Underrated foods?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    prosciutto
  • pancakerunner
    senalay788 wrote: »
    I take your prosciutto and raise you anchovies and capers. Both huge flavour bombs, if used correctly.

anchovy paste!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    I take your prosciutto and raise you anchovies and capers. Both huge flavour bombs, if used correctly.

anchovy paste!

SE asian fish sauce.
  • pancakerunner
    acpgee wrote: »

anchovy paste!

SE asian fish sauce.

Red Boat or nothing for me.

yes. the best!
  • Beard_Life
    Beard_Life Posts: 3 Member
    Brussel sprouts
    Oatmeal
  • acpgee

anchovy paste!

SE asian fish sauce.

Red Boat or nothing for me.

yes. the best!

I really like Hung Thanh too for some applications. Like Red Boat the only ingredients are anchovies, salt and water and the factory is also on Phu Quoc island. Nitrogen content of 25 g/L is a little lower. It's a little funkier than super mellow Red Boat.
  • acpgee
    I use Red Boat or Hung Thanh if the fish sauce is the star of the dish, such as in salad dressings. If it is only needed for say a marinade I think the best of the cheap readily available brands is Tiparos from Thailand.
  • pancakerunner
    I think swiss cheese is under appreciated
  • pancakerunner
    DARK MEAT TURKEY
  • acpgee
    DARK MEAT TURKEY

I take your dark meat turkey, and raise you dark meat goose.
  • pancakerunner
    DARK MEAT TURKEY

I take your dark meat turkey, and raise you dark meat goose.

You both can have all my dark meat.

and skin?
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Edamame (high protein low fat) you want a true protein shake, try spinach, edamame, banana, egg whites, and almond milk) no protein powder junk, it's the best!

e3fobxrhz9p0.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ^never had them in a smoothie but love salted edamame in the pods for snacking on🙂
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Underrated sandwich is a BLT...I just had one last night for the first time in a long time, and forgot how good they are. Just bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toasted bread. So good.
  • pancakerunner
    Underrated sandwich is a BLT...I just had one last night for the first time in a long time, and forgot how good they are. Just bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toasted bread. So good.

Agreed!!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

I like to make "BLT" wraps all the time.

I air fry some crispy fake bacon or turkey bacon whichever I am in the mood for with lettuce, tomato, onion in an everything bagel tumaros wrap. Sometimes I then broil it a bit in the oven to give it a nice toasty top.
  • pancakerunner

I like to make "BLT" wraps all the time.

I air fry some crispy fake bacon or turkey bacon whichever I am in the mood for with lettuce, tomato, onion in an everything bagel tumaros wrap. Sometimes I then broil it a bit in the oven to give it a nice toasty top.

I don't usually do mayo on mine, but like mustard aoili
  • pancakerunner
    smoked cheeses
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,563 Member

I gave into my BLT craving but sorta half assed it? I got a kids size veggie delight at Subway with just lettuce, tomato, mustard, and added bacon (that was one freaking expensive BLT, let me tell you!) and it was only so so. I don't normally do mayo but maybe that's what it was missing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,609 Member
    And any fermented food. Natto does not apply here. That should be abolished.

(snip appealing image, for reply length)

I've only had natto once, in maki, so it was a small amount, but I liked it (even though the server basically politely suggested that I'd be ethnically unlikely to enjoy it). I'd try it in a bigger portion in a restaurant, but am not quite brave enough to bring some home from a store and try to figure out what to do with it. It does look like something a cat spit up, which is off-putting 😆, and it smells . . . interesting.