Underrated foods?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not arguing with the list and all that makes sense, I just think it probably varies by location and it's interesting to see how perception varies. Now that I know what you mean by runny cheeses I'd say that's contrary to my perception too (in the sense that if someone orders a cheese plate or brings one to a party it will include that sort of cheese and it will be one of the most popular), but I do agree when it comes to what people are likely to have at home.

Both of my parents liked fish and I grew up eating it (and going fishing with my dad and his friends), so I think my perception of how popular fish is could be distorted.

I ate a fair amount of fish growing up Catholic, but mostly it was a frozen breaded product, and I thought I didn't like fish, when what I didn't like was frozen breaded stuff. A light bread crumb coating you apply to a filet yourself is fine, but the stuff my folks bought when I was growing up was a thick coating that developed into a layer of mush between the crispier outer crumbs and the actual fish, and generally tasted just shy of burned and just shy of rancid -- the burned could be due to overcooking but the oil was already embedded in the crumb coating, I believe, so I don't think my mother could have been to blame there.

We did on rare occasions have fresh fish from fishing excursions, which I liked better, except for the fear of choking on a bone. (I'm wondering now if somehow my mother didn't really know to filet a fish, despite knowing how to clean and cook fresh fish?)

So maybe my perception is skewed by that, but when I first wrote it, I was -- at least on a conscious level -- more thinking about much more recent experiences in restaurants and dining in other people's homes. I don't think I have ever been served fin fish other than salmon or tuna in someone's home.

I have different experiences re what I see people ordering in restaurants, but I don't think fish is a common thing to have at dinner parties, true. I don't think I've ever served it beyond one time I did skate in brown butter because it's so fast.

I do think salmon and (canned) tuna and tilapia are likely the most commonly consumed fish. The later two are pretty cheap, and salmon is just really popular. I'd say trout and some others are underrated vs. salmon for sure (I dislike canned tuna, although I like tuna steak, and I think tilapia is overrated and usually don't eat it).

I agree with you on tilapia -- not that it's bad, but it seems to get way more attention than other, equally worthy or even more interesting fish. And there do seem to be trends in the "third" popular fish after salmon and tuna -- in my adult life I've seen the third, fad fish cycle through (blackened) catfish (I like catfish, but I seldom found that charring it improved it), mahi-mahi, Chilean sea bass, and now tilapia. I may have missed some of the fads.

In addition to exploring what's available in the freezers next to the fish counter (almost everything on ice at the fish counter was previously frozen, so I only pay extra for having the store defrost it if I definitely want something to cook that night), I've also discovered that I like canned fish beyond the usual tuna and salmon, such as sardines, mackerel, herring (kippers), and smoked trout.

This post makes me glad that I live in the Pacific Northwest. Salmon is just not at all a fad here - it's what's always been eaten (well before colonization). It's funny because I don't eat a whole lot of fish now all things considered. I ate a ton of it growing up though - primarily trout and salmon

I think what is a bit of a fad here right now is poke. Not the fish that is used to make it, but the actual preparation.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    orangey colored lentils, potatoes are nutritious(more potassium than banana for same weight)& low calorie
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Canadian bacon.
  • mkmaske23
    mkmaske23 Posts: 14 Member
    Cottage cheese!
  • pancakerunner
    mkmaske23 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese!

Yes. Love! What's your go-to brand? type?
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I want to add Spelt and pearl barley to this.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Winter squashes, properly roasted. Heirloom apples. White miso. Fresh coconut.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Oh, and the crazy dense crazy moist small rectangle German bread.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    cottage cheese. Yummy especially mixed with a bit of yogurt. Low cal, decent protein hit...love it
  • pancakerunner
    Rye bread.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Spaghettios
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Spaghettios

I love your profile pic :D
    Rye bread.

YES! I loveeeee rye bread. Also pumpernickel. I always buy rye and pumpernickel wraps too.
  • pancakerunner
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Spaghettios

I love your profile pic :D
    Rye bread.

YES! I loveeeee rye bread. Also pumpernickel. I always buy rye and pumpernickel wraps too.

Pumpernickel with cream cheese, dill and cucumeber. Yum!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    EGGNOG
    <snip photo for length>

Actual eggnog, with heaps of real cream and eggs and rum and such, with fresh nutmeg: Yes. Things in cartons from the store: Mostly, not so much. Some (not all) are OK, but not the same.

Sadly no one makes real Eggnog anymore. I miss it and detest the stuff in the carton. Doesn't taste anything like what we used to make.
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    EGGNOG
    <snip photo for length>

Actual eggnog, with heaps of real cream and eggs and rum and such, with fresh nutmeg: Yes. Things in cartons from the store: Mostly, not so much. Some (not all) are OK, but not the same.

Sadly no one makes real Eggnog anymore. I miss it and detest the stuff in the carton. Doesn't taste anything like what we used to make.

5ywxrnfgvrpu.jpg

The best store-bought eggnog!
  • Chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

The original bodybuilding staple meal gets so much flak and is actually delicious - I'm eating it for lunch right now and do almost every day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

The original bodybuilding staple meal gets so much flak and is actually delicious - I'm eating it for lunch right now and do almost every day.

Wait, chicken is underrated? By who and where?

I mean yes, chicken, rice (of most types), and broccoli are three staple foods for me, but still.
  • pancakerunner
    aokoye wrote: »
    Chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

Wait, chicken is underrated? By who and where?

I mean yes, chicken, rice (of most types), and broccoli are three staple foods for me, but still.

I wouldn't say its underrated... but over-flakked?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't think chicken, rice, and broccoli are underrated. I think eating them to the exclusion of other just as good foods is overrated by some, and I wouldn't want to eat it every day, so I would accept "eating chicken, rice, and broccoli nearly every day" as underrated (although I would not agree, I think it's current rating is about right).
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    Brussels sprouts! Pretty stereotypical "yuck" food but add some healthy fat, garlic and seasoning? Mmm mmm.