Underrated foods?

Options

Replies

• Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts! Pretty stereotypical "yuck" food but add some healthy fat, garlic and seasoning? Mmm mmm.

Roasted Brussel sprouts! Amazing
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Ostrich eggs (I live in Cape Town, South Africa) :)
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Ostrich eggs (I live in Cape Town, South Africa) :)

While we're on the subject of eggs, I think jammy eggs are underrated.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts! Pretty stereotypical "yuck" food but add some healthy fat, garlic and seasoning? Mmm mmm.

Or add any fat. Duck fat especially if you're not vegetarian. Shredded brussels sprouts (just put them through a slicing blade in a food processor of cut them like you would a cabbage) sauteed with duck fat, garlic, and salt and pepper are amazing.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Or add any fat. Duck fat especially if you're not vegetarian. Shredded brussels sprouts (just put them through a slicing blade in a food processor of cut them like you would a cabbage) sauteed with duck fat, garlic, and salt and pepper are amazing.

Bump! Love Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon drippings and topped with blue cheese and crumbled bacon.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't think chicken, rice, and broccoli are underrated. I think eating them to the exclusion of other just as good foods is overrated by some, and I wouldn't want to eat it every day, so I would accept "eating chicken, rice, and broccoli nearly every day" as underrated (although I would not agree, I think it's current rating is about right).

When I go into a cut I tend to eat pretty much the same things at the same times every day. It's easy, efficient, and extremely effective.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I don't think chicken, rice, and broccoli are underrated. I think eating them to the exclusion of other just as good foods is overrated by some, and I wouldn't want to eat it every day, so I would accept "eating chicken, rice, and broccoli nearly every day" as underrated (although I would not agree, I think it's current rating is about right).

When I go into a cut I tend to eat pretty much the same things at the same times every day. It's easy, efficient, and extremely effective.

but is it underrated?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Underrated (maybe not, but not common): Sturgeon. I'm a former Pacific Northwest guy, so almost all seafood is awesome.

Also underrated (only because it's not possible to rate it high enough): Copper River salmon - the best on the market (it's seasonal, so not available all the time).

Overrated? Tilapia. Rye bread. Yuck.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Underrated (maybe not, but not common): Sturgeon. I'm a former Pacific Northwest guy, so almost all seafood is awesome.

Also underrated (only because it's not possible to rate it high enough): Copper River salmon - the best on the market (it's seasonal, so not available all the time).

I love tilapia personally...
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

but is it underrated?
    I do actually think eating the same things at the same times every day is underrated. For cutting at least, but even on maintenance or a bulk I still tend to do it a lot.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I approve of this message.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

but is it underrated?
    I do actually think eating the same things at the same times every day is underrated. For cutting at least, but even on maintenance or a bulk I still tend to do it a lot.

I don't. I actually think it's important to vary vegetables and eat a much greater variety than just endless broccoli, for health reasons, and I feel somewhat the same way about the other parts of the meal (plus plain boneless, skinless chicken breast is NOT underrated, but the opposite).

I usually eat a similar breakfast (when I eat breakfast) for long stretches, but the vegetables used in it varies. I very commonly have either a salad with protein on it or a chili of some sort or dinner leftovers for lunch, and I typically have a dinner consisting of some kind of starch (often dictated to some extent by what's in my farm box, if I am getting corn, potatoes, or sweet potatoes), some kind of protein (this could be beans/lentils, depending on the dish), and a variety of different veg. I might sub fruit for the starch if I didn't have much fruit earlier in the day.

I think this is easy and efficient, and it allows for a greater variety of foods and therefore nutrients, but that's just my preference. So I don't think "eating the same thing every day" is underrated at all, even apart from the fact I'd get tired of it.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    3r0iy6xpooes.jpg
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Artichoke!!! I love a steamed artichoke, they're so much fun and an experience to eat, and mostly just green fiber so super low calorie depending on the dip you use (go for homemade lemon juice, pepper, and a little tahini).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Is this just plain roasted/grilled/broiled/poached chicken, steamed broccoli, and brown rice? I mean I could probably eat chicken, broccoli (steamed or roasted), and rice every day. That said, just plain chicken wouldn't do it for me, not for long at least. Not when there are so many ways to make chicken (I eat a lot of chicken).
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    also, baby corn!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

but is it underrated?

Yup.
    People hate on monotonous eating all the time but I appreciate routine.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Bread in general (unless freshly baked) is mostly overrated, but the reason I hate rye bread is mostly that it typically has caraway seeds, which are horrible.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Is this just plain roasted/grilled/broiled/poached chicken, steamed broccoli, and brown rice? I mean I could probably eat chicken, broccoli (steamed or roasted), and rice every day. That said, just plain chicken wouldn't do it for me, not for long at least. Not when there are so many ways to make chicken (I eat a lot of chicken).

My trick? I work outdoors and have to pack a lunch. Doesn't matter if I am sick of it or not, I eat what I bring or I go hungry.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Bread in general (unless freshly baked) is mostly overrated, but the reason I hate rye bread is mostly that it typically has caraway seeds, which are horrible.

For once, I disagree strongly with you. Not bread, or even rye bread, which I also mostly find kind of meh, but caraway seeds.

Carrots roasted with caraway seeds and butter: Underrated. ;)