Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Little Debbies. My Mom would pack one if we had them. "Gooseliver" as well (and often because it was cheap and we didn't have a lot of money). Would drown that crap in mustard to be able to swallow it down. Braunschweiger was the technical name. If you've never had it, be thankful.

https://www.instacart.com/products/188115-kahns-bavarian-brand-braunschweiger-1-lb-16-oz

I love love love Braunschweiger! So good on butter crackers and adding cream cheese is the best!!!
  • LoveyChar
    vd1of7lveyvy.png
    hgzcw0b8cl44.png
    h6eydaozm4c7.png

Growing up we called this "brown" and my mom would serve it with half and half cream... yum. I loved when it was leftover and cold and would clump together!

This makes me think of Cocoa Wheats and I loved that growing up, ate it almost every single morning.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Little Debbies. My Mom would pack one if we had them. "Gooseliver" as well (and often because it was cheap and we didn't have a lot of money). Would drown that crap in mustard to be able to swallow it down. Braunschweiger was the technical name. If you've never had it, be thankful.

https://www.instacart.com/products/188115-kahns-bavarian-brand-braunschweiger-1-lb-16-oz

I love love love Braunschweiger! So good on butter crackers and adding cream cheese is the best!!!

Well now I've met two that love it, you and my Mom years ago. It's healthy for you, for sure.
  • LoveyChar

Well now I've met two that love it, you and my Mom years ago. It's healthy for you, for sure.

Lots of Vitamin A and iron!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Is that the same thing as Liverwurst, or no? I used to like liverwurst sandwiches with mayo and lettuce. LONG time ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Is that the same thing as Liverwurst, or no? I used to like liverwurst sandwiches with mayo and lettuce. LONG time ago.

Pretty much the same thing, or at least extremely similar.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    inmkdd50owvp.png
    used to eat these straight from the pakcage
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    My Grandmothers persimmon pudding.
  • pancakerunner
    Not sure if I'm just weird, but does anyone else remember times in their life by the foods they ate?? Not just childhood
  • ReenieHJ
    Not sure if I'm just weird, but does anyone else remember times in their life by the foods they ate?? Not just childhood

Oh definitely. My 1st apartment I rented with a friend of mine, gourmet eating was Dinty Moore Beef Stew and peanut butter on ritz crackers. Everything else revolved around beer or vodka. :)

Certain events consisted of specific foods, family picnics in the mountains, birthday parties, holidays, cookouts, all of those demanded certain traditions. :) You could always count on them.
    My trip to N.C. food memories were Hush Puppies and the best darn peanut butter milkshake.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

I'm thinking we all do. We have 'comfort' foods - when eating food we involve all our senses and totally links a strong memory to the time/place, etc.,
    Food holds power for sure.
  • pancakerunner
    0h0w2fr99i7u.png
    memories of having this sized box always in the snack cupboard lol
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,685 Member
    gejxhi25ynjj.jpg
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    9rrtdgb7k5ns.png
    ehuhrw8hafkr.png
    q7omoty5f3r1.png
    42yw7w4idgeq.png
  • pancakerunner
    I have this vivid memory of my mom coming home with a Costco box of mini muffins and eating the whole box over liek 3 days haha
  • pancakerunner
    qd3ww91d4r4i.png
    tvq9mwp4tmcc.png
    roadtrips
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    Memories of childhood for dinner. Copycat KFC done in the air fryer from the Chicago Tribune recipe. Copycat KFC slaw. Copycat Kraft Dinner using dehydrated cheese powder I bought online. Green salad with ranch was not from my childhood.
    fwe96kjdo61r.jpeg
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Reading through this brings back some real fond memories, especially the Pizza Hut Buffet (when Pizza Hut was good).

For me though anything my grandmother made was great, but absolutely nothing could beat her fried chicken and the Chicken gravy she made from it. This gravy was so thick you could eat it like pudding if you wanted, or spackled a wall with it, but it was sooo good. Throw that gravy on top of everything on the plate and you probably consumed 3000 calories per plate. That woman, though she hated to, could cook and do it well.

• ReenieHJ
    breefoshee wrote: »
    9rrtdgb7k5ns.png
    ehuhrw8hafkr.png
    q7omoty5f3r1.png
    42yw7w4idgeq.png

Except for the Delaware Punch and beans, that was my diet about 30 years ago. Drank Tab by the gallons, loved Kraft Mac N Cheese, fish sticks.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    oh yes...drinking Tab and or Fresca and suntanning with baby oil 😮