September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Scott6255 Did you sign up for the Atlanta Publix 13.1 or 26.2? I just signed up for the 13.1 March 1st this year.

**I had to edit this post 3 times before I finally tagged the correct person. I wish MFP would make tagging easier within a thread.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Lazy_Bones_85 no, the annual trip to Peachtreein October is only chance I get to go to Atlanta. But I am signed up for the Dallas marathon in December.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    dcolander wrote: »
    Started Sept off good. Still getting use to ATL humidity and hills. Made my NRC weekly and August running challenges.. Don’t know if my knees will let me run 10K’s again😕🙁

Donna aka #rundmc#

The hills in ATL are deceitful. But you have 10 months to get ready for the Peachtree Road Race, the biggest 10K race in the world. Starts at Lenox Mall and finishes in Piedmont Park. :)

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So I'm loosely following a cross between a 10miler and HM Hal Higdon plan for my upcoming races. I'm on week 4 and am doing fine with the runs except the speedwork days. I struggle and feel like I'm going to die during them. I've been doing 8-10 1/2M repeats at 1M-5K pace. I copied all the workouts into my calendar on my phone so I didn't have to reference the plan. Anyway, I pulled up the website last night to check something and realized only then that 400Ms are QUARTER MILES not HALF MILES. Well dumb *ss here has been running double the interval length- sometimes 5 miles at better than 5K pace. No wonder my HR was hitting 205 and I really felt like I was dying. Because I was and by some unknown intervention or reason, my ticker didn't explode.

Yea, but think how much easier your next speedwork days will feel! :D
  • Scott6255
    So I'm loosely following a cross between a 10miler and HM Hal Higdon plan for my upcoming races. I'm on week 4 and am doing fine with the runs except the speedwork days. I struggle and feel like I'm going to die during them. I've been doing 8-10 1/2M repeats at 1M-5K pace. I copied all the workouts into my calendar on my phone so I didn't have to reference the plan. Anyway, I pulled up the website last night to check something and realized only then that 400Ms are QUARTER MILES not HALF MILES. Well dumb *ss here has been running double the interval length- sometimes 5 miles at better than 5K pace. No wonder my HR was hitting 205 and I really felt like I was dying. Because I was and by some unknown intervention or reason, my ticker didn't explode.

Curse the metric system 😉
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member

Yea, but think how much easier your next speedwork days will feel! :D

Plus, now you know you can survive a max heart rate above 200!😂
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    @Scott6255 I can't even imagine running 6.2 miles and having my HR average 116! Not sure what mine averaged when I did the 10K in July, but it was probably more like 150. LOL Maybe, one day.......

Today's 9 miles (starting this month Strong!) are recorded by Fitbit with an average 169 bpm heart rate. 116 is a brisk walk. I'd like to see 150 averages for training runs, but don't want to actually slow down enough to make it happen. I had forgotten I was trying to limit speed, too... I'll have to set up the other pre-set workout button on the treadmill to support that. I'll give that back to the husband if he asks, but I don't think he even knows how to program it...

exercise.png

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @Scott6255 I can't even imagine running 6.2 miles and having my HR average 116! Not sure what mine averaged when I did the 10K in July, but it was probably more like 150. LOL Maybe, one day.......

Today's 9 miles (starting this month Strong!) are recorded by Fitbit with an average 169 bpm heart rate. 116 is a brisk walk. I'd like to see 150 averages for training runs, but don't want to actually slow down enough to make it happen.

Ok. Made me go back and look. When I did the 10K in July, my average HR was 166, with a max of 207. @Lazy_Bones_85 and @Tramboman Guess I now know I can survive with a HR over 200 too! ;)
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    I didn't run today, hellish day at work, so today can be a rest day. I MUST get up early tomorrow to run.

monthly question #2 weight loss goal by December? And how do you plan on making that happen?
    Ideally 20lb but we'll see! To do that I will run as much as possible, count my calories and keep the alcohol consumption low, tough to do when every work function and social involves drinking, and they can be three times a week!

@Elise4270 Your day sounds worse than mine, sorry you had all that, hope tomorrow's better! As for a fishy couch, I'd suggest burning it because BLEUGH
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I’m hoping to run later tonight. Not sure how far I’ll go yet. Yesterday was rest day, and I’m kind of hankering to go long (or at least long for me).

monthly question #2 weight loss goal by December? And how do you plan on making that happen?
    I’m still in the weight loss portion of my journey. Running started for me as a way to burn more calories than walking. But now I’m hooked. It’s all about seeing what I’m capable of. I’m currently about 5 lbs away from reaching the top weight in my BMI range 131. That’s my first goal but I refuse to put a timeline on it. I’m currently losing about one pound per month and I don’t feel deprived in my food choices. So, I’ll stick with my current way of eating (mostly DASH) until I see a reason to change things up. My actual goal weight is 125 which is still at the top end of my BMI range but gives me a little wiggle room. (I’m 5’1”). I guess it’s possible I may reach a healthy BMI in December, but I just don’t know yet.
  • Scott6255
    @Elise4270 big hugs going out to you! Kidd can be cruel, especially your own.
    As far as cat puke, my wife's cat does that almost every day (not salmon though) I have found Resolve carpet cleaner (in spray bottle) has worked the best.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @marisap2010 Sounds like not ideal conditions for a 10K. But, you did it and survived!

@Elise4270 Hope your day gets better. Only thing I can think of to help the couch is maybe Fabreeze for fabric. It seems to work on odors really well.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    @Teresa502 The Scotland pics are gorgeous!

@Avidkeo Yay for Spring! Good luck with the move on Friday

@shanaber My worst trip was probably to Mykonos, Greece. We came back to our hotel room after a day out and found we'd been robbed. When we complained to management we were accused of telling lies to get the staff in trouble. They confiscated our passports and made us wait in some dodgy office for hours. We finally managed to convince them to give our passports back after enduring hours of verbal abuse. Once we had our passports we ran out of there and straight to a pay phone to call the police. The police told us we were in the wrong and we should go back to the hotel and pay for anything we still owed! We hung up that phone and ran as fast as we could straight to the ferry and took the first boat off that island!

@ContraryMaryMary I hope you feel better soon

@PastorVincent As I've gotten older I'm less of a fan of real camping too! Glamping is basically a cabin made out to look like a tent - the important part is you get a real bed!
    9l6xba3g534k.jpg
    cea9q556b805.jpg

@polskagirl01 WTG on the hill repeats! Also, you're awesome for picking up rubbish on your run :)

@Elise4270 I hope your day gets better. I find baking soda and some white vinegar and a little dish soap can be good for scrubbing/cleaning things like that
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    kirstymn wrote: »

@PastorVincent As I've gotten older I'm less of a fan of real camping too! Glamping is basically a cabin made out to look like a tent - the important part is you get a real bed!
    9l6xba3g534k.jpg
    cea9q556b805.jpg

Okay, that kind of camping I could consider! :)