Less Alcohol - SEPTEMBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    lilann1961 wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone. I am just going to vent.

Since I have been on this medicine, alcohol hasn't even been an option, which has been very nice. Today is my 10th day AF. I have more energy, have lost three pounds, slept better last night than I have in a long time (minus my sinuses and subsequent sleeping with my mouth open -- yuck--and I may be a snorer) and am able to make much better food choices (even during lunch when I wouldn't be drinking). I know it could be the medication making me feel better, as you can start feeling a difference within a week, but I know it is because of the lack of wine. I love my wine and it is eye opening to see just how much it was integrated into my life. Tired? Have a glass or two. Stressed? Heck half a bottle or more will make you feel better. Making dinner? Classy to hold that glass. Going out to dinner? At least three. Then I do nothing after that...mostly fall asleep on the couch. No laundry, no cuddling up to hubby, no Uno with the kids.

There is such a fine line between societies view of alcohol (again, wine, scotch, bourbon, craft beer...they all sound so grown up!) and being borderline in a bad place. I don't need it, I never put myself or my family in danger by drinking and driving (really, never...that terrifies me beyond words), but the habit has become too engrained and I used these excuses to FUEL the habit, not end it. My tolerance is VERY high and I would drink it very fast. Unnecessary calories, lots of sugar and money, and while i wouldn't have a "hangover" the next day, it is always very obvious I am not as energetic and happy. Combined with very situational depression and anxiety, you can see how I chose to cope. What a cycle we can get ourselves into. You can swap alcohol for fried food, shopping, immersing yourself in video games or your phone...whatever takes the edge off of reality. I love this group because I see everyone being open, honest and breaking it down, so at the end of the month, you can see the patterns, new habits, triggers, whatever.

Just needed to write something today. Hoping as we move into October, everyone is successful in whatever goal they have.

Feel like this post could have been written by me! I'm glad you're here and you're doing a great job 👍
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    anglilacs wrote: »
    Hi all!

Had another night where I really wanted a drink but I talked myself out of it and I’m glad I did. Thanks, Yesterday Me! 😆

I had one of those days where I was unproductive at work, ate more than I planned, and didn’t get my workout in. So, I thought “I’ve really made a mess of this day. Why not have a drink?” I was really too full to have a drink and I fell asleep 10 minutes after my head hit the pillow. Having Friday as a planned drinking day helped me to resist the urge.

What you said totally resonated with me.....great to hear your mindset is in the right place and in your best interest... and you are in the driver's seat :)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello....the new monthly thread has been created. Please join us for continued support as we all learn to "drink LESS".

See you there October 1st -
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10766382/less-alcohol-october-2019-one-day-at-a-time#latest
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    annshandle wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone! I had a pretty good week. I ended up having a glass of wine on Wednesday while I was cooking, but I kept it to one glass. Big progress for me! Tonight will be a glass or two, then probably a glass tomorrow at a birthday celebration.

@annshandle we have not seen you for a bit, good to know your still doing well with drinking less..
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My plan is to have more AF days than drinking days each month. I will need to build up several in a row for September since I am starting my tracking on the 7th.

9/07 - AF
    9/08 - AF
    9/09 - AF
    9/10 - AF
    9/11 - 2 bottles Michelob Ultra
    9/12 - AF
    9/13 - 2 vodka/soda
    9/14 - 1 Mich Ultra, 2/3 bottle of red wine, and an after dinner bourbon.
    9/15 - AF
    9/16 - AF
    9/17 - AF
    9/18 - AF
    9/19 - 2 drinks
    9/20 - AF
    9/21 - 9 oz red wine. 2 oz vodka.
    9/22 - AF
    9/23 - AF
    9/24 - 2 drinks
    9/25 - AF
    9/26 - 1 Michelob Ultra
    9/27 - AF

Tally AF (Starting 9/7/19) - 14 of 21 days.

Looking forward to trying a Sober October.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Day #7 sober, but I wanted to drink. Don't we all, I guess that's why we're here.