Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Apple shaped disaster

Mythrain1Mythrain1 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
I’m apple shaped/ inverted triangle. Weight is all in middle. Wider shoulders. Nicer legs. I’ll lose weight in my legs but middle is still so disproportionate. Can I change my shape? Is it even possible? What are the best fitness goals to focus on with this problem?
Thanks
«1

Replies

  • Kathryn247Kathryn247 Posts: 535Member Member Posts: 535Member Member
    Hello!
    We can't really control where our body loses weight, and for many people the stomach area is the last to lose it. That's not a disaster, that's nature.
    If you're at a healthy/comfortable weight, you could try a recomp:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • lorrpblorrpb Posts: 10,643Member Member Posts: 10,643Member Member
    How much are you trying to lose? If you're not at goal yet, keep going. Open up your diary so others can help you with your logging accuracy.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,668Member Member Posts: 28,668Member Member
    Well, lose the weight and you'll look more proportional, and if you have wider shoulders you can do resistance exercises that increase your lower body and nip in your waist, so once you are at a healthy weight you'd have a more hourglassed shape.

    But yes, lose the weight and the middle will go...usually last, but it will go!
  • catesatomicgardencatesatomicgarden Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    Same! Always the last place I lose too. Does anyone have any good at home exercises that target the lower/midsection?
  • Mythrain1Mythrain1 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    I am this shape, too. I lost 70 pounds and I kept pretty much the same shape. Since we have apples and pears I like to call myself a tortilla chip. B) It’s not so bad. We can rock a halter!
    I lost about 30. I just feel like a big marshmallow with frog legs.
  • whmscllwhmscll Posts: 2,124Member Member Posts: 2,124Member Member
    You can’t change your overall shape, that’s genetics. Losing weight, gaining strength, building muscle etc. are all great goals, but you must also learn to love your body. I have come to terms with the short, stumpy legs I was born with, for example, because they are healthy and strong and get me where I need to go. I wish I had long, slender legs like Kate Middleton but it ain’t gonna ever happen. My legs do look better after weight loss and lifting, though.
  • Kupla71Kupla71 Posts: 150Member Member Posts: 150Member Member
    I am also an apple tortilla chip. In the past when I was slimmer it was much less noticable and I was actually quite happy with my shape but now at a heavier weight I feel quite self conscious about it. My upper body and stomach are so disproportionally bigger than my lower body and I try to disguise it with the clothes I wear. Anyway. My point is with overall weight loss I’ve found it to be much less noticable.
  • apullumapullum Posts: 4,165Member Member Posts: 4,165Member Member
    Same! Always the last place I lose too. Does anyone have any good at home exercises that target the lower/midsection?

    You can't spot reduce fat.
  • elfin168elfin168 Posts: 143Member Member Posts: 143Member Member
    ill swap you your apple for my pear lol. no matter how slim i get - unless i am borderline underweight and watching every calorie, i have shapeless legs with cellulite, no bosoms. perhaps you have an unrealistic idea of what a 'woman looks like" the normal woman comes with stretch marks, cellulite, veins where you dont want them, bosoms that the media would have us believe are abnormal etc etc.
  • elfin168elfin168 Posts: 143Member Member Posts: 143Member Member
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
  • Mythrain1Mythrain1 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    elfin168 wrote: »
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
    Thx. I’m aware of all this and I eat a healthy paleo diet. Diet alone has helped me lose almost 30 lbs in 7 months. Def need to change up my exercise, but still not really seeing a difference in my middle.

  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 13,972Member Member Posts: 13,972Member Member
    Mythrain1 wrote: »
    elfin168 wrote: »
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
    Thx. I’m aware of all this and I eat a healthy paleo diet. Diet alone has helped me lose almost 30 lbs in 7 months. Def need to change up my exercise, but still not really seeing a difference in my middle.

    What is your height and weight?
    How much more weight (if any) are you trying to lose?
    What exercise are you currently doing?
  • Mythrain1Mythrain1 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Mythrain1 wrote: »
    elfin168 wrote: »
    oh, and to answer your question, not sure about fitness goals, but if you are genuinely carry excess weight in your middle this can be somewhat dangerous healthwise as it can indicate fat around your internal organs. so i would say fitness/healthwise, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, work on losing weight healthily if you are overweight. see your doctor....etc
    Thx. I’m aware of all this and I eat a healthy paleo diet. Diet alone has helped me lose almost 30 lbs in 7 months. Def need to change up my exercise, but still not really seeing a difference in my middle.

    What is your height and weight?
    How much more weight (if any) are you trying to lose?
    What exercise are you currently doing?

    Hi. I’m 168.5. Down from 196 when I started eating paleo in December. I just got out of the “obese” BMI category. I’m 5 ft 6.
    I’m not focused on a number for weight loss. I’m focused on being in better shape, getting rid of this high risk abdominal area, and try to get my body to look less top heavy.
    Exercise I walk about 3-5 times a week. I was doing elliptical/ stairs before that but I hurt my ankle and was advised to wait until it is better- which it is. Cardio makes my legs drop weight. Then I really look like a circle with stick legs. I used to do body pump- I like it but hard to find classes with my work schedule. I need a trainer or a gym- I can’t rely on tv or internet to get me to exercise.
    edited August 22
Sign In or Register to comment.