September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    And my cat barfed wet salmon cat food on the cloth couch. Any suggestions how to un-fish it? Gross.

I could us a run.

*hugs* Right after I read this I went to wipe my hand on my pants thinking it was just wet from rinsing out the cat food can, and got a big slime of wet food on my butt. Good morning!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm controversial and kinda likes the woo button. But mostly meh

The problem with the woo button is that it was too vague. Some people insisted it was as strongly positive, others a strongly negative and neither side would budge so the button became meaningless. 🤷‍♂️

I think they said they are planning to go with “disagree,” with the goal of preventing pile-ons (when 42 different people post that they disagree and why) but not being confusing in the way that woo was. In the meantime it’s like the Wild West, you can say whatever you want without consequences! I say that drinking apple cider vinegar while standing on one leg under a full moon cures gout!

I rather see "Funny" come back than another attempt at a negative button. Ah well.

I agree with woo being too vague, but I think either funny or hilarious will get used in a negative way (Apple Cider Vinegar, HAH!), so I'd rather go with something clear like disagree.

Frankly, I rather have no anonymous "dislike/disagree" variant at all. If someone says:

"Drinking <stuff> will make you healthy, wealthy and wise"

And we think it "UMM NOPE" - then we should hit "QUOTE" and say "Umm, nope." and hopefully add something educational like "That will not work because <facts>" that way people can learn. Just clicking "disagree" really adds nothing save potential abuse and hard feelings, IMO.

But, eh, we are off-topic now I guess :)

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm controversial and kinda likes the woo button. But mostly meh

The problem with the woo button is that it was too vague. Some people insisted it was as strongly positive, others a strongly negative and neither side would budge so the button became meaningless. 🤷‍♂️

I think they said they are planning to go with “disagree,” with the goal of preventing pile-ons (when 42 different people post that they disagree and why) but not being confusing in the way that woo was. In the meantime it’s like the Wild West, you can say whatever you want without consequences! I say that drinking apple cider vinegar while standing on one leg under a full moon cures gout!

I rather see "Funny" come back than another attempt at a negative button. Ah well.

I agree with woo being too vague, but I think either funny or hilarious will get used in a negative way (Apple Cider Vinegar, HAH!), so I'd rather go with something clear like disagree.

Frankly, I rather have no anonymous "dislike/disagree" variant at all. If someone says:

"Drinking <stuff> will make you healthy, wealthy and wise"

And we think it "UMM NOPE" - then we should hit "QUOTE" and say "Umm, nope." and hopefully add something educational like "That will not work because <facts>" that way people can learn. Just clicking "disagree" really adds nothing save potential abuse and hard feelings, IMO.

But, eh, we are off-topic now I guess :)

I am totally with you, in an ideal world. Thank goodness (bringing it back on topic) this group is so awesome and supportive that we can disagree like mature, reasonable people. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is one of the best groups of people I've found anywhere on the internet, and the support I've gotten here over the last couple of years has meant more than I can say.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq great race report, good luck next week!
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @Faebert I'm a teacher too, and British, but teach in Europe. Today was our first day back with kids, after a week of Inset (and later starts). I was quite proud to get up and run 5k this morning and it was just getting light, so the dark mornings will be upon us soon enough. I hate it! It will bring nicer temperatures though, so that's a positive... too hot here for evening running.

Doing the local Terry Fox run on Saturday, always a fun event.

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    September goal: 110 miles

9/1: 8.86 miles
    9/3: 6.31 miles

15.17/110 miles completed

I ran 6.31 miles this morning. I felt a lot better than I did for my run on Sunday. I think the rest day/holiday yesterday really helped. Not only was I feeling better than I did on Sunday, the weather was better too. Not quite fall weather, but it feels like fall could be on the way. It was 68°F, feels like 69°F with 82% humidity and a dew point 63°F. So even though it wasn't perfect running weather it was much nicer than it has been lately. It is getting light later and later each morning too, so I know that fall is on the way. So far September is off to a good start.

@HonuNui Great to see you back! I have missed your snorkeling pictures!

@MegaMooseEsq Great job on the 5K and good luck with the Half this weekend!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq great job on your impromptu 5K and race report! And good luck in your Half this weekend.
    @HonuNui Love seeing your snorkeling pictures too. Glad you are back!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    RACE REPORT!!

Yesterday I got to run 3.16 miles at the Minnesota Distance Running Association’s Victory Labor Day 5K. I hadn’t intended to run this race, except that when my dad and stepmother were planning their trip to visit from California, dad expressed interest in watching me race. This was the most convenient option available, so there we are.

Initially I'd figured this would be a chance to see if I could beat my March 5K PR, but after the Summer of Aches and Pains (I need a catchier name) that was definitely not happening. I’m happy with how I did, though, and my folks seemed to have a good time and got a better understanding of something I’ve come to love, so that’s all good.

It was a relatively low key race in some ways - 586 people finished the 10K and 286 finished the 5K, no longer races (although there was a kid's mile after the 5K), and not an overly large number of spectators. On the other hand, these were competitive races for USATF Minnesota, so there were some Serious Runners there. Suffice it to say that unlike my last race, the aid stations were not giving out cake.

I was a lot more relaxed than I have been before a lot of races - with the half marathon next weekend I had every intention of running this as slowly as necessary. I settled in behind a mom, dad, and daughter (around my age) running together at around 11’15” and decided to stick with them until the turnaround. The course was an out-and-back through a neighborhood I'm not really familiar with but wasn't enormously scenic, and I've largely decided not to listen to music during races, so mostly I eavesdropped shamelessly on my unofficial pace group.

After the turnaround I left mom and daughter behind (dad had taken off a while back) and started playing pass-the-next-runner. After a bit I found myself in a big gap so was running alone for a while, which was fine but a little lonely. I basically moderated my speed based on whether my knee and hip were hurting, but found enough energy to get a reasonably pain-free sprint into the finish line. My splits were 11'08", 10'50", 9'54" and 9'05", so I got some decent acceleration in over the back half.

Alas, no medals, but I did get a long-sleeve shirt that will be nice for lounging around the house now that summer is on its way out. I’m pretty well stocked on tech shirts so was pleasantly surprised that this one was cotton.

vo88cn3u858d.jpg
    Post-race family photo!

Afterwards shower, brunch, then goodbyes as dad and SM took off for the airport. Next up this week we’ve got gym today, rest on Wednesday, 1.75 mile run to the gym on Thursday, rest Friday and Saturday, and FINALLY my first half marathon of the year. Woo! I'm feeling a little stiff today but not bad - my hip and glute have been aching a bit, but again, not bad. I've been doing some yoga and am hoping that a couple of *gentle* workouts will feel good.

Speaking of the half, I got a message from the friend of mine who is also running next weekend - it had been his idea for us to run this race together, but I had assumed that “together” meant we’d both run the same race at the same time, not that we’d literally be running together. Apparently I misunderstood and he wants to run together, even at my pokey planned pace of 12’00”, so I am very excited about that!

September Total: 3.16 miles

September Goals: Run 70 miles, lift minimum 2x/week, 15 minutes/day of moderate cardio, 15 minutes/day of mobility.

2019 Races! (bold registered)

January 26: Securian 10K, St. Paul, MN Chip time: 1:05:07
    February 16: Half Fast 10K DNS - weather
    March 23: Hot Dash 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:28:39 (*PR!)
    May 19: Women Run the Cities 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:33:02
    June 8: PHRC Pensieve 10K (virtual)
    June 12: ESTRS French 5K, Plymouth, MN
    DNS - injury
    June 29 Lift Bridge 5K, Bayport MN Chip time: 0:32:51
    August 3: Beat the Blerch 10K, Carnation, WA
    September 2: MDRA Victory Labor Day 5K, Mpls, MN
    Chip time: 0:33:04
    September 8: Sioux Falls Half Marathon, Sioux Falls, SD
    October 5: TCM 10K, St. Paul, MN
    October 6: TCM 10Mi, Minneapolis to St. Paul, MN

October 12: Bemidji Blue Ox 26K, Bemidji, MN
    November 28: Turkey Trot St. Paul 10K, St. Paul, MN
    December 14: Reindeer Run 10K, Mpls, MN

Well done!!!
    ...and you had fun, too!!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I'll sign up for 160 miles this month.

9/1 (yesterday) was the Tupelo Marathon. I thought I had my bile acid mal-absorption under control, but not so much in the 2 days before the race. So the morning of the race was no exception. :( They did not have chip timing at the start, so everyone had the same start time. I was in the porta-pot and lost a couple min. before even getting across the start line. Then lost about 10 more min. throughout the race in porta-pots. Of course, this also means I was losing a ton of water and electrolytes. That caused cramps later in the race. In the end, I finished with my 2nd worst time of 5:55:57. But at least I finished within the 6 hr. cut-off, and that means it still counts.

exercise.png

A successful finish under the cut-off counts as a good marathon in my book.
    Well done!!!
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1 Sep...6km
    3 Sep...5km

Goals September:
    13 Runs....2 run
    71km........ 11km
    5km PB....Done 1 Sep
    6km PB....Done 1 Sep
    7km..........x
    Youngest to do 5km
    Youngest to do run/walk of 10mins/1min.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    And my cat barfed wet salmon cat food on the cloth couch. Any suggestions how to un-fish it? Gross.

I could us a run.

*hugs* Right after I read this I went to wipe my hand on my pants thinking it was just wet from rinsing out the cat food can, and got a big slime of wet food on my butt. Good morning!

Oh man..I'm sorry! Haha!