Can u eat unlimited fat as long as u hit your calorie goal?

Options
124»

Replies

• joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Take Keto for example. I am the farthest thing from a Ketoer (as I had rice for lunch and pasta for dinner), and I can understand, how intuitively, we could have some concerns about the high amount of fat eaten on these diets. But as of yet, there has been no well established evidence that people on Keto have worse health outcomes than others. We are somewhat limited in our study because of the relative newness of keto as a weight loss diet, but the study that has been done yet hasn't shown Keto to have the negative health outcomes that one might expect.

I just have a bad feeling about this whole Keto thing -- people experimenting with their own bodies by putting them into "ketosis". What if it turns out in 10 years that putting yourself into ketosis is medically harmful, with irreversible damage? Or that eating a 70 % fat diet is as bad for you as intuition already tells us it is?

If it were impossible to lose weight any other way, then maybe I could get my head around this fad. But you lose weight just as fast by simply eating less and exercising more, with absolutely no health risk. Every day that you eat balanced, healthy meals in a calorie deficit, you are improving your health and life span with absolutely no downsides. The same cannot be said of Keto. At the most, one can say of Keto, "There is no proof yet that it's dangerous". That's a low standard.

I like keto food, by the way. I have no beef with keto food, so to speak. I have a problem with people trying to reengineer their metabolism through radical macro manipulation, because it seems very unwise.

I agree completely. Only missing piece is satiety. People are unique and reach satiety based on different combinations of foods. Recently, i discovered that upping my protein calories (in exchange for some carb calories) is helping me to stop eating at 1,700 calories, my target calories for weight loss. I'm doing this by replacing my post-dinner Cheerios snack, which still would not satiate me, with a cup of sweetened smooth cottage cheese and berries. I can tell its the higher protein in the cottage cheese that is making me feel satisfied because the same snack substituted with greek yogurt never used to satisfy me either. I used to get that annoying feeling of a roaring lion in my stomach an hour later, forcing me to continue eating (maybe more cereal or an english muffin) and inching up my daily caloric intake to 2,000+.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Aren't cottage cheese and greek yogurt about the same protein-wise? For general on USDA, 2% cottage cheese has 10.5 g of protein per 80 cal, and 11 g per 80 cal for plain greek yogurt (also 2%). I'm sure it would vary by brand, but not that much.

Agree that people vary as to what leads to satisfaction and satiety, and for me protein and fiber are part of it, but there are other factors such that protein can vary quite a lot.

Cabot Greek plain yogurt and Cabot fat free cottage cheese are indeed very close in protein. Cabot Greek vanilla yogurt does have less protein and more carbs.

My supermarket had a great sale on Stonyfield regular yogurt, so I got some, and not only does it have much less protein (which wasn't a surprise), but I've been eating Greek for so long that I found regular weird and less palatable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Between the cheese thing and the mammal thing and the cold-blooded poultry thing, is anyone missing "woo" yet?

I was "so triggered" by the cheese thing alone that I had to eat some habanero cheese curds, plus a hunk of apricot/almond-stuffed brie, on top of the (unsalted) mozzarella I had for dinner.

(JK: While I did eat these, it was because, y'know, I had the calories, my nutrition is checked off already, and cheese tastes good. ;) ).

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611701c076300a7f3b88003aba65e138d0ff177ae40&rid=giphy.gif

I think taking the time to explain why a chicken isn't a mammal is far more useful than simply clicking Woo.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    To be pedantic and technical, eating purely fat would probably cause weight loss even faster than would be predicted by a calorie deficit. Unfortunately, it would be a greater loss because muscle loss would happen with no protein in the diet.
    As others have said, there are other things to consider if one is looking at health and not just weight loss.

Strange enough, one of the reasons whole food keto tends to be effective imho, I mean, by itself, how interesting is butter? Olive oil?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Aren't cottage cheese and greek yogurt about the same protein-wise? For general on USDA, 2% cottage cheese has 10.5 g of protein per 80 cal, and 11 g per 80 cal for plain greek yogurt (also 2%). I'm sure it would vary by brand, but not that much.

Agree that people vary as to what leads to satisfaction and satiety, and for me protein and fiber are part of it, but there are other factors such that protein can vary quite a lot.

Cabot Greek plain yogurt and Cabot fat free cottage cheese are indeed very close in protein. Cabot Greek vanilla yogurt does have less protein and more carbs.

My supermarket had a great sale on Stonyfield regular yogurt, so I got some, and not only does it have much less protein (which wasn't a surprise), but I've been eating Greek for so long that I found regular weird and less palatable.

I never eat non plain Greek yogurt, so didn't even think of that.

I love cottage cheese (although hate it with anything sweet and usually eat it plain), so can see that being more satisfying just because it tastes best. I like greek yogurt and often add it to a meal (I just discovered a delicious 7 onion dip spice mix for sour cream that tastes great with 0% greek yogurt, and that's lower cal and high protein that I am using for a dip for raw veg), but prefer cottage cheese. I include greek yogurt mainly because it's probiotic and lower sodium, but the protein is similar.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I was "so triggered" by the cheese thing alone that I had to eat some habanero cheese curds, plus a hunk of apricot/almond-stuffed brie, on top of the (unsalted) mozzarella I had for dinner.

Because of this thread I bought some cheese curds (from WI!) from the green market this morning and have eaten too many. They squeak and I love them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    your Dr wouldn't advise it along with cardiologists everywhere, that is for sure! The Keto craze right now is going to harm a lot of people if they stay with it.

I've got to attend a funeral next weekend for 64 year old relative who, rest assured, never touched keto.