Underrated foods?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I can't understand why more people don't love Fig Newtons.

I LOVE fig newtons! the original

Same. I love them too! An ice cream shop near me makes a fig newton goat cheese ice cream... Now I'm craving it. haha

Fig newtons + cheese + wine = food nirvana

who disagreed.

Not me, but I get it. For one, Fig Newtons are too dry and not grain-y enough (I'm aware that this is personal preference, not objective Truth), and IMO they're too sweet . . . especially too sweet to pair with most cheese and wine, unless you're maybe talking an actual good desert wine, and a suitably matched cheese. But generically, wine and cheese plus . . . well, actual ripe figs would maybe be OK. Not the minimum-date rectangular sugar puck, though. ;););)

The Fig Newton goat cheese ice cream sounds like it could be good, though. :)
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Same. I love them too! An ice cream shop near me makes a fig newton goat cheese ice cream... Now I'm craving it. haha

who disagreed.

Not me, but I get it. For one, Fig Newtons are too dry and not grain-y enough (I'm aware that this is personal preference, not objective Truth), and IMO they're too sweet . . . especially too sweet to pair with most cheese and wine, unless you're maybe talking an actual good desert wine, and a suitably matched cheese. But generically, wine and cheese plus . . . well, actual ripe figs would maybe be OK. Not the minimum-date rectangular sugar puck, though. ;););)

Yeah I get it...fig newtons and cheese and wine IDK... but FRESH figs wrapped in prosciutto with cheese and wine. yesssshhh

And the goat cheese fig netwon ice cream is great. Sweet, savory, tangy, salty.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

who disagreed.

Yeah I get it...fig newtons and cheese and wine IDK... but FRESH figs wrapped in prosciutto with cheese and wine. yesssshhh

And the goat cheese fig netwon ice cream is great. Sweet, savory, tangy, salty.

OMG that ice cream sounds incredible....
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Sriracha- on everything! (eggs, rice, vegetables, mixed with salad dressings, chicken.. so much you can do with it!)

Cottage cheese

Plain yogurt

Spinach- I cant run out in my house. Daily essential here!

Canned smoked herring- why does everyone except me think its gross?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes...Fig Newtons
    -Dates
    -Red cabbage
    -Diakon
    -Cottage cheese
    -Sardines
    -Kimchi
    -Finishing salt
    -Roasted sea weed nori
    -Tempeh
    -Tofu
    -Lentil (lentil dahl...yummm)
  • pancakerunner
    Sriracha- on everything! (eggs, rice, vegetables, mixed with salad dressings, chicken.. so much you can do with it!)

Cottage cheese

Plain yogurt

Spinach- I cant run out in my house. Daily essential here!

Canned smoked herring- why does everyone except me think its gross?

Herring in general is gross lol
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    True story.... I had to google fig newtons and can honestly say that I have never had those things.

WUT
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Kimchi .....i recently started loving this stuff ,,,,i know it is a staple for many people but I never tried it until this year.
  • pancakerunner
    Kimchi .....i recently started loving this stuff ,,,,i know it is a staple for many people but I never tried it until this year.

Love it, but couldn't eat it for years because it stunk up the house. But now that I have my own place... :D
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member

Love it, but couldn't eat it for years because it stunk up the house. But now that I have my own place... :D

My husband might leave me if I start eating that. I still have to hear about the time I roasted up brussel sprouts. I need my own house in the backyard.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    What are some of your favorite foods that you think deserve more love?
    Herbs and spices.
    I made fried potatoes for breakfast. Cumin seeds supplied 50% of the minimum RDA of Iron. 55% of vitamin k came from parsley.
  • pancakerunner
    e12qgawyaxql.jpg
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Ohh, now I want the english muffins with butter and jam AND soft-boiled eggs.

I been wanting to give this a go... gist is all the flavors/ingredients in a devilled egg, but soft-boiled and not blended together:

ef84fc24e901a38e33405cde7bf7c63a.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Here is something I bet most of you have never had....monkfish. One of the ugliest, slimiest, most creepy creatures from the ocean but some of the best tasting fish ever. (the tail) I worked commercial fishing back in the 80s . We primarily caught scallops, but many monkfish came up with the nets too. We'd filet them right on deck with the scallops.

The last time I bought monkfish at the market we found it useless for sashimi. The raw flesh was scattered with hard bits of grey grit we had to spit out. What was that?

• pancakerunner
    dwolqrzl6ngx.png
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    Here is something I bet most of you have never had....monkfish. One of the ugliest, slimiest, most creepy creatures from the ocean but some of the best tasting fish ever. (the tail) I worked commercial fishing back in the 80s . We primarily caught scallops, but many monkfish came up with the nets too. We'd filet them right on deck with the scallops.

The last time I bought monkfish at the market we found it useless for sashimi. The raw flesh was scattered with hard bits of grey grit we had to spit out. What was that?

Scales? Also.... monkfish for sashimi? You are brave.

I would never have that for sashimi. No way
  • breanamock
    breanamock Posts: 28 Member
    Parsnips
    Don’t add much to the look of a plate, since they’re just white, but they have lots of vitamins, and if you roast them, they get incredibly sweet.

Fried okra
    Obviously not the healthiest of veggie preparations, but one of my faves that not a lot of people seem to like.

Toast with strawberry preserves and sour cream
    Apparently it sounds gross to lots of people, but give it a try. The sour cream and strawberries balance each other out so well.
  • pancakerunner
    breanamock wrote: »
    Parsnips
    Don’t add much to the look of a plate, since they’re just white, but they have lots of vitamins, and if you roast them, they get incredibly sweet.

Fried okra
    Obviously not the healthiest of veggie preparations, but one of my faves that not a lot of people seem to like.

Toast with strawberry preserves and sour cream
    Apparently it sounds gross to lots of people, but give it a try. The sour cream and strawberries balance each other out so well.

I can see the sour cream and strawberry... kind of like plain yogurt?