Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ef1t5q7abt7u.jpg

hanky pankies!

Hmm. What is that?
    My husband’s favorite Super Bowl appetizer is what he calls “mini pizzas” which is basically cocktail rye bread baked with a topping comprised of velveeta, cooked pork sausage, and a little bit of tomato sauce all mixed together like a thick chili cheese dip.

I have to say I love them too.. this looks similar from your photo.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    37bcvmv9yg7h.jpg

PIZZA HUT DESSERT PIZZA
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ef1t5q7abt7u.jpg

hanky pankies!

Hmm. What is that?
    My husband’s favorite Super Bowl appetizer is what he calls “mini pizzas” which is basically cocktail rye bread baked with a topping comprised of velveeta, cooked pork sausage, and a little bit of tomato sauce all mixed together like a thick chili cheese dip.

I have to say I love them too.. this looks similar from your photo.

exactly the same... you can get fancy and add some Swiss cheese and ground beef to the mix
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    meatloaf and canned green beans with ketchup (on the meatloaf and the green beans)

Not gonna lie, I've had this about 3 times in a week. It's a once-a-year nostalgic thing for me.
  • mbouchard1234
    mbouchard1234 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Melted cheese sandwiches
    Peanut butter and banana on toast
    Fruit by the foot/gushers gummies
    Grilled cheese
    Popcorn with real melted butter on top
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    meatloaf and canned green beans with ketchup (on the meatloaf and the green beans)

Not gonna lie, I've had this about 3 times in a week. It's a once-a-year nostalgic thing for me.

This was a childhood favorite for me as well. Green beans and all... with melted butter/
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Melted cheese sandwiches
    Peanut butter and banana on toast
    Fruit by the foot/gushers gummies
    Grilled cheese
    Popcorn with real melted butter on top

PB and banana toast with honey!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My mom's tuna noodle casserole (with cream of mushroom soup)....this would be my last meal on earth if I had to pick one. Fruit roll-ups, Rice Krispy Treats, bologna sandwiches (basically a piece of bologna on two pieces of white bread w/ a little mayo), my Grandma's stuffed peppers.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My mom was blind and it always amazed me that she could cook/bake and do all the ordinary things a SAHM would do, she has since passed away and I will always miss her cooking. On that note: Mom's hamburger hotdish with crushed up club crackers, Mom's chocolate chip cookies, Kraft Mac & Cheese (Spiral), graham crackers with frosting, Ritz crackers with peanut butter in the middle and dipped in chocolate almond bark (another one of mom's)
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    My mom was blind and it always amazed me that she could cook/bake and do all the ordinary things a SAHM would do, she has since passed away and I will always miss her cooking. On that note: Mom's hamburger hotdish with crushed up club crackers, Mom's chocolate chip cookies, Kraft Mac & Cheese (Spiral), graham crackers with frosting, Ritz crackers with peanut butter in the middle and dipped in chocolate almond bark (another one of mom's)

Emphasis on the spiral mac and cheese haha. Your mom sounded like an amazing human.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

That is amazing! Funny I ONLY liked spiral Mac and cheese as a kid. It was the only kind I would eat. I was certain it tasted completely different from the regular one. I still prefer spirals.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    For the olive-haters:
    0yaqw36xxblf.jpeg
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Tomato soup & grilled cheese
    Corned beef hash with eggs and bacon
    Strawberry rhubarb crisp
    Zucchini bread
    Ham and butter sandwiches (my great grandma would feed them to us every time we went to visit, they were sooo good!)
    Cinnamon rolls from the package that exploded and scared the crap out of you when you twisted it to open
    Breakfast sausage links rolled up in pork sausage
    Spamwiches (these sound gross, I promise they are amazing... I still love them to this day, the only way I will eat spam. You put spam, onion, and cheese through a meat grinder together, spread it onto hamburger buns, and broil them open faced in the oven until they're dark brown... so good)
    Bologna spread (it was some kind of spread made with super finely chopped bologna, mayo, pickle relish, and who knows what else, but we took it on every single canoe trip)
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    0u31wlcyvu85.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    lf63y87yaity.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Bags of bulk candy from the bins at the grocery store. That was such a treat. Especially before going to the movies We’d go and get bags of cheap bulk candy.

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Bags of bulk candy from the bins at the grocery store. That was such a treat. Especially before going to the movies We’d go and get bags of cheap bulk candy.

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg

This was so not my experience...my mom would bring treats in her bag😪
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    When I was growing up, eating out and/or eating "fast foods" and even frozen foods was never a regular situation for us. We used to eat out or enjoy fast foods every few months or so, or even a few times per year or on a special occasion only. The reason we didn't eat out regular nor eat frozen foods (called frozen dinners back in the day), was because my parent used to tell us when we'd ask if we could have some for dinner (like many of our friends did), they would say "eating frozen foods, eating out at restaurants often and eating fast foods regularly is for "rich" folk". My mother was a homemaker/SAHM and cooked everything from scratch. She told us it was cheaper and better for us to eat home cooked meals and that was as they say, THAT!

Much like how different it is today to have wooden floors in your home/apartment (instead of having carpeting) were for "poor folk"...back then, rich peeps (or peeps with money to spare/burn had carpeting ). Having wooden floors back then was actually kinda of embarrassing and again, a sign of poverty...we had wooden floors--we couldn't afford carpeting. It's amazing how time changes. We used to joke about paying for water or air (from gas stations)…paying for/selling/buying water and air was something that we honestly believed could NEVER happen in a million years. Also, back in the day, if you came outside with wrinkled clothes on, with dirty looking clothes on (called "distressed” look today) and/or had holes in your clothes, people felt sorry for you AND stayed away from you, because coming out in public looking like that was a sign of mental illness and/or a sign that something was very wrong with you. Wow--how times have changed! Also back then, only sailors/marines (and/or "tough" military guys), bikers, gang members, criminals/jail inmates, "ladies of the night" (as we used to call them) and such had tattoos. Tattoos for so-called "regular folk" or to express so-called "body-art" for "the average Joe" was unheard of. Even pierced ears was looked at with a "side-eye" back then—up until around the mid-70’s did pierced ears come into vogue—definitely something me and my friends had to ask permission from our parents to do/get.

That said...here's some stuff we used to be thrilled/a super treat to get eat for dinner, that was the exception to the rule of home-cooked from scratch (breakfast, lunch and dinners) daily.

Chinese Food (maybe we'd have this once every few months or so)
    Shrimp fried Rice:
    shrimp-fried-rice-3.jpg
    Shrimp egg foo yung
    1018116_p1070257.jpg
    1f79193a486396699c1206440bf1c711.jpg
    Shrimp w/black bean and lobster sauce:
    picVF1yHZ.jpg
    Egg rolls w/hot mustard sauce
    baked-mini-egg-rolls--hot-mustard-sauce.jpg

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    I loved hot dog Spaghetti Os as a kid though I rarely had hot dogs. My favorite dinner was a Hamburger Helper taco casserole, it was so good!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Actual homemade Chex mix
    Twinkies
    Those sticky, chewy peanut butter candies at Halloween
    Fake mint edible cigarettes
    Dinosaur egg jawbreakers