Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Never look at food pictures when I am hungry.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    my Grandmother's homemade pecan rolls (she made these on special occassions only)--hers looked (tasted) 100 times better than these though--but these are close to what they looked like:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4VFz_UkeEvt2AhLdwLf0kGfQ4iaTBxkEbnnh85teTni3Xf77H&s

35-Pecan-Logs-2018.jpg

ohmlwdsvhwlg.png

Dixie cup Popsicles:

Kool-aid:
    acfc517d441e9fa6398ae62477f7af34.jpg

Juices and other stuff:
    landscape-1435774149-delish-dixie-cup-lineup.jpg?resize=480:*

Easy-Rainbow-Popsicles3a.jpg

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Mashed Potatoes. My mother was not a good cook, but we always had mashed potatoes (Irish), so us kids would bury everything in mashed potatoes in order to get it down. LOL
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    my Grandmother's homemade pecan rolls (she made these on special occassions only)--hers looked (tasted) 100 times better than these though--but these are close to what they looked like:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4VFz_UkeEvt2AhLdwLf0kGfQ4iaTBxkEbnnh85teTni3Xf77H&s

35-Pecan-Logs-2018.jpg

ohmlwdsvhwlg.png

Dixie cup Popsicles:

Kool-aid:
    acfc517d441e9fa6398ae62477f7af34.jpg

Juices and other stuff:
    landscape-1435774149-delish-dixie-cup-lineup.jpg?resize=480:*

Easy-Rainbow-Popsicles3a.jpg

We called those ice blocks. Made them with our Dad on Saturdays after farmers market shopping when we would process seafood and fruits would be cut up and boiled up to be stored for juice for the week. Both fresh filtered, pulpy and boiled were added to paper cups for ice block treats for us and our friends to consume after playing Cops n robbers or WW2 reenactments. Lol. If mangoes are aplenty, then a creamsicle type Indian recipe is frozen. Yum! ! We used paper or plastic cups as Dixie wasn't our availed brand.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    RCPV wrote: »
    Mashed Potatoes. My mother was not a good cook, but we always had mashed potatoes (Irish), so us kids would bury everything in mashed potatoes in order to get it down. LOL

My technique with most island seafood dishes. I would often mash yucca or taro(dasheen) to bury the fish. I hated fish as a child.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    w13vfqppbjx5.png
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    npuvbwle3gf2.jpg

I don't remember the cup art but the top and product, yep! I got this only 1-2 times from the ice cream truck but loved it.

d99u99l726qy.png

@seltzermint555

This was the brand sold in all Pacific island tuckshops in the 60's to 80's. Treats were phased out in the 90s to the present by the governments in favour of real cooked food.

qkdpf9iux3dj.png

I especially enjoyed this with traditional bhuja mix. Now realise that the flavour was too sweet for my palate even then, where I'd needed to qualify it as a savoury ice cream by adding the snack blend.
  • k8eekins
    edited December 2019
    Options
    zgs98yiyp1rr.png

Soursop. My mum's dad had two trees which canopied the family hangi to filter out the smoke when the earth oven was lit. We would perch ourselves on branches and nosh on these, staying out of harms way, yet still involved in the prep for a special occasion or just a normal Sunday lunch. Or we would De-seed, use a stone mortar n pestle to turn into a thick pulp and drink it down. Yum!

Ate Soursop ice cream made Keto-style 2 days ago. Surprised I didn't cry.

I miss soursop jam so so much at seeing that image ... with a fresh loaf, generously buttered plus freshly brewed homemade chai tea OMG.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    These remind me of my Granny when we'd camp every summer...She would make these in her camper (PB cornflake cookies)svmw6lnpefa6.png

• k8eekins
    Options
    bear2303 wrote: »
    cw1e26bf2ok2.png

Ok so this is VERY off topic but your package of hot chocolate mix made me think of it and i can't not share now. Anyway, so my best friend's boss is a geologist and a major chocoholic. Both are equally relevant to the story trust me.

So she used to sometimes just eat straight hot chocolate mix like in powder form if she didn't have any other source of chocolate around. One day she was working and got a craving so she spied a little pile of powder on the corner of her desk and scooped it up and ate it. It was then that she realized that the powder on her desk wasn't hot chocolate mix but was ACTUALLY DIRT. GIRL ATE STRAIGHT UP DIRT THINKING IT WAS CHOCOLATE.

I ate Milo granules mixed with dried fortified buttermilk powder by the spoonful as a child. Think that started before we were taught to serve ourselves from the thermos my Dad would prep for us. My sister could reach the milo and buttermilk powder, whereupon she would serve our wee cups with the correct measurements, where the hot water was the hurdle, until THERMOS. Pre-kindie.

:laugh: Our childhood memories. Your account has me thinking that I can't for the life of me, ID what the hot beverage drinking bowl many of us would drink from when amongst relatives in the villages, not that that was how we enjoyed our milo from the usual universally recognised mug.
  • k8eekins
    edited December 2019
    Options
    corned-beef-cabbage-www.seasonedkitchen.com_.jpg
    you can find the recipe here:
    https://www.seasonedkitchen.com/moms-corned-beef-cabbage

east-carolina-chicken-salad.jpg
    chicken salad most times on saltine crackers but sometimes, as a special treat on ritz crackers or even on a croissant

Sausage and egg sandwiches
    n3E7FGY.jpg

symons-polish-boy-kielbasa-sandwiches-XL-RECIPE0616.jpg?itok=ni7hT0ZB
    Polish sausage and fries

Seeing your favourite childhood bites and the memories they conjured ... Thank you ever so much!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

Christmas morning this is a staple.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    RCPV wrote: »

My Mom is the oldest of 7 and grew up peeling potatoes all the time, she refused to make real mashed potatoes and we had the boxed potato flakes. Real mashed potatoes at someone else's house were amazing! My SIL makes them for holidays, it's my favorite dish.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

For my family it’s the cheap pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Moms makes them every Christmas morning since I was a kid. They just taste like Christmas to me now .😊fbt3gyhyuskx.jpeg
    3fldo2qckvef.jpeg
    hc3oncghx5wj.jpeg
    4qcgnpc3jltm.jpeg
  • pancakerunner
    edited December 2019
    Options
    fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

For my family it’s the cheap pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Moms makes them every Christmas morning since I was a kid. They just taste like Christmas to me now .😊fbt3gyhyuskx.jpeg
    3fldo2qckvef.jpeg
    hc3oncghx5wj.jpeg
    4qcgnpc3jltm.jpeg

Oh, yes! Same... it's usually a spread in my house. Also, my dad usually would (and still does) make the fluffliest scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage patties!! I can smell it already... OMG. and toasted cinnamon bread with melted butter!

https://housewifehowtos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Homemade-Breakfast-Sausage.jpg

yqz7d6nyoye5.png
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

3fldo2qckvef.jpeg
    hc3oncghx5wj.jpeg
    4qcgnpc3jltm.jpeg

Try Harris teeter gooey cinammon rolls. Way better.. actually made some this morning.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,594 Member
    Options
    fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

fmovi4wsehd8.jpg

3fldo2qckvef.jpeg
    hc3oncghx5wj.jpeg
    4qcgnpc3jltm.jpeg

Hilarious, the one time a year my mom did and does make breakfast is Christmas morning. She always makes these cinnamon rolls, eggs, and ham.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    ml5klv6jovqd.png

hershey's needs to bring these back or I will..
  • Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    SWEET
    download_35_480x480.jpg?v=1553551638

SAVORY
    2f90f808f64ff4213cc428ca940a4fc7.jpg

SPICY

yya4oohfwpav.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    Options