (I think it's that I've not been working out first thing in the morning lately) so doing more like noon and 9 most days (so still not IF). I could easily push that to some kind of IF schedule, but I don't see any need to, and if I feel like breakfast on a particular day I eat it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

It doesn't actually make sense. You don't stop burning fat overnight, and even if you burned more while being awake between 5 and 11 (or whatever), you would not burn more overall, so the deficit would be the same, the timing of when the calories were burnt would vary.

Also, I suspect the vast majority of people cannot eat so early as 5 pm because they work, not to mention cook. For others it would be odd within their cultures to eat that early (I think that's so in parts of the US, most IMO, and in many European countries, for example). Aspiring to eat that early is unnecessary and would interfere with many people's lives in an unreasonable way.

I'm no expert on the matter. My doctor recommended eating earlier and it has worked well for me. I don't eat at 5:00 either, I mentioned 5:00 as a mealtime in response to another person who mentioned they always ate by 5:00. I have dropped 30 lbs on an IF diet, I try to get my last meal in by 7:30 or 8 but the sooner the better for me. If it doesn't work for others that's fine but I am seeing good results with IF and keeping calories under 1900 for the day. Before doing IF I slowly dropped weight on a 1900 calorie diet, on IF 30 lbs fell off over a couple of months and has stayed off. Works for me.

Sure, finding a schedule that works for you can be helpful. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Point is it's still cals, and unless you have night snacking issues that cause you to overeat or it interferes with sleep there's nothing bad that happens if you eat dinner late. I ate dinner at 9 the whole time I was losing weight and lost very easily. I do not get home from work most days before 8, and I cook dinner, so I eat at 9 most of the time.

My dad and his wife are retired and often eat at around 5 or 6, and when I stayed with them for a week I didn't find that eating early made any difference.